Gransnet forums

News & politics

Why did Starmer settle out of court Give a grovelling apology and pay out six figure sum?

(235 Posts)
Grany Sat 25-Jul-20 20:06:25

Well he hasn't drawn a line under the issue made it worse. The Labour supporters have helped Jeremy Corbyn him shown support against all the unfairness accusations from the trouble makers.

Chewbacca Sat 25-Jul-20 19:53:47

Starmer drawing a line under the issue and moving on is the most credible thing to do.

And I admired him for doing it. He wants a clean slate; no historical grievances that have rumbled on for years that Corbyn would neither face up to nor address. I'm liking Starmer more and more.

Ilovecheese Sat 25-Jul-20 19:32:12

Yes, there are still people out here who would like a more equal society.
I have to go now, but this is a thread of real interest to me.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 25-Jul-20 19:31:46

Starmer drawing a line under the issue and moving on is the most credible thing to do.

Ilovecheese Sat 25-Jul-20 19:30:29

Winning an election in order to do what though? What are his aims for the country? Does he have any?
As for calling them "so called" surely that should have been investigated, not shut down with a pay off.
How will we ever know now?

lemongrove Sat 25-Jul-20 19:28:49

Galaxy

The hope of actually winning an election.
The fact that you use the phrase so called whistleblowers is just beyond words.

Yup!

There are many deluded Corbyn supporters still out there then.

Grany Sat 25-Jul-20 19:28:09

Many of the whistle blowers are also in the report acting against the leader and Labour's interests.

m.facebook.com/watch/?v=681222762433805&_rdr

Ilovecheese Sat 25-Jul-20 19:27:18

I don't know what Starmer stands for, I am trying very hard to wait and see what policies he supports. I very much object to my money being paid to a bunch of journalists for no good reason that I can see. Labour members are not all well off and the subscription has not always been easy to find. Is the membership just a nuisance to him? Would he rather have rich backers?
I voted for him as leader but am starting to regret that I did.

Galaxy Sat 25-Jul-20 19:24:17

The hope of actually winning an election.
The fact that you use the phrase so called whistleblowers is just beyond words.

Grany Sat 25-Jul-20 19:20:30

The former Director of Public Prosecutions ignored the legal advice and made a political (personal) decision to make the apology and fork out members money with over a six-figure payout to the so-called whistleblowers. labourheartlands.com/sir-keir-starmer-gives-a-grovelling-apology-and-a-bung-to-those-that-worked-hardest-to-harm-the-labour-party/?fbclid=IwAR0Z01sabF3Mm5j2a4G1UD5Oc_d6msF5CfnCtXGpa1urvoMW62udxQLW45c

Carole Morgan is organising this fundraiser.
It is reported that John Ware a reporter for Panorama is taking legal action for libel against former Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn. The relentless attacks on Mr Corbyn, a man of integrity, honesty and humility cannot be allowed to continue and we have an opportunity here to offer him support in a practical way. It will also let him know that his supporters have not forgotten him, nor have they gone away.

A Go Fund Me for Mr Corbyn has raised a quarter of a million so far in just a few days.

www.gofundme.com/f/47gyy-jeremy039s-legal-fund?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=p_cp+share-sheet

A study from Loughborough University has shone a light on how the media joined together to rig the election in favour of Boris Johnson and his Conservative Party, and against Jeremy Corbyn.
bywire.news/articles/revealed-how-the-media-rigged-the-general-election

Starmer is now the Labour leader but is he Establishment a red Tory?
Lots of young people have left Labour and given their reasons They knew what Corbyn stood for What does Starmer stand for?