Gransnet forums

News & politics

New peerages

(52 Posts)
Daisymae Sat 01-Aug-20 08:20:04

Johnson's brother and a Russian born billionaire are amongst the new peers announced this week, despite the House of Lords being already bloated. They really don't care do they?

varian Wed 05-Aug-20 18:43:19

Boris Johnson was never a Leaver or a Remainer.

He has no principles , no beliefs. He has never believed in anything except furthering his personal ambition to become PM.

Unfortunately he never thought beyond that and has no idea how to do the job. He is not, and never has been, a worker, he is a shirker, who has made a career out of getting away with it and so he let's others do the work.

Unfortunately that has led him into the control of Cummings, who in turn appears to be controlled by Putin.

Do any intelligent well informed observers really believe that Cummings/Putin have the best interests of this country at heart????

biba70 Wed 05-Aug-20 14:38:16

Boris is not a closet remainer- and was clearly a remainer and argued convincingly for remain. But he wanted to be PM, above all- and the only way to do so was by backing ERG, with illegal support from Putin, Bannon, Banks and others.

He is perfectly aware that it is a massive mistake - and many expect him to do a massive u-turn at some point over next few months. He knows No Deal will be a disaster- always known it.

varian Wed 05-Aug-20 14:32:00

LibDem plans to reform the House of Lords were abandoned after Conservatives "broke the coalition contract" in 2012,

Stansgran Tue 04-Aug-20 18:03:18

I’ve just signed a petition for the abolition of the H of L. It’s on Change .org.

gangy5 Tue 04-Aug-20 17:28:26

An ETERNITY - waiting for the reform of the House of Lords. What is the problem - getting this done?

Whitewavemark2 Tue 04-Aug-20 15:22:40

The Russians love the new peer.
Boris Johnson's decision to make Evgeny Lebedev a Lord has gone down well in #Moscow. Here's a piece from Komsomolskya Pravda. It describes Evgeny's KGB father Alexander as a "former Soviet diplomat" and says Evgeny is "the first Russian" to become a peer

t.co/gicS5SMa0M?amp=1

varian Sun 02-Aug-20 15:29:14

Matt Carr
@MattCarr55
·
Jul 31
Personally I don’t care much for peerages. But to hand them out to the likes of Fox, Botham, and Hoey because of Brexit, while denying one to a dedicated parliamentarian & public servant like Bercow, takes a stunning combination of corruption and infantile political malice.

twitter.com/MattCarr55/status/1289226543399542784

Callistemon Sat 01-Aug-20 21:41:31

They're all the same.

Tony's Cronies.

Spangler Sat 01-Aug-20 21:36:35

Daisymae

Would any Tory voters like to support this move?

Why just Tory voters Daisymae? Labour supporters might remember Tony's Cronies, and cringe!

During his first term of office, Tony Blair created 203 life peers, which the Right dubbed as: "Tony's Cronies." When his bill, which became known as the House of Lords Appointments Commission, was passed, it removed the rights of hereditary peers to sit in the House of Lords; they were replaced by life peers and the House of Lords came to be called: "a chamber of Tony's Cronies," as many life peers had been appointed by Blair to replace the hereditary peers.

One of the first peers our Tone appointed was Charlie Falconer, his childhood friend and former flatmate,who sat on 14 Cabinet sub-committees and later joined the Cabinet. Me thinks that Boris has seen, and noted, that Tone not only got away with it, he won two more elections, by a landslide.

Callistemon Sat 01-Aug-20 21:30:47

biba70

which is why Johnson wants to appoint his cronnies to do his bidding.

Yes, probably.

However, the occasions I remember were very important for certain sectors of the public, one campaign which I had been fighting for for some time.

lemongrove Sat 01-Aug-20 21:28:30

maddyone

I don’t agree with the honours system. Politicians of all parties use it to ‘honour’ their cronies, the rich and famous, and the civil service members who put their policies into actions. Politicians, pop stars, highly paid civil servants, footballers, sportsmen and women. These people who were already well rewarded get further rewards. I know they throw a few ‘ordinary’ people in, but the whole system is corrupt and it stinks. I’d get rid of it tomorrow.

Yes, all PM’s do this unfortunately and from all sides of politics.Remember Harold Wilson and his cronies, thinking of the raincoat manufacturer!
I don’t agree with the honours lists either maddy it’s high time it went.
biba giving their friends peerages has been going on for a long long time, Johnson isn’t doing anything out of the ordinary, but many people ( me included) wish this outdated charade to come to an end.

biba70 Sat 01-Aug-20 21:21:11

which is why Johnson wants to appoint his cronnies to do his bidding.

Callistemon Sat 01-Aug-20 21:17:08

Another thread where everyone seems to be in agreement.
Count me in.

An anachronism and overdue for reform
We need a Second Chamber but one which is elected.

I can, however, think of at least two occasions when the HOL has overriden the Commons to good effect.

Urmstongran Sat 01-Aug-20 21:06:38

Absolutely apply for it annsixty. You’ve paid into the system and that’s what it’s there for. Good luck. x

maddyone Sat 01-Aug-20 20:53:19

Please apply for it annsixty, you have had a difficult time and it’s more than reasonable that you get it.

annsixty Sat 01-Aug-20 20:29:26

Just multiply that number by the expenses paid and be surprised.
I am very disabled and I know I would be entitled to at least the lower amount of AA and probably the higher.
I have not applied thinking the country really can’t afford it at this difficult time, I am considering changing my mind to make things easier for me.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 01-Aug-20 19:29:20

EllanVannin

Told you that Boris was a closet Remainer.

It’s just his speech backing remain that is in the closet.

EllanVannin Sat 01-Aug-20 19:27:37

Told you that Boris was a closet Remainer.

Urmstongran Sat 01-Aug-20 19:13:05

No it isn’t.
Ken Clarke, Phillip Hammond and Teresa May’s husband, Phillip are all Remainers!

Whitewavemark2 Sat 01-Aug-20 19:03:18

It’s the Brexiters taking back control???

Urmstongran Sat 01-Aug-20 19:01:27

Lord Fowler, the Lord Speaker, said: "The result will be that the House will soon be nearly 830 strong - almost 200 greater than the House of Commons.

Ridiculous, surely?

varian Sat 01-Aug-20 18:34:13

I do believe that those of us who post on the News and Politics section of GN, those who agree with me and those who don't, we are all part of a tiny minority of the population who actually care about politics, or even pay any attention to politics.

vegansrock Sat 01-Aug-20 18:11:06

It’s only the People’s Republic of China’s that has a bigger unelected body. This stinks to be fair.

MayBee70 Sat 01-Aug-20 17:37:37

I must say that, over the past few years the House of Lords have often behaved in a much more honorable way than the sitting government. Which is why Johnson is desperate to fill it with his brexit buddies.

kircubbin2000 Sat 01-Aug-20 17:35:50

I'd never heard of Clare Fox but I couldn't believe that she excuses the Warrington death because there was a war going on at the time! I have lived in N I for 70 years and there was certainly no war here, I think I would have noticed! History is being rewritten..