Gransnet forums

News & politics

Bannon arrested and in prison for fraud ...

(76 Posts)
biba70 Thu 20-Aug-20 17:14:59

good, at last. Shame he has such dangerous allies in the UK- remember this

youtu.be/9lzJ_8hC-yE

Urmstongran Fri 21-Aug-20 11:35:26

I’ve read that Bannon has a problem with alcohol. Trump employed him for 5 months and dispensed with his services two years ago.

Trump is teetotal.

Iam64 Fri 21-Aug-20 11:38:36

GillT57, exactly. I mistyped earlier, saying I wasn't "going" I meant to say I wasn't joking.
Urmston, his whole presentation, weight, flabby red face, poor self care suggests he's a drinker. Trump is tea total I think because of negative influence of drinkers in his family

varian Fri 21-Aug-20 12:22:06

Bannon is an admirer of the President of the Philippines, Rodrigo Duterte, one of those he told Farage would be part of his group of world wide populist leaders.

Frequently described as a populist and a nationalist, Duterte's political success has been aided by his vocal support for the extrajudicial killing of drug users and other criminals. Human rights groups have documented over 1,400 killings allegedly by death squads operating in Davao between 1998 and May 2016; the victims were mainly drug users, petty criminals, and street children. A 2009 report by the Philippine Commission on Human Rights confirmed the "systematic practice of extrajudicial killings" by the Davao Death Squad.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rodrigo_Duterte

Petera Fri 21-Aug-20 12:27:08

Urmstongran

Didn't Hillary pay for Chelsea’s wedding from her "foundation"?
?

No.

POGS Fri 21-Aug-20 13:01:50

It's a non negotiable fact if it is proven by ' due process' not the Kangaroo Court Steve Bannon, Brian Kolfage, Andrew Badolato, and Timothy Shea have misused funds fraudulently then they are guilty.

End of, no conspiracy theory, no partisan politics is worth a grain of salt if found guilty and due process has taken place then they will deserve what they get.

Iam64 Fri 21-Aug-20 13:55:19

POGS you are right of course. Have you watched the Netflix documentary Filthy Rich? It's based on the investigation into Epstein that led to his 12 month prison term. He served that by simply sleeping in the prison, he was out and about during the day. The level of corruption shown was shocking and I hope that isn't replicated.
I wasn't planning to watch because I suspected it would be overly dramatised. It isn't. It's excellent. Sorry for going slightly off piste there

varian Fri 21-Aug-20 13:57:10

The Philippines, like the UK, USA and Hungary uses a First Past The Post voting system.

Bannon knows that these sham democracies are more ripe for takeover by populist politicians elected by a minority of voters, unlike true democracies where a Proportional Representation voting system is better able to protect democracy.

The basis of this extreme right wing politics is to stir up hatred by identifying enemies and stirring the emotions of fearful voters. Immigrants are a good target.

POGS Fri 21-Aug-20 14:56:49

Varian

This about funding fraud though isn't it?

If it is seen through the eyes of partisan politics then the crap can be thrown in both left and right directions.

If you want parties such as UKIP who knows. maybe Muslim Brotherhood, ANTIFA Black Lives Matter , Islamic State of the Levant, more nationalist parties to become part of the UK political system then Proportional Representation gives them the Golden Ticket.

The only good thing would be the public is made aware of what their aims are, then again only possibly !

Whitewavemark2 Fri 21-Aug-20 15:12:01

POGS

Varian

This about funding fraud though isn't it?

If it is seen through the eyes of partisan politics then the crap can be thrown in both left and right directions.

If you want parties such as UKIP who knows. maybe Muslim Brotherhood, ANTIFA Black Lives Matter , Islamic State of the Levant, more nationalist parties to become part of the UK political system then Proportional Representation gives them the Golden Ticket.

The only good thing would be the public is made aware of what their aims are, then again only possibly !

Wow! That is definitely a different take on PR????

varian Fri 21-Aug-20 15:13:00

That sort of argument has been used before POGS but many countries have changed from FPTP to PR and as far as I know, none have changed back.,

varian Fri 21-Aug-20 15:15:45

Brexit bankroller Arron Banks’s close relationship with the controversial data firm Cambridge Analytica – and the key role played by former Trump chief strategist Steve Bannon in the early days of Banks’s Brexit campaign – have been laid bare in explosive new emails obtained by openDemocracy.

www.opendemocracy.net/en/dark-money-investigations/brexit-bankroller-arron-banks-cambridge-analytica-and-steve-bannon-expl/

POGS Fri 21-Aug-20 15:23:44

Iam

No I did not watch it, not a particular fan of Netflix docus to be honest.

I think he may have had what was called a 'cushy' time whilst he was at the Palm Beach County Jail for his first offence in 2008 with 13 months prison time.

My belief is he was convicted again in 2019 and sentenced, I think, 45 years Jail time to be served at the Metropolitan Correction Centre, New York where we all know mystery surrounds his death by hanging in his cell.

I think the latter jail sentence certainly was not as 'cushy' if that was the case as Palm Beach.

Aren't there cases pending about the guards coming up soon, that will be interesting to follow.

varian Fri 21-Aug-20 15:41:19

"Seems clear that if they go down it will not be for white nationalism but for defrauding the white nationalists."

twitter.com/page88/status/1296468048421978112

growstuff Fri 21-Aug-20 16:01:14

Anybody who doesn't realise that there are people who spread ideas across national boundaries is being naive. Sometimes, as with Bannon, LePen and Farage, they don't have an official role, but they are nonetheless influential. It used to be that Communists were the big international bogeymen, but these days most of them are right-wingers.

I don't want to sound like a conspiracy theorist - there's enough of that about! However, people like Bannon are dangerous. I know this is unrelated, but if he has been guilty of fraud, it will be good to see him convicted. I can't say I have much sympathy with the people who have allegedly been defrauded. Most of the people connected to Trump, who have been convicted, have been let off lightly.

biba70 Sat 22-Aug-20 13:42:53

Very dangerous indeed - and with strong links to an array of UK people of some influence- be they Farage and Yaxley-Lemon (Tomy Robinson)- Rees-Mogg or indeed Johnson- close, very close.

Iam64 Sat 22-Aug-20 13:47:09

Which brings us back to where are the good people, strong enough and well informed enough to challenge these dangerous people/groups

varian Sat 22-Aug-20 13:52:42

Bannon was accused of defrauding people who gave tens of millions to a private fund which existed, Bannon claimed, to finance the construction of a wall on the border with Mexico. The real purpose of that fund and others, federal prosecutors say, was to cover the “luxury” lifestyle expenses of Bannon and his fellow defendants.

“This entire fiasco is to stop people who want to build the wall,” Bannon declared outside a Manhattan courthouse, proclaiming his innocence.

Depending on how – and whom – you count, Bannon was the seventh former close Trump adviser to be arrested, face charges, plead guilty or to be convicted of a crime since the 45th president took office.

Former campaign chairman Paul Manafort (convicted: tax fraud, bank fraud) is in home confinement due to Covid-19; former adviser Roger Stone (convicted: obstruction, false statements) received a presidential commutation; former adviser Michael Cohen (guilty plea: campaign finance crimes, lying to Congress) is in home confinement; former national security adviser Michael Flynn (guilty plea: lying to the FBI) is awaiting a ruling on a request to dismiss charges; former adviser Rick Gates (guilty plea: lying to investigators) has completed a prison term; and former adviser George Papadopoulos (guilty plea: lying) has completed a prison term.

“I believe it unprecedented in any US administration for so many of the closest circle of persons around the president to have been shown to be conmen, grifters and base criminals,” said Patrick Cotter, a former federal prosecutor who was part of the team that convicted the Gambino family boss John Gotti, in an email.

“While previous administrations had their share of those trying to personally profit and those willing to break the law to serve the political interests of the president, what is unique about the Trump administration is the large number of people in direct contact with the president, often for years, who are revealed to be out-and-out fraudsters for whom crime is apparently part of their lifestyle and character.”

www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/aug/21/donald-trump-law-crime-steve-bannon

growstuff Sat 22-Aug-20 14:19:58

Iam64

Which brings us back to where are the good people, strong enough and well informed enough to challenge these dangerous people/groups

Good people are all around us. Even if you're only one of the little people and don't have the money or influence to make a huge difference, you can still use your brain to question and challenge.

There are some good people around with money, who can make a difference. Most of them aren't in Parliament, although a few are.

welbeck Sat 22-Aug-20 17:22:05

who are the few ?

growstuff Sat 22-Aug-20 18:25:35

welbeck

who are the few ?

For a start ...

the-citizens.com/russia

Add:

Julian Lewis

growstuff Sat 22-Aug-20 19:28:41

What is going on at the Daily Mail?

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8647523/Steve-Bannons-links-Brexit-Indicted-Trump-aide-ally-Nigel-Farage.html

The world has turned upside down! shock

varian Sat 22-Aug-20 19:31:57

Wow! The Daily Mail is telling the truth!

Whitewavemark2 Sat 22-Aug-20 19:46:47

Don’t forget the DM has changed its editor.

growstuff Sat 22-Aug-20 19:51:13

I know it has, but it can't have changed that much, can I?

Am I being cynical in thinking it might be softening us up for Gove as PM?

growstuff Sat 22-Aug-20 19:52:15

"can it" not "can I"