Gransnet forums

News & politics

P C Harper Verdict

(83 Posts)
TerriBull Sat 25-Jul-20 12:21:44

Your thoughts on the manslaughter verdict.

It was reported that the jury needed police protection

tickingbird Fri 31-Jul-20 19:10:48

PC Harper deserved better. As for comments regarding general discussion on jury service - words fail me!

geekesse Fri 31-Jul-20 19:16:16

tickingbird, if it’s ok for an upstanding juror to break the law, then surely other law-breakers deserve leniency? Personally, I think everyone should keep the law all the time. Anyone who doesn’t should answer for their law-breaking.

Iam64 Fri 31-Jul-20 19:43:01

I 've heard so many similar stories about juries, that is questions about the intellectual ability of some jurors, the desire to get it over with so they can go home, the reluctance to convict an alleged perpetrator of rape/domestic abuse/child abuse because 'it will ruin his life".
What's the alternative? We could have professional juries but would that give us a fairer or more balanced outcome? Is it time for juries to be given either verbal or written information relating to the case they consider. Fraud, violence, sexual offences etc?

geekesse Fri 31-Jul-20 19:48:00

The whole point of juries is that they represent ordinary people - some of whom are bigoted, stupid, ignorant, lazy or just plain unpleasant. They are more likely to give a fair hearing to people who have qualities they share. If all juries were made up of white, middle-class, middle-aged Perfect citizens, it would not be a jury of peers, which is what people are entitled to.

FoghornLeghorn Fri 31-Jul-20 19:59:25

I have never forgotten travelling on a bus in London, the route of which passed the Old Bailey. Two women got on and sat behind me and from their conversation it became apparent that they were jury members. They agreed that although they were still in the middle of the trial they intended to find the defendant not guilty as they ‘couldn’t send someone down’. Sadly, this is the mentality you’re dealing with with many of today’s jurors. ☹️

lemongrove Fri 31-Jul-20 20:16:49

I would have hoped for longer sentences, considering that the time will possibly be almost halved ( for good behaviour).
I would prefer that sentences were exactly as handed down, with extra time to be served for bad behaviour in prison.

Kate1949 Fri 31-Jul-20 20:20:47

I never told anyone what was said in our jury room or what the cases were about. We were warned and I am law abiding. I think it is OK to comment that I got the feeling some just wanted to get home. There were hundreds of jurors waiting to be chosen. I never spoke to anyone who wanted to be there.