Gransnet forums

News & politics

lockdown nonsense

(80 Posts)
biba70 Sun 02-Aug-20 09:46:28

So in Manchester, you can now be sacked if you refuse to go to work too close to someone - and you can be fined £100 for sitting next to that someone in your home - and then get official Money Off vouchers to go and sit with anyone in a crowded pub or restaurant.

All our Muslim friends who were stopped from celebrating Eid yesterday with their families should have gone to the pub then- sorted ;)

Illte Sun 02-Aug-20 12:55:10

Thank you Jabberwok. You can have a piece of my cake ?

biba70 Sun 02-Aug-20 13:00:32

Easter was not 'cancelled' with a couple of hours notice- it was in the middle of lock-down.

The point made in the OP is that if a new lock-down was required for some areas- it should have included the pubs too. As Growstuff says, it is the inconsistency which adds up to hypocrisy. Why should people be able to sit indoors in a restaurant, but not in their own home?

MerylStreep Sun 02-Aug-20 13:10:37

biba70
why should people be able to sit indoors in a restaurant but not in their own home
Because numbers in restaurants and pubs ( mostly) are limited. Inviting the world and his wife into your home isn't.
It's numbers.

Jabberwok Sun 02-Aug-20 13:12:18

I look forward to it!!!!!!??
Because in a restaurant people are properly regulated as they are in Pubs, whereas at home? If the eight cars on the drive are to be believed, who knows how many are gathering!

lemongrove Sun 02-Aug-20 13:20:48

MerylStreep

biba70
why should people be able to sit indoors in a restaurant but not in their own home
Because numbers in restaurants and pubs ( mostly) are limited. Inviting the world and his wife into your home isn't.
It's numbers.

Exactly...am starting to think there are a lot of thick people around in this country, even ones that I previously thought were reasonably intelligent.
All this ‘ooher err we can’t understand the rules’ business!
Restaurants and pubs are doing things properly, but extended families crammed together in a terraced house is not doing things properly.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 02-Aug-20 13:22:36

Let’s face it for some posters whatever decisions are made by the UK government they will complain.

The very ones who complained that lockdown happened too late are the very same ones now complaining that these local restrictions were to quick and not enough notice given !!

If my area goes into lockdown on Christmas Eve so be it.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 02-Aug-20 13:24:10

Still haven’t seen anyone condemning the protest marches in Brixton yesterday?

EllanVannin Sun 02-Aug-20 13:27:38

Aw, Glamm. ( couldn't help but smile though ) x

Orangerose Sun 02-Aug-20 13:30:38

GrannyGravy13

Let’s face it for some posters whatever decisions are made by the UK government they will complain.

The very ones who complained that lockdown happened too late are the very same ones now complaining that these local restrictions were to quick and not enough notice given !!

If my area goes into lockdown on Christmas Eve so be it.

Completely agree GG13

EllanVannin Sun 02-Aug-20 13:31:41

I'm quite resigned to a festive-free Christmas, but so long as I stay well, who cares-----is my attitude. Health comes first.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 02-Aug-20 14:01:18

Thought some might find this graph interesting

MaizieD Sun 02-Aug-20 15:13:00

GrannyGravy13

Thought some might find this graph interesting

Well, I might if it was readable. But it isn't.

But you just go on defending the bunch of incompetents we have the misfortune to be governed by.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 02-Aug-20 15:29:44

I will repost it for you MaizieD

MaizieD Sun 02-Aug-20 15:36:54

Makes no difference, GG13.

It's not large enough or clear enough to read (and yes, I do know how to use Gnet and I have clicked on it for a larger image)

Perhaps you'd just like to tell us what killer argument it illustrates.

Rufus2 Sun 02-Aug-20 15:39:01

Canberra of course! After all,they must be to blame
Jabberwok No "after all" about it!
Please re-adjust your sights and if you need to blame anything take aim at all the stupid morons who don't, or can't read instructions, which are always issued in a variety of languages
Also read the "Good Evening xxxDay" thread occasionally to keep up. smile
Good Health.

biba70 Sun 02-Aug-20 15:48:37

Resigned to not beeing with children and grandchildren at Christmas- but I shall make sure we do something very special with it- hopefully somewhere in France.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 02-Aug-20 15:49:15

it is a chart showing cases by 100,000 people

UK is twelfth

Luxembourg 102
Montenegro 86
Spain 34
Malta 31
Sweden 14
Czech Republic 14
Portugal 14
France 11
Croatia 10
Holland 10
Cyprus 8
UK 6
Germany 6
Ireland 3
Greece 3
Norway 2
Hungary 1

These figures are for week ending 1st January

biba70 Sun 02-Aug-20 15:51:16

week ending 1st of Jan - which one, how?

lemongrove Sun 02-Aug-20 15:52:47

That took the wind out of their sails GG13 ?

lemongrove Sun 02-Aug-20 15:54:25

It’s the end of July biba

growstuff Sun 02-Aug-20 15:55:38

MerylStreep

biba70
I suggest you read Nazia Afzals article 'No more hiding from the truth ( covid)
He is 100% behind the government. No doubt he and his family will receive more death threats as they always do when he speaks out against his own community.

Just because his parents were from Pakistan doesn't mean that he belongs to any "community".

GrannyGravy13 Sun 02-Aug-20 15:55:51

Sorry typo week ending 1st August 2020
(Lewis Hamilton’s tyre just had a blow out on last lap of British Grand Prix.....nail biting he went on to win)

growstuff Sun 02-Aug-20 15:58:22

MerylStreep

biba70
It's numbers.

I actually agree that Manchester should have gone into lockdown, but I think it should have gone further. Pubs, restaurants and some other workplaces should have been closed too. Those who are shielding should not have been told to return to work. It would also have been courteous to have informed some of the Muslim leaders of the plans.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 02-Aug-20 15:58:55

Apologies

Italy 3

GrannyGravy13 Sun 02-Aug-20 16:00:37

growstuff I doubt if they informed the Rabbi, The Bishop or any other religious leader.

COVID-19 should come before religious sensibilities.