Gransnet forums

News & politics

Feminist analysis of the Libel case against the Sun anyone?

(54 Posts)
Iam64 Wed 29-Jul-20 13:13:36

GNHQ suggested we post on Feminism if we want a Feminist Section.
I was disappointed this morning to see images of women supporting Johnny Depp outside the Civil Court. The same groups of Women boo'd and hissed, shouted abuse at Amber Heard.

Dinahmo Thu 30-Jul-20 13:42:45

Smileless2012 Aren't they one and the same thing? I always thought that a wife beater was someone who physically assaulted his wife.

Smileless2012 Thu 30-Jul-20 13:50:13

Yes IMO they are Dianahmo unless a man is using reasonable force to defend/protect himself which is why I'm very confused.

There seems to be a lot talk about their mutually abusive relationship which suggests they were physically abusing one another. If JD is claiming he never assaulted AH then it was of course wrong for the Sun to call him a wife beater. If he did because they beat up one another then he is a wife beater.

Iam64 Thu 30-Jul-20 18:52:03

That will be one of the issues the Judge will be considering Smileless2012. The Judges who sit in the Family Courts are faced with allegations and counter allegations. Most of those cases may be not quite as extreme as those before the Judge considering this case. Not many folks have the kind of money and "staff" who will mop up after them as has been seen in this tawdry case. Nonetheless, people are not always honest when accusing their partner of abuse. One thing we can all be relieved about is that Mr D and Ms H didn't have children in the middle of their out of control behaviours.

I think Smileless has identified one of the key issues the Judge will consider. If Mr D is found never to have assaulted AH, the Sun loses this libel case. I remain of the view that Mr D would have been well advised to simply deny and walk away.
Neither of them come out of this without being badly tarnished. I find it difficult to accept his claims to be a southern gentleman who would never abuse a woman when there appear to be numerous texts in which he uses abusive language to describe them.