Gransnet forums

News & politics

Feminist analysis of the Libel case against the Sun anyone?

(53 Posts)
Iam64 Wed 29-Jul-20 13:13:36

GNHQ suggested we post on Feminism if we want a Feminist Section.
I was disappointed this morning to see images of women supporting Johnny Depp outside the Civil Court. The same groups of Women boo'd and hissed, shouted abuse at Amber Heard.

Smileless2012 Wed 29-Jul-20 13:25:02

Yes that is disappointing Iam but I wonder if it has more to do with idolising a film star than feminism.

Galaxy Wed 29-Jul-20 13:33:43

I think its actually a very complex case. Under no circumstances would I support JD but am not sure I would support AH either. Also women being misogynists isnt that unusual.

Galaxy Wed 29-Jul-20 13:35:37

Thanks for starting the thread, I am utterly lazy in starting threads, but am interested in feminism here so I suppose I should get my finger out grin

Oopsminty Wed 29-Jul-20 13:39:21

Maybe they went to see JD. Maybe they're annoyed by AH

Just because we're women doesn't mean we will support all women.

Plenty of evidence to back that up is seen frequently on GN

We're not all going to applaud AH because she's a woman!

merlotgran Wed 29-Jul-20 13:40:30

I agree, Iam. It's sad that the worship of celebrity has such an effect as to skew attitudes and opinions in a disturbing way.

quizqueen Wed 29-Jul-20 13:40:50

I believe Johnny rather than her although I can believe he gets drunk and high on drugs so they are probably as bad as each other. However, she has been known for violence and abusive behaviour in the past but other women, whom Johnny has been in a relationship with, have said he has never done anything to them. Bet he wished he'd stayed with Vanessa now; they were a family for many years.

maddyone Wed 29-Jul-20 13:52:51

I don’t believe either of them, I think they’re both disgusting individuals. I agree with Iam though, it’s disgraceful seeing women congregating to support him.

lemongrove Wed 29-Jul-20 14:01:13

maddyone

I don’t believe either of them, I think they’re both disgusting individuals. I agree with Iam though, it’s disgraceful seeing women congregating to support him.

I think so too.

Lucca Wed 29-Jul-20 14:14:50

Are we allowed to stray from the title a bit ? I’d like to know how people would define feminism ?

Galaxy Wed 29-Jul-20 14:20:10

I would say its feminism is freeing women from oppression but not everyone would agree with me on that definition.

Galaxy Wed 29-Jul-20 14:20:47

Sorry random 'its' there.

TerriBull Wed 29-Jul-20 14:24:56

It's hard to know what conclusions to draw from this case. I admit to really liking JD at one time. I think it's fair to say he's a complex character, and by his own admission spent periods of his life, off his face.

I think some people can just bring out the worst in each other. Previous partners have testified in his defence as to not knowing this violent side of his character, perhaps they are right, in that they never saw that side of him. Vanessa Paradis would have known him well they spent quite a long time together and that partnership produced 2 children. In fact if anything she could have bad mouthed him as I gather he had his head turned by Amber Heard when they were still together, but she has been steadfast in her assertion that he was a nice person when he was with her. That of course doesn't mean that he hasn't abused AH, clearly he has been recorded saying some pretty vile things about her. She also said, I believe, that he pushed Kate Moss down the stairs, I think KM is admirably a "never complain and never explain" type of c'leb, so I don't think she's made any comment about that one way or the other.

Neither of them come out of this well. I think it's possible he may have become violent in this relationship. I think it's also possible that she may also be violent and as such their relationship degenerated into what it became. It is a fact that sometimes women abuse men, but less common of course than the other way round.

I don't agree with women booing and hissing at AH, none of us knows the truth or how the dynamics of their relationship played out. It is quite possible to be nice and kind in some ways, I heard he made a large donation to Great Ormond Street when his daughter was in there, but still be awful in other ways.

I will reserve judgement.

merlotgran Wed 29-Jul-20 14:35:39

Lucca

Are we allowed to stray from the title a bit ? I’d like to know how people would define feminism ?

Why don't you start another thread with this topic?

The more threads about feminism the better if we want HQ to create another forum.

trisher Wed 29-Jul-20 14:38:30

No one should be subjected to abuse but nor should people who have given evidence in a court case stand outside the court and give a press statement. It's nothing to do with feminism. This applies to everyone. As for the court case I don't see how giving evidence in a libel case against a newspaper does anything to protect women from harm. All that seems to have emerged is a violent and unstable relationship between two people, one of whom had a drug problem.

Iam64 Wed 29-Jul-20 14:55:11

My understanding of the definition of feminism is the belief in social, economic and political equality of the sexes.

Callistemon Wed 29-Jul-20 15:55:43

Iam64

GNHQ suggested we post on Feminism if we want a Feminist Section.
I was disappointed this morning to see images of women supporting Johnny Depp outside the Civil Court. The same groups of Women boo'd and hissed, shouted abuse at Amber Heard.

I saw them last night on TV.

Empty headed females giving others a bad name.
Whatever the rights and wrongs of this - and frankly neither of the Depps come out of this smelling of roses - to idolise a drunken drug addict like that is very sad.

paddyanne Wed 29-Jul-20 18:30:53

I think Amber Heards speech outside the court was what was being booed.It was clearly meant to influence a wider audience than she had been given IN the court.I believe I'm a feminist but that doesn't mean supporting someone just because they're a woman ...women do bad things too.Nor does it mean thinking her actions outside at the court were the right thing to do.IF she wanted support surely behaving in a dignified way and not trying to play the victim as she clearly did would have been abetter way to go

varian Wed 29-Jul-20 18:35:35

Why should anyone pay attention to these two sad people?

I can't be bothered with "celebs", especially when they are so unattractive, yet splashed all over the media.

Dinahmo Wed 29-Jul-20 18:39:50

Whilst working on a film set with Vanessa Paradis one of my clients spent a lot of time, in the gaps when she wasn't needed, with the daughter who had been ill. One day JD visited the set and, whilst there, came up to my client to thank her. He spent some time talking to her and her report was that he was a very kind and polite person.

He used to be a very good actor - couldn't say now because I haven't seen many of the Pirates franchise. He was with Winona Ryder for 4 years and VP for 14. Both say he was kind, etc etc and both stated that he was never violent towards them. There is a recording around at the moment in which Amber Heard admits to punching JD several times.

Iam64 Wed 29-Jul-20 18:58:54

I posted on the original thread about this case. I agree, neither Heard nor Depp come out of this libel case well. Follie a Deux or madness of two sprang to mind as the evidence unfolded. Both these people may have relationships that aren't as toxic, out of control, drug/alcohol fuelled as this one.

It isn't necessary to be a feminist to accept that Research is clear. Women suffer significantly more domestic abuse than men. They are more likely to be killed by their partner than to kill their partner. They are most at risk when the relationship is coming to an end.

Johnny Depp sued the Sun because it called him a wife beater. Amber Heard was called as a witness, what was she supposed to do? Refuse to appear at Court? To conclude that "all that has emerged is a violent unstable relationship between two people, one of whom had a drug problem" pre-empts the Judgement which isn't due till September. Depp doesn't only have a drug problem, he has an alcohol problem and the videos and other evidence before the Court suggest anger management was an issue at times.

The attempt by Depp's legal team to make Amber Heard the perpetrator is typical of the ways in which abusers defend themselves. Anyone who has worked in criminal justice or with domestic abuse situations will be familiar with the tactic applied in support of Johnny Depp.

-Deny and Minimise - ie we argued but I never hit her
-Attack (the character of the victim)
-Reverse - victim and offender, he now states she is the abuser.

From my initial reading on this case, it seems Heard behaved in the same way as the majority of victims (female and male). She was ashamed, she kept quiet about the extent of the violence in her relationship. It's difficult not to conclude that so far as domestic abuse is concerned, we're a long way from working to eradicate it.

sodapop Wed 29-Jul-20 19:06:02

I agree varian Sadly good deeds and kindness from ordinary folks is not newsworthy.

Smileless2012 Wed 29-Jul-20 19:15:09

I agree Iam. Feminism is the advocacy of women's rights on the grounds of the equality of the sexes.

Depp taking the Sun to court in IMO is a further example of his abuse of AH.

She had no choice but to attend and he has therefore continued with his abuse by continuing to humiliate her and done so this time, with the world looking on.

kittylester Wed 29-Jul-20 20:31:58

trisher

No one should be subjected to abuse but nor should people who have given evidence in a court case stand outside the court and give a press statement. It's nothing to do with feminism. This applies to everyone. As for the court case I don't see how giving evidence in a libel case against a newspaper does anything to protect women from harm. All that seems to have emerged is a violent and unstable relationship between two people, one of whom had a drug problem.

I agree with trisher's post and also what paddyanne said

trisher Wed 29-Jul-20 21:57:26

Iam64 Amber Heard has a history of violence in relationships. Johnny Depp doesn't. There are others who have spoken about her outbursts. It isn't a simple matter, Yes she should have given evidence in court, but standing on the steps speaking to the press was just a publicity stunt, After all she is an actress.