Gransnet forums

News & politics

Bannon arrested and in prison for fraud ...

(76 Posts)
biba70 Thu 20-Aug-20 17:14:59

good, at last. Shame he has such dangerous allies in the UK- remember this

youtu.be/9lzJ_8hC-yE

MaizieD Thu 20-Aug-20 19:58:33

Didn't Bannon think rather highly of Johnson?

Met him frequently in London and helped him to write his resignation speech when Foreign Secretary.

And he's fulsome in his praise for Cummings..

Urmstongran Thu 20-Aug-20 20:09:26

I like Michelle Obama!
?

growstuff Thu 20-Aug-20 21:14:10

As thread distractions go, that's not one of your better efforts Urmstongran.

EllanVannin Thu 20-Aug-20 21:15:07

Me too Urmston.

Urmstongran Thu 20-Aug-20 21:38:19

I was trying to convinceGillT57 I’m not a right wing nut job.
Charming turn of phrase isn’t it?

Love how the liberals get personal and mean.

Play the ball and not the man?

MaizieD Thu 20-Aug-20 22:40:58

I was trying to convinceGillT57 I’m not a right wing nut job.

'Liking' Michele Obama doesn't really quite hack it.

Perhaps you could try condemning the increasingly corrupt and undemocratic government we are suffering, Ug and stop making Trumplike comments. Then we might believe you...

welbeck Thu 20-Aug-20 22:53:33

www.masonsfasteners.com/ProductGrp/Brass-Wing-Nut

Urmst, i can see you in a rather fetching headress based on the above, a la micky or minnie mouse.

MawB2 Thu 20-Aug-20 23:01:08

Urmstongran

I like Michelle Obama!
?

Her speech for the Democratic Convention was brilliant.

welbeck Thu 20-Aug-20 23:05:03

careful, i can feel a consensus coming on...
that would never do.

quizqueen Thu 20-Aug-20 23:16:29

Impressive drone photography! This video was filmed by a drone controlled by a man sitting in a lawn chair. He would move his location to different sections where wall construction was taking place. Music and title work were then added to the film and . . VOILA! . . the resultant video.

The filming was done in January 2020. Donald fulfils his promise to build the wall.

www.youtube.com/embed/RJ6FX1_yXJU

Not sure if it will play-maybe cut and paste it, if you are interested.

welbeck Thu 20-Aug-20 23:18:00

so where did the wall money go.

Lucca Thu 20-Aug-20 23:57:36

Quizqueen. Yes .? Your point is ?

growstuff Fri 21-Aug-20 04:10:50

MaizieD

Didn't Bannon think rather highly of Johnson?

Met him frequently in London and helped him to write his resignation speech when Foreign Secretary.

And he's fulsome in his praise for Cummings..

I really am surprised that anybody who has taken any notice at all of American politics over the last four years and the connections between Trump, Breitbart, Farage and Cummings has never heard of Steve Bannon.

Could it be that people don't want to discuss him?

I don't think he was ever that friendly with Johnson, who dislikes Farage. Both Johnson and Rees-Mogg have distanced themselves from Bannon. Cummings is the link via Cambridge Analytica. Bannon called Cummings a "brilliant guy" in an interview.

growstuff Fri 21-Aug-20 04:20:44

Bannon has also been implicated as a link with Wikileaks and Russian intelligence services in the indictment and subsequent conviction of Roger Stone.

Farage is on video thanking Bannon for his help in delivering Brexit.

growstuff Fri 21-Aug-20 04:33:21

Bannon discussed with Farage the idea of fronting a global alliance of populist and far-right politicians, including Viktor Orban, with Farage in charge.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lzJ_8hC-yE

They had plans to undermine May and install Johnson as Prime Minister, despite Bannon's reservations about him.

growstuff Fri 21-Aug-20 04:42:25

This is the clip of Farage thanking Bannon and Breitbart for Brexit. Apparently, he's tried to get the clip removed from social media.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeYue9mVyeo

growstuff Fri 21-Aug-20 04:55:49

welbeck

so where did the wall money go.

In the indictment, it's alleged the money was used for personal expenses.

MaizieD Fri 21-Aug-20 07:38:42

I don't think he was ever that friendly with Johnson,

He is on video record claiming to have helped with that speech. Would he exaggerate his influence do you think?

Iam64 Fri 21-Aug-20 08:36:07

I've always seen Bannon as something of a Bond villain. Mysterious influence, desire for world domination. I'm not going by the way.

growstuff Fri 21-Aug-20 10:30:31

His influence isn't mysterious. He was Trump's closest adviser and founded Breitbart, which wasn't at all mysterious about its right-wing and racist agenda. He's now in partnership with Raheem Kassam, who was Farage's adviser in UKIP.

growstuff Fri 21-Aug-20 10:34:17

Maizie I'm not sure. Farage has been going round trying to say Bannon influenced Johnson, but I think that could be an attempt to undermine Johnson. Bannon definitely had a meeting with Rees-Mogg, but he's tried to distance himself too. I think Bannon is too toxic for even them.

Alexa Fri 21-Aug-20 10:40:32

Is petty crime typical of extreme right politicians, or do they usually do bigger crimes like depriving the masses of right to roam?

growstuff Fri 21-Aug-20 10:47:42

By definition, right wingers care more about individuals (themselves) than society and, therefore, have little respect for laws, which have been created to protect society.

growstuff Fri 21-Aug-20 10:48:40

Unless, of course, they are laws which prevent opposition to their cause.

GillT57 Fri 21-Aug-20 11:28:26

I've always seen Bannon as something of a Bond villain. Mysterious influence, me too, I see him as the smoking man in The X Files. As an irrelevant aside, I always thinks he looks as if he needs a good shower and shave.