Gransnet forums

News & politics

Where's the P.M.? Shouldn't he be in view, not hiding away ?

(512 Posts)
westendgirl Thu 20-Aug-20 12:13:28

Look at the disruptions of recent days;
Exam results and fudged response from Education secretary , passing the buck,stretching the truth about when he really knew about the algorithm,

increase in covid figures
;
Migrants in small boats and Patel's response,

News of contract to work on Ofqual awarded to long term associates of Gove and Cummings without tender.

Not removing whip from MP accused of rape.

So it goes on .Surely a P.M worth his salt should give the nation the impression he is in charge.As usual Johnson is nowhere to be seen.

Jabberwok Thu 20-Aug-20 14:31:39

Teresa May took a summer holiday both in this country and abroad during her premiership without comment despite the chaos of her stance on Brexit which she seemed incapable of making any sense of. Boris is glamping not camping, and yes I expect modern technology is possible in Scotland!

Grandad1943 Thu 20-Aug-20 14:43:17

Well if Boris is once again "gone missing", Kier Starmer has hardly been a storm of activity pointing that out as leader of her majesties opposition.

Hardly the performance of "A Prime Minister In Waiting" many may think even in his own party.

Once again the invisible man.

vegansrock Thu 20-Aug-20 14:54:40

How many previous paternity leaves did he take one wonders.
Starmer is criticising the government daily - have a look at Twitter. The Tory controlled media choose not to report it.

Jabberwok Thu 20-Aug-20 14:57:14

Two invisible men!!! I like Boris too! Sir Kier? I'm sure he's a nice enough chap, but a bit humourless?, dour even? but ok!
My lady in the post office thinks Rishi Sunak is just the ticket! Give it a few more years and the Conservatives have got a winner there!

Greeneyedgirl Thu 20-Aug-20 14:58:23

You are right about Starmer Grandad1943 and he is one of the reasons I left the LP some weeks ago, after being a member for years. Some of my friends have done the same, and we weren’t Momentum members either.

Jabberwok Thu 20-Aug-20 14:58:41

I expect 'he' took what he was entitled to, like everyone else! Why would he not?!!

Grandad1943 Thu 20-Aug-20 15:01:42

vegansrock

How many previous paternity leaves did he take one wonders.
Starmer is criticising the government daily - have a look at Twitter. The Tory controlled media choose not to report it.

Starmer should be in front of the main tv and radio media attacking Johnson. John McDonald was the master of using that media while in the shadow cabinet, but there again where are the present shadow cabinet members if Starmer cannot gain the energy to address that media.

mokryna Thu 20-Aug-20 15:04:49

Watching how Nicola Sturgeon broadcasts clear information on TV.

Gwyneth Thu 20-Aug-20 15:10:23

I do think Boris deserves a break despite public opinion of him. He was very ill and men are now entitled to paternity leave so why not Boris?

growstuff Thu 20-Aug-20 15:15:55

Who's John McDonald?

Gwyneth Thu 20-Aug-20 15:19:51

Westendgirl picking up on one point you make on their thread with regard to MP accused of rape. What happened to innocent until proven guilty? If the alleged victim is not named why should the alleged accuser be named? Until the trial no one knows who is actually telling the truth.

Greeneyedgirl Thu 20-Aug-20 15:20:21

Who’s Boris??

growstuff Thu 20-Aug-20 15:23:22

Writing in the Mirror today:

Homeless children hit 14-year high as 130,000 stuck in B&Bs and temporary shelter
Some 129,380 children were in temporary accommodation on March 31 - the highest figure recorded since summer 2006

www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/breaking-homeless-children-hit-14-22550658

growstuff Thu 20-Aug-20 15:25:15

www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/boris-johnson-eviction-ban-expiration-renters-housing-keir-starmer-a9678386.html

Greeneyedgirl Thu 20-Aug-20 15:47:22

It is indeed very sad that in a wealthy country such as ours many renters through no fault of their own, may become homeless, as the period of temporary eviction ban ends in a few days time. Jenrick has made no move to extend the ban, but there again he doesn’t fear ever being homeless. Hasn’t he got 3 homes, perhaps he is planning to offer accommodation to some of the families who will face eviction.

sparklingsilver28 Thu 20-Aug-20 15:49:19

My take on Boris Johnson, and yes, I did vote for him, is lack of experience like the rest of his government. He and his government live in the protected bubble of Westminster and have no understanding or knowledge of how most of the British nation live.

My observation of government response in this pandemic is lack of experience and a really serious issue. Ministers running departments for which they have neither experience nor more importantly common-sense practical ability. A university degree does not make you an expert on all or any given topic – it is simply a measure of formal education ability. Years ago, a good education started you on the second rung of the ladder and you worked your way up gaining experience. I once read the greatest WW2 British Spy was a man originally working as a warehouse labourer in Suffolk.

From where I sit, government ministers should have served their apprenticeship in the real world for at least 20 years before being eligible to become a minister. And able to demonstrate by record an achieving progression throughout the period.

growstuff Thu 20-Aug-20 15:50:47

Greeneyedgirl

It is indeed very sad that in a wealthy country such as ours many renters through no fault of their own, may become homeless, as the period of temporary eviction ban ends in a few days time. Jenrick has made no move to extend the ban, but there again he doesn’t fear ever being homeless. Hasn’t he got 3 homes, perhaps he is planning to offer accommodation to some of the families who will face eviction.

Starmer has been tweeting quite furiously about it.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 20-Aug-20 15:59:04

Three tweets on Keir Starmers that I can see on his time line growstuff regarding homelessness and the lifting of the ban on evictions, one of those was yesterday.

Boris Johnson has been tweeting regarding the sentencing of the brother of the Manchester Arena bomber, so he is around.

Daddima Thu 20-Aug-20 16:00:30

Gwyneth

I do think Boris deserves a break despite public opinion of him. He was very ill and men are now entitled to paternity leave so why not Boris?

Boris was ‘very ill’? So why did the reports that he was ‘in good spirits’ and ‘playing Sudoko and joking with staff’, and that all his treatment was ‘precautionary’ suddenly change to him being at death’s door, and plans being made to deal with his demise?

vegansrock Thu 20-Aug-20 16:01:56

You don’t think Johnson actually tweets himself do you?

GrannyGravy13 Thu 20-Aug-20 16:03:54

vegansrock

You don’t think Johnson actually tweets himself do you?

Do you think that Keir Starmer writes and sends his own tweets?

sparklingsilver28 Thu 20-Aug-20 16:03:56

Starmer has been tweeting quite furiously about it.

And therein lies the problem. He needs to put himself about in a much wider sphere than Twitter if he is serious about becoming Prime Minister. Many voters do not subscribe to the nonsense of social media.

Jaxjacky Thu 20-Aug-20 16:13:37

I doubt the PM is out of contact and probably spends a good part of his days in various virtual ‘meetings’ if he was more physically visible he’d probably be derided for something or other as would most politicians.
Greeneyedgirl your comments remind of a Bob Geldolf and others who offered to house refugees a few years ago, never happened, all PR. How many people with spare rooms/multiple properties would seriously, actually, house a homeless person or refugee?

GrannyGravy13 Thu 20-Aug-20 16:16:56

Jaxjacky we have a very dear friend who has had several young male refugees living with them, some good some bad, some stories they told were able to be verified many were not, nevertheless the stories were horrific.

JenniferEccles Thu 20-Aug-20 16:20:45

Doesn’t it make sense to have a PM who is properly rested, ready to deal with whatever comes next in this awful year?

For goodness sake don’t begrudge him a holiday after everything he’s been through.

Whether you like him or not, it’s in no one’s interest to have an exhausted PM at the helm at the best of times, and these are certainly not the best of times are they?

He’s doing what he said he would do - supporting our own tourist industry rather than jetting off to a luxury villa in the Med, much as he would probably prefer that !