Gransnet forums

News & politics

More immigrants crossing the Channel

(453 Posts)
Fennel Sun 09-Aug-20 12:34:53

www.france24.com/en/20200808-uk-calls-on-france-to-help-crack-down-on-migrants-crossing-english-channel
post-Brexit - should France still be helping to stop the influx to the UK?
What do you think?

Puzzler61 Sun 09-Aug-20 17:10:47

If they work in the agricultural communities won’t they be paid - a living wage hopefully, and not need benefits Fennel?

Nortsat Sun 09-Aug-20 17:20:21

A relative posted this on Facebook:

The UK currently accommodates at most 44,000 asylum seekers in total.‬
‪That figure accounts for just 0.06% of the UK population.‬
‪Asylum seekers are entitled to an allowance of £37.75 a week to live on.‬
‪In total, this allowance for every single asylum seeker in the entire country comes to, at most, £1.6m a week, or £86m every year.‬
‪However, in comparison, just this week it was revealed that the government wasted almost double that amount after handing a £252m contract to a company owned by one of Liz Truss’s own advisors to source PPE and they ended up chucking £150m of it down the drain by buying useless masks. This is just one example in a truly monstrous list of wasted taxpayers’ money on Boris Johnson’s watch.‬
‪If you’re angry because you think this country can’t afford asylum seekers, you should be 100 times more angry at the astonishing waste caused by this incompetent and deeply corrupt government. ‬
(Words by EvolvePolitics)

There surely must be an Inquiry into the profligate procurement decisions made during lockdown, after the abandonment of normal procurement rules and requirements.

westendgirl Sun 09-Aug-20 17:28:32

Nortsat, that really puts things in perspective.

I am sure that every right minded person would support an Inquiry into all the Government's awarding of contracts, usually without proper tenders and often to contacts.

MaizieD Sun 09-Aug-20 17:32:59

I believe it is also the case that asylum seekers must ask for asylum in the first safe country they come to

Well, that isn't actually the case. I've posted an extract about it by a Law professor on the other thread dealing with this topic. There is no hard and fast law about this.

Jane10 Sun 09-Aug-20 17:37:09

Many people are posting on twitter at how fed up they are at the enormous hoops they have to jump through in order to move here. They have to prove they will earn a certain amount etc etc. The whole procedure is complex and expensive. Then they see inflatable boats turning up and people being welcomed ashore. I can see their point.
The traffickers need to be dealt with hard!

MaizieD Sun 09-Aug-20 17:37:30

Please don't forget that many of the asylum seekers and refugees are well educated, well qualified people. They're not just field labourers.

I saw it pointed out that if they have the resourcefulness and the courage to come here in rubber dinghies they're probably likely to be assets to the UK once established... It's a thought...

Jane10 Sun 09-Aug-20 18:33:44

They chuck their passports and bank cards overboard.
I think 'the authorities' should put up films in all the various departure points with full info on exactly what these would-be migrants would be faced with here. Perhaps with film of people who have done it and ended up being deported.
I was very struck once by seeing a young African man talking with great confidence of how he would be going Cambridge University and being given a house and benefits before bringing his family over. He'd been told by the traffickers that this would be easily arranged once he was here. The reality came as a big shock to him.

mummyfeo Sun 09-Aug-20 18:36:49

France does not want these migrants, they don't want to be in France. The French Navy has been seen guiding immigrant vessels into UK waters

biba70 Sun 09-Aug-20 18:52:20

Would be a good idea for moderators (please) to merge both threads on the subject. Thanks.

Iam64 Sun 09-Aug-20 19:10:34

Nortsat,thanks for the facts. Of course the facts will be ignored by those who claim the Uk takes more than its share of migrants. They're usually the same group who insist that people come here for our generous benefits package.
Asylum seekers aren't allowed to work. They are provided with basic accommodation and £37.75 a week to live on. Needless to say, many of them end up working in the so called black economy. If allowed to work, they could use the training and skills they have to contribute to this country, as well as pay tax and insurance.
As for the idea that the UK should police the French ports, ridiculous.

Fennel Sun 09-Aug-20 20:07:32

biba - I've suggested that too by pm to GNHQ.
Such an important subject.

Fennel Sun 09-Aug-20 20:08:31

ps apologies for missing your earlier thread topic.

varian Sun 09-Aug-20 20:12:40

Because of the brexit nonsense we no longer have any influence with France, so let's not pretend we have.

The UK attracts refugees but does not admit them to the extent that other countries do We will have to address this and many other similar issues on our own from now on thanks to the ludicrous brexit nonsense.

Urmstongran Sun 09-Aug-20 20:34:20

Apparently France want £30,000,000 p.a. to help with the migrant crisis.

Funny to think migrants in our waters are regarded as a U.K. problem whilst fish in the U.K. waters is up for grabs ...

?

biba70 Sun 09-Aug-20 20:37:34

this truly exposes the folly of alienating your closest neighbours and allies. We certainly do NOT have all the cards here.

MaizieD Sun 09-Aug-20 20:52:55

Back to the '70s with a vengeance.

Someone posted this on twitter today.

kircubbin2000 Sun 09-Aug-20 21:08:58

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Furret Sun 09-Aug-20 21:22:32

The UK currently accommodates at most 44,000 asylum seekers in total.‬ That figure accounts for just 0.06% of the UK population.‬

Asylum seekers are entitled to an allowance of £37.75 a week to live on.‬ In total, this allowance for every single asylum seeker in the entire country comes to, at most, £1.6m a week, or £86m every year.‬

‪However, in comparison, just this week it was revealed that the government wasted almost double that amount after handing a £252m contract to a company owned by one of Liz Truss’s own advisors to source PPE and they ended up chucking £150m of it down the drain by buying useless masks. This is just one example in a truly monstrous list of wasted taxpayers’ money on Boris Johnson’s watch.‬

‪If you’re angry because you think this country can’t afford asylum seekers, you should be 100 times more angry at the astonishing waste caused by this incompetent and deeply corrupt government. ‬

Furret Sun 09-Aug-20 21:23:34

MaizieD

Please don't forget that many of the asylum seekers and refugees are well educated, well qualified people. They're not just field labourers.

I saw it pointed out that if they have the resourcefulness and the courage to come here in rubber dinghies they're probably likely to be assets to the UK once established... It's a thought...

Something overlooked by many.

Urmstongran Sun 09-Aug-20 21:24:43

Use Australia’s strategy.

Fingerprint them then tow every one back to France.

Oz puts up with Left wing criticism I’m sure we can too. Australia doesn't have a migrant problem like us they just turn them around no matter what the conditions snd refuse to let them land.

Urmstongran Sun 09-Aug-20 21:27:16

Oh come on Furret that’s slightly disingenuous saying Asylum seekers are entitled to an allowance of £37.75 a week to live on

That must surely exclude housing/ hostel or hotel accommodation! That alone would rack up the cost.

Furret Sun 09-Aug-20 21:27:31

These are humans beings fleeing the horrors of their own countries. Where is your humanity? Has anyone on here (with one well-known exception) actually met and talked to these people, these members of the human race?

Furret Sun 09-Aug-20 21:28:54

Urmstongran

Oh come on Furret that’s slightly disingenuous saying Asylum seekers are entitled to an allowance of £37.75 a week to live on

That must surely exclude housing/ hostel or hotel accommodation! That alone would rack up the cost.

Do you dispute that allowance figure then?

Furret Sun 09-Aug-20 21:31:11

I don’t call myself a Christian. I never go to church except for weddings and funerals. But people like you are saying ‘no room at the inn. Go away we are full’.

I’m disgusted

Tweedle24 Sun 09-Aug-20 21:33:55

I heard a radio programme about this. Negotiations are going on with France but, what came out in the discussion was that one of the reasons the immigrants are so keen to get here is France’s human rights record. I had no idea it was so bad. Of course, we all know about the camps on the north coast but, it is so much worse than that.

I do hope that something comes out of the negotiations but, I am not excessively optimistic. It is a global problem and, I think, will take many years to solve, if ever.