Gransnet forums

News & politics

Where's the P.M.? Shouldn't he be in view, not hiding away ?

(512 Posts)
westendgirl Thu 20-Aug-20 12:13:28

Look at the disruptions of recent days;
Exam results and fudged response from Education secretary , passing the buck,stretching the truth about when he really knew about the algorithm,

increase in covid figures
;
Migrants in small boats and Patel's response,

News of contract to work on Ofqual awarded to long term associates of Gove and Cummings without tender.

Not removing whip from MP accused of rape.

So it goes on .Surely a P.M worth his salt should give the nation the impression he is in charge.As usual Johnson is nowhere to be seen.

varian Thu 20-Aug-20 16:25:25

How many holidays has he had this year?

Pantglas2 Thu 20-Aug-20 16:26:37

I don’t understand the obsession with seeing the Prime Minister - nobody saw teachers ( amongst others) for months but we’ve been reliably informed that they were working the whole time. Different standards, much?

varian Thu 20-Aug-20 16:29:17

Should a leader not be visible?

Pantglas2 Thu 20-Aug-20 16:32:07

Of course, up to a point - as should teachers......! I can recall seeing teachers everywhere during my school days but rarely saw the headmaster- I didn’t assume he was skiving!

GrannyGravy13 Thu 20-Aug-20 16:32:33

He was in Northern Ireland six days ago, if you want to see him the video is on Google and I assume UTube.

JenniferEccles Thu 20-Aug-20 16:34:36

Not when he’s on holiday, no and not even when he is back working.

We don’t need to see him constantly do we?

We are not toddlers!

Greeneyedgirl Thu 20-Aug-20 16:35:19

He should indeed be visible, particularly when the country lurches from one crisis to another, and inept ministers are left to carry the can.
Today it is exam results, tomorrow homelessness, Ms Sturgeon at least shows decisive leadership and appears weekly to give a lucid update. Scotland has also extended the eviction ban.

growstuff Thu 20-Aug-20 16:45:26

From 3-13 August, Starmer visited:

Falmouth
Stoke
Broughton
Camden
Peterborough
Wakfield
Barnsley
Darlington

growstuff Thu 20-Aug-20 16:46:00

JenniferEccles

Not when he’s on holiday, no and not even when he is back working.

We don’t need to see him constantly do we?

We are not toddlers!

He obviously thinks we are.

Jabberwok Thu 20-Aug-20 16:46:56

Not sure Northern Ireland was a holiday!!!! I think he's been twice in the last 7 months counting this one. FGS, he's only in Scotland, hardly the other side of the world! As for his time in hospital!! Anyone who is unsure of the circumstances, Google it and find out for yourselves, as I just can't be bothered to go over it yet again!! When has it become the case that P.M's can NEVER take a holiday?!! or does this sudden requirement only apply to Boris?! Most people expect three or four in the space of 12 months, abroad! There really are some weird comments on here!

Jabberwok Thu 20-Aug-20 16:49:46

Whose visited the most towns? What else has KS got to do, apart from PMQ's?! He's not exactly responsible for, or running anything! or is it a competition?!

Jaxjacky Thu 20-Aug-20 16:49:58

GrannyGravy13 your friend is to be admired, I don’t think I could do it.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 20-Aug-20 16:59:43

Jabberwok N.Ireland wasn't a holiday he had meetings with the head honcho.

Curlywhirly Thu 20-Aug-20 17:09:03

Jabberwok Starmer is a serving MP and leader of the opposition; I would think he has a great deal more than PMQT and visiting towns to contend with. And JenniferEccles as for Johnson deserving a holiday as he needs a rest - going on holiday with a baby isn't my idea of a rest! Bet he can't wait to get back to work

JenniferEccles Thu 20-Aug-20 17:15:20

No growstuff Boris doesn’t think we are toddlers but judging by the wailing for him on here, I think some on here might be ?

MayBee70 Thu 20-Aug-20 17:26:31

Didn’t he go to Ireland to say yet again that there wasn’t going to be a border of any kind....again? And sometimes he pops up to do some sort of strange electioneering type photo shoot. Or make a statement supporting the latest of his ministers to cock things up. So he’s quite busy, really. By his standards.

Smileless2012 Thu 20-Aug-20 17:28:31

Why is it assumed he's hiding?

MayBee70 Thu 20-Aug-20 17:35:14

Ok: perhaps invisible is more suitable.

westendgirl Thu 20-Aug-20 17:37:52

The point is that as P.M. he should be in charge visibly. I think he missed a good P.R. opportunity by not speaking to the young people whose exam results were messed up by the incompetence of his government.
He was on holiday for the London riots (when he was Mayor of London). David Cameron cut his holiday short to come back then. Johnson was on holiday when floods happened in 2020. He missed important Cobra meetings 2020, on holiday and did not put in an appearance during the A level fiasco.
He is supposed to be in charge, but people no longer trust him , his judgement or his cronies .
Obviously there are those for whom he can do no wrong.

MayBee70 Thu 20-Aug-20 18:00:09

Especially as we’re in the middle of a world pandemic. Which a lot of people seem to have forgotten about.

MayBee70 Thu 20-Aug-20 18:01:29

Of, and brexit: let’s not forget brexit. But, of course, a lot of people think brexit is all done and dusted as well. Even though we still don’t have a deal. Not even an oven ready one.

growstuff Thu 20-Aug-20 18:04:58

I was reading that the government has a four stage plan to prepare us for Brexit. Apparently, focus groups have shown that the most difficult people who need to be told how to prepare are those who voted Brexit because some of them still don't believe that anything will be any different. hmm

Jabberwok Thu 20-Aug-20 18:05:36

Why would you not be having a good holiday because you have your baby with you?! No doubt they have plenty of help if required as most hotels offer family service, so would hardly be a tie! A lot of parents do actually enjoy having little ones with them, we certainly did!
Didn't Offqual have just a tinsy bit to do with the exam fiasco? Didn't notice too many apologies from them for their completely inadequate algorithm!
I thought the question was, how many holidays had Boris had THIS year, not ones he had years ago! Do you people never give up?!!!

growstuff Thu 20-Aug-20 18:08:17

JenniferEccles

No growstuff Boris doesn’t think we are toddlers but judging by the wailing for him on here, I think some on here might be ?

Are you his confidante? grin I doubt very much you have any idea what Johnson thinks.

I actually think it's quite grown up to expect the country to have a leader who leads and is seen to be leading. Maybe you don't.

Jabberwok Thu 20-Aug-20 18:08:35

It was the WA that was oven ready, not the trade deal. But then you know that really MB.70. Just another silly comment!