Gransnet forums

News & politics

Rave near Bath - why are the police so helpless?

(34 Posts)
flopen Sun 19-Jul-20 18:05:48

Sorry, no link, as I've just heard this on the radio.
Apparently it was so loud that it could be heard 10 miles away.
I understand how the police can't stop it once it's started. But, given that they must have used bloody big speakers, why not arrest those driving bloody big lorries away from the site?
Perhaps it's being done, but I doubt it.

Dinahmo Mon 20-Jul-20 18:08:31

There have been illegal raves for many years. I remember the from when I lived in Suffolk back in the eighties. So there's nothing you part from the alcohol being cheaper than back then and the drugs being stronger perhaps.

There are no festivals this year so the youngsters need some sort of outlet. In any event, I don't think that lightning strikes the same place twice.

No doubt the police were also engaged in patrolling the towns for all those disobeying the social distancing rules and drinking too much.

Finally, invest in some ear plugs.

flopen Mon 20-Jul-20 18:19:34

apparently, the cohort least likely to wear face masks is young men. A lot of the older people are staying inside to shield themselves, IMO.

I know I'm banging on and on about this, but I really can't see why they couldn't arrest those who were transporting the equipment away from the venue afterwards. They must have been the only people in whacking great big vans (to transport the speakers). Then give them a big fine.

The same thing happened in Bristol recently. OK, it's difficult to stop once it's in full swing, but they were using big pieces of equipment. The police could easily have arrested the owners afterwards and fined them. Why not?

Oldwoman70 Mon 20-Jul-20 18:47:54

Word of these raves are spread through social media, which the police monitor - why didn't they pick up the information, even if it was moved from Frome to Bath, the information had to be spread somehow

25Avalon Mon 20-Jul-20 18:55:54

Flopen because they are A&S P

flopen Mon 20-Jul-20 18:56:50

Recently, we had someone on our (flat) roof. We phoned the police and, because it was classified as someone breaking in and still being in, we had so many police cars, so quickly, we couldn't believe it.
I think that they'll have to change how they police these things because the public are getting pissed off.

Sparklefizz Mon 20-Jul-20 19:09:54

I live in the area and have just seen the Chief Constable interviewed on our local News and answering the complaints. There was a huge amount going on in the Bristol-Bath area over the weekend apparently, with hundreds of arrests, 14 police officers injured (one who received a dislocated shoulder, yet who still returned to work after treatment) and I, for one, after listening to what the police were having to deal with generally over that period of time, understand that they can't be everywhere and doing everything.

Police all over the country have been having a tough time recently with many injuries, also injuries to police horses and dogs. It is completely appalling.

Callistemon Mon 20-Jul-20 19:47:44

I just listened to him too and DH and I agreed that they probably need double the number of police officers as they do seem to have given up on an attempts to police these mass gatherings in the area.

We think the cars and equipment, sound systems etc that were left behind should be crushed.

Sparklefizz Mon 20-Jul-20 21:28:51

Good idea about the crushing Callistemon.