Gransnet forums

News & politics

lockdown nonsense

(80 Posts)
biba70 Sun 02-Aug-20 09:46:28

So in Manchester, you can now be sacked if you refuse to go to work too close to someone - and you can be fined £100 for sitting next to that someone in your home - and then get official Money Off vouchers to go and sit with anyone in a crowded pub or restaurant.

All our Muslim friends who were stopped from celebrating Eid yesterday with their families should have gone to the pub then- sorted ;)

annsixty Sun 02-Aug-20 21:42:57

A friend of mine , invited to a lunch in her friend’s garden on Friday said to me on Saturday ,I still went as the lockdown was only announced very late on Thursday night and the person hosting the lunch and I decided we didn’t watch any news on Friday morning so it was ok.
How we delude ourselves when it suits us and our plans aren’t spoiled.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 02-Aug-20 20:57:21

growstuff I was referring to your post of 14.05.

My eyesight is perfectly ok.

growstuff Sun 02-Aug-20 20:53:35

GrannyGravy13

Are you denying your post growstuff ?

It’s there for all to see.

Barnard Castle time?

GrannyGravy13 Sun 02-Aug-20 20:40:20

Are you denying your post growstuff ?

It’s there for all to see.

MaizieD Sun 02-Aug-20 20:37:11

growstuff

GrannyGravy13

growstuff your post of 16.05. ^there are some very thick people around^

Scroll back a little further.

I've already suggested that, growstuff grin

I think she's playing the innocent...wink

growstuff Sun 02-Aug-20 19:22:48

GrannyGravy13

Scroll back a little further.

vegansrock Sun 02-Aug-20 18:36:30

My DD is going to a wedding next month. The guests will watch a live stream of the ceremony outside. Then they are all going to a restaurant where 60 guests will be served a meal. There will be some speeches but no music or dancing. People will stay on their tables. The couple have been planning the wedding for 2 years. It was going to be 200 guests . This is their way round the restrictions.

varian Sun 02-Aug-20 18:31:21

I may have misunderstood your question. I tbought that you were questioning the validity of using excess deaths as a viable statistic.

Of course any excess deaths are in unacceptable and our record in the UK is an utter disgrace.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 02-Aug-20 18:23:36

varian

GG13 I would like to know why you think that the excess death statistics are not acceptable.

Surely any excess death is not acceptable?

What a strange question?

lemongrove Sun 02-Aug-20 18:22:47

Are you Swiss by any chance biba ? wink

lemongrove Sun 02-Aug-20 18:21:14

biba70

''but extended families crammed together in a terraced house is not doing things properly.''

very thinly veiled and not far under the surface, for sure ... wow- so who would that be, I wonder. Incredible.

It would be some neighbours, on Saturday having a big family party in their garden ....all ages, gathered around with drinks, food and lots of children and going in and out of the house all the time.Later, in the evening, they were all inside playing music.
Must have been at least 16 people.
angry
If people had behaved correctly all along things would be so much better and there would be no local lockdowns!

varian Sun 02-Aug-20 18:16:03

GG13 I would like to know why you think that the excess death statistics are not acceptable.

lemongrove Sun 02-Aug-20 18:14:24

Haha Grany ( oh dear!)
What would you like the government to do then? No masks?
No local lockdowns in places where it’s needed?Do tell.

Grany Sun 02-Aug-20 18:02:21

Ha Ha

GrannyGravy13 Sun 02-Aug-20 17:57:39

Excess death figures are not acceptable.

Unless the UK GPs start having face to face consultations and referring patients with other symptoms the deaths from Cancer, heart disease etc will far out way the COVID-19 figures.

I thought the latest chart would be of interest to some, putting into context where UK is regarding numbers compared to mainland Europe as of 1/08/2020.

MaizieD Sun 02-Aug-20 17:19:50

GrannyGravy13

You didn't go back far enough, GG13. It wasn't growstuff who first used the word.

I've been busy in the garden, have only just seen your 'chart'. I'm not altogether sure what it has to do with the topic of the thread; what argument it was meant to be a killer for....

I assume that you do, however, think that 60,000+ excess deaths in the UK since April is a perfectly acceptable figure.

Oopsminty Sun 02-Aug-20 16:42:43

Let's look at Japan

Very interesting article here. They didn't close borders, didn't test, test, test, no severe lockdown

Huge population, many old people.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-53188847?fbclid=IwAR1svQxukQF1GHLylFUq9C6lBDLfKSNyezfjPKbHSjE5vk8QOhsRLgYgXwg

They do tend to wear masks as the norm and don't hug and kiss all and sundry the way we do

That's one thing I'll be pleased to see the back of, hugging, kissing and squealing whenever being greeted by anyone.

I'm not a hugger.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 02-Aug-20 16:38:23

growstuff your post of 16.05. there are some very thick people around

growstuff Sun 02-Aug-20 16:32:45

GrannyGravy13

growstuff- I think calling people thick is not a very intelligent statement, it does not exactly show that you have empathy for your fellow humans.

All people have different gifts, I would not expect my gardener to know about brain surgery. That does not make my gardener thick!!!!

It wasn't I who called people "thick". Scroll back.

growstuff Sun 02-Aug-20 16:32:03

biba70

How strange.

The post re certaing family groups in terraced houses was clearly aimed at one section of the population- which I challenged. I am implying that 'thick people' (and I would never use that term) come in all shapes, colours, sizes and types of housing too.

I wouldn't either in normal circumstances. I was responding to another post and I agree that "thick" people come in all sorts of shapes and sizes and live in all sorts of different kinds of housing. I really wish there were an "I'm being sarcastic" emoji.

biba70 Sun 02-Aug-20 16:22:20

And I do have many friends who live in council housing... and they have a great variety of backgrounds too.

biba70 Sun 02-Aug-20 16:21:23

How strange.

The post re certaing family groups in terraced houses was clearly aimed at one section of the population- which I challenged. I am implying that 'thick people' (and I would never use that term) come in all shapes, colours, sizes and types of housing too.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 02-Aug-20 16:12:41

I have a family member who lives in a terraced house, three generations and her partners sibling what are you implying biba70 (your style is very reminiscent of another GN poster by the way?)

biba70 Sun 02-Aug-20 16:10:09

plenty of thick people around for sure - plenty of every colour or creed.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 02-Aug-20 16:10:05

growstuff- I think calling people thick is not a very intelligent statement, it does not exactly show that you have empathy for your fellow humans.

All people have different gifts, I would not expect my gardener to know about brain surgery. That does not make my gardener thick!!!!