Gransnet forums

News & politics

Over 50’s on lockdown. What next??

(99 Posts)
GrandmaJan Sun 02-Aug-20 13:08:58

I’ve just heard the news that Boris is considering asking over 50’s to stay at home if there’s an increase in the virus. If this does happen how on earth are they going to police it? After almost 5 months of abiding by the rules I’m now absolutely fed up. When we are out it’s the over 50’s who seem to be towing the line whereas the younger generation have been more complacent.

MamaCaz Sun 02-Aug-20 17:35:51

growstuff

It would be a good thing if it meant that over 50s with underlying health issues wouldn't be forced back to work and couldn't be sacked if they refuse to do so.

People need more protection not being thrown to the wolves to take their chances.

I agree, but would go further - I think it would be a good thing if people of any age with underlying health issues (those who were considered at-risk enough to be on the shielding list) wouldn't be forced back to work now, and not just those who are over 50.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 02-Aug-20 18:06:03

At the peak in April London had 4,800 + people in hospital. Pubs, Bars and restaurants have been open for four weeks.

There are now just over 100 people in London in hospital.

I would have thought if there was going to be a second wave it would have happened by now?

varian Sun 02-Aug-20 18:14:05

The loosening of regulations was quite recent. There is a fourteen day incubation period.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 02-Aug-20 18:18:57

varian

The loosening of regulations was quite recent. There is a fourteen day incubation period.

I think that bars and restaurants were allowed to open on Saturday 5th July?

Four weeks is enough to show a spike?

varian Sun 02-Aug-20 18:33:37

We must accept that it is imoprtant to reopen schools.

BlueBelle Sun 02-Aug-20 18:50:51

illte of course 50 is the new 40 I have children in their 50 s running marathons Extreme Ironman and triathlons Their lifestyle s nothing like my Nans, my older granny was sitting in her pinny never going anywhere or doing anything she was worn out from bringing lots of children up in poor circumstance not comparable
I am younger and fitter than her at 25 years older
They cannot keep 50 years old in lockdown or even fit and well 70 +s

PinkCakes Sun 02-Aug-20 18:56:59

Once again, the papers are creating sensationalist stories of what might happen, what could happen. No actual facts at all, causing some people to panic.

Illte Sun 02-Aug-20 19:00:37

Yes Bluebelle, but unfortunately it makes not a jot of difference to the severity of infection from Covid.

Age is the main determining factor.

BlueBelle Sun 02-Aug-20 19:17:01

illte Of course it does If you are 50 or whatever age and are fit and healthy you will be able to get over infections like you do other infections if you sit in a chair all day never getting into the fresh air, may be overweight and not very fit you maybe won’t
Of course your health your vitamin D levels and your smoking/ drinking and general fitness is what counts not your age

growstuff Sun 02-Aug-20 19:18:28

The latest priority seems to be getting schools back in September. To do that, the transmission rate needs to be brought right down. Some scientists are suggesting the infection rate should be no more than one in a million, which is achievable if everybody (and I mean everybody) did their bit.

If the number of infections is tiny, isolated cases could be dealt with and community transmission could be avoided. I think this should have happened weeks ago.

If the infection rate isn't brought down quickly, schools won't remain open for long. Children will become super spreaders, more people than necessary will die and we'll be back to the kind of mortality rate we had in April.

I can't find a reliable source that the plan is to "lockdown" over 50s and suspect it could be a "dead cat" to divert attention from the latest Tory MP to be arrested.

It would be interesting to know what the rationale of shielding over 50s would be.

Personally, I'm not bothered. I've been out - very briefly - three time since March and have no intention of going anywhere until it's safe to do so (which it isn't).

growstuff Sun 02-Aug-20 19:20:21

BlueBelle

illte Of course it does If you are 50 or whatever age and are fit and healthy you will be able to get over infections like you do other infections if you sit in a chair all day never getting into the fresh air, may be overweight and not very fit you maybe won’t
Of course your health your vitamin D levels and your smoking/ drinking and general fitness is what counts not your age

That's not true. Age is the biggest single risk factor for being badly affected by Covid-19.

It's absolute nonsense to claim this infection is like a bad case of flu.

grumppa Sun 02-Aug-20 19:44:09

56 year-old Boris in lockdown? Sounds good to me. Lock-up would be a good alternative.

varian Sun 02-Aug-20 19:50:40

What exactly is Boris Johnson for? He has delegated finance to Rishi and everything else to Dominic Cummings.

We all thought that presentation was his thing but now he is advertising for a highly paid communications expert to do that for him. What is the point of him????

Illte Sun 02-Aug-20 20:20:02

Thank you growstuff. No it's nothing like flu and Bluebelle, I'm sorry, but you are so wrong.

Three of my family are heavily involved in fighting this disease. In medicine and research.

Please believe that fitness makes no difference to the age factor.

MaizieD Sun 02-Aug-20 20:21:05

varian

What exactly is Boris Johnson for? He has delegated finance to Rishi and everything else to Dominic Cummings.

We all thought that presentation was his thing but now he is advertising for a highly paid communications expert to do that for him. What is the point of him????

He cheers us all up, varian...

Apparently...

EllanVannin Sun 02-Aug-20 20:28:38

Lockdown and stay at home hasn't worked in Melbourne as it has reported its highest cases and deaths.

What's the answer ?

Callistemon Sun 02-Aug-20 20:34:47

Well, Victoria has a Premier who encouraged everyone out on the streets to protest. He set an example by going himself.

Is there a connection?

growstuff Sun 02-Aug-20 20:37:00

Michael Gove's wife, Sarah Vine, claims to have the answer ...

Callistemon Sun 02-Aug-20 20:40:03

We were just discussing the same but we're a darn sight older than her.

dizzyblonde Sun 02-Aug-20 20:48:03

Both myself and my DH have had Covid, we are both in our 50s, we are both slightly overweight and DH has AF. We both say it was nothing like flu, I was ten times worse when I had flu. I am well aware that this is not the case for everyone but the majority of people do recover well. It is, of course, tragic for those who don’t but death or serious effects are not inevitable regardless of age.

growstuff Sun 02-Aug-20 20:49:26

EllanVannin

Lockdown and stay at home hasn't worked in Melbourne as it has reported its highest cases and deaths.

What's the answer ?

Why in Melbourne?

No masks.

Outbreaks in care homes, school, factories and housing estates.

People breaking the rules.

People arriving from outside the state and not being tested.

EllanVannin Sun 02-Aug-20 20:50:13

Callistemon, they blamed overseas visitors.

EllanVannin Sun 02-Aug-20 20:53:05

Care homes, meat factories,schools and public housing estates.

growstuff Sun 02-Aug-20 20:54:17

And no masks!

growstuff Sun 02-Aug-20 20:54:47

And people not following the rules.