Gransnet forums

News & politics

QAnon - should we be worried?

(7 Posts)
janeainsworth Wed 29-Jul-20 19:23:42

www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-53507579/qanon-coronavirus-and-the-conspiracy-cult?at_custom1=%5Bpost+type%5D&at_medium=custom7&at_custom4=3F24AF76-CE02-11EA-BC5C-D6243A982C1E&at_custom2=facebook_page&at_campaign=64&at_custom3=BBC+News
Why do people believe all this cr*p?

LadyBella Fri 21-Aug-20 18:53:28

I don't know but agree it is worrying. I never cease to be amazed at how gullible some people are.

varian Fri 21-Aug-20 19:23:18

Why did people vote for brexit? or Trump? or Boris Johnson?

I do not think it was because they were well informed and exercised good judgement. There must be another explanation.

lemongrove Fri 21-Aug-20 20:50:22

Yes, why can’t the masses be sensible Lib Dems like you varian then the UK would be a Paradise.hmm

lemongrove Fri 21-Aug-20 20:52:45

Jane I took a look at the link.....as my Grandmother used to say ‘there’s more out than in’! So many crazy people in the world.

Dinahmo Sat 22-Aug-20 09:34:21

Last week a small group of men hurried through a supermarket shouting at everyone who was wearing a mask.
"Don't believe what you're told by MSM" Mask wearing is a conspiracy" (This was shown on the news)

Also last week, a friend approaching his local supermarket, putting on his mask before he got to the door was shouted at in a similar fashion.

Dorsetcupcake61 Sat 22-Aug-20 10:04:44

It is very unnerving as apparently it's also starting to get support in UK. Apparently conspiracy theories are popular as people would rather believe someone was in control rather than the world be a chaotic place where random things happen. Makes sense interest has exploded in this group this year!
Conspiracy theories can also be very plausible, at least initially.
Why do people believe such apparent nonsense? Often they are isolated or disengaged from society in some way. Once they engage with such information they just spiral further down the rabbit hole. This group also appeals to far right groups.
I'm a recent recruit to Facebook. I keep it to a small group I know in the real world! One of those is the brother of a friend who is in his late 70s. I know I'm liberal but some of his posts have made me see him in a different light. Often they are quite banal and of the nature " I dont care what colour/ gender/ religion you are if you are nice to me etc". Its hard to describe but they imply racism etc. I know a couple of his posts are from this group or affiliated groups.
Twitter is something else I signed up to. I never tweet but good for up to date info from reliable sources. I always find it interesting to look at the comments under a Tweet. People denying the virus exists or is overexaggerated or is a form of social control is extremely common !
So yes,I think we should be concerned. The world at the moment is a chaotic place. You could argue in the UK the government is not viewed favourably/distrusted. Most people have a level of confusion about pandemic rules or are concerned about jobs/work/family/health. With a lack of strong leadership it would be all to easy for extreme groups who do offer answers,however ludicrous, to gain a following.