Gransnet forums

News & politics

A group has been created with the aim of removing the government

(360 Posts)
Grany Fri 21-Aug-20 08:54:39

This government is useless in everything they are doing or not doing. Demonstrations have not been effective. So an online group has been created which it hopes can spread gain millions of people with aim of then saying look we want to remove this useless government.

So what do GNetters think could this work?

Colin Blakemore

I am creating A group of like minded individuals to remove the government

remove-the-tory-government.mn.co/posts/7581420?utm_source=manual&fbclid=IwAR2Nii9jMWIx_P9tkGczfw0xXmVWo34lUDnUwoJ1IZiFSDanxeXmX1XyV5k

MsSafina Fri 21-Aug-20 10:29:18

Let's replace them with Mr Legohead and the Marxist Party.

quizqueen Fri 21-Aug-20 10:29:40

What I think is... that the Lefties of the world have no respect for democracy.

Last 4 UK elections...lost
EU referendum ...lost
Scotland referendum...lost
USA Democrats ...lost
the last 2 European Elections .....lost

lemongrove Fri 21-Aug-20 10:32:24

..but all can be won again by an online petition QQ ?

Anniebach Fri 21-Aug-20 10:34:57

I thought the only way to remove a government was a general
election , silly me

sf101 Fri 21-Aug-20 10:38:34

Cloud cuckoo land !!!!

growstuff Fri 21-Aug-20 10:41:49

Anniebach

I thought the only way to remove a government was a general
election , silly me

In theory, governments can be removed for other reasons - if, for example, they lose their overall majority.

I would be absolutely amazed if Johnson makes it to the next general election. The Conservatives themselves will replace him.

growstuff Fri 21-Aug-20 10:43:15

quizqueen

EU referendum ...lost
USA Democrats ...lost

I don't think you quite understand democracy. It doesn't cease to exist when there's no election.

Davidhs Fri 21-Aug-20 10:54:31

Optimism has no bounds, they is no way the Tories are going to be moved until the next election, maybe there will be a change of leader, maybe a softening of policies if we are lucky.

The very best hope is a credible opposition at the next election.

Grany Fri 21-Aug-20 10:55:46

This is what they say
This is a new group.

1. What is the plan?

In a democracy the government must do what the majority want. The current government’s “majority” is actually a minority of 37% of the electorate. If enough people (>50% of the electorate) can be brought together the government would have no choice but back down! The government would then be replaced by a Temporary National Coalition government who would implement an electoral system of proportional representation. All we need is for everyone to join together! I know it’s a big goal, but it’s not impossible!

2. How can a government with a “huge majority” be removed?

The answer to this question is, “with a huge majority!” ? What you have to realise is that this government’s “huge majority” is nothing of the sort! They won their 80 seat majority with only 37% of the electorate vote! That means that 63% did NOT vote for them! I.e. a “huge majority” of the UK electorate did NOT vote for the Tories, they either didn’t vote, or they voted for someone else! The fact is that the majority of the electorate actually voted for parties who would have given a second referendum on Brexit, but because of the First Past The Post electoral system we have, it was possible for the Tories to win the election. So, if we can get the majority of the electorate to join us we can demand in one voice that they relinquish power. Any government faced by a REAL majority opposing them would be wise to concede because the alternative could be revolution or civil war! I therefore believe that if we can prove that the real majority of the electorate do not want this Tory government, then they can be removed.

henetha Fri 21-Aug-20 10:57:41

Rubbish! The lefties are getting desperate.

Kamiso Fri 21-Aug-20 11:10:51

Bring down the democratically elected government? That might not end so well? No matter how much you lie to yourself, that is precisely what is being suggested and how other dictators got started.

I suppose you’re not the first to think a dictatorship is a good idea. They never seem to work out as promised and a lot of people end up in prison or dead, often those closest to the new regime leader who suddenly fears a threat to his (or her) newly found power.

Good job we live in a democracy because, with treasonous opinions expressed here, a number of Grannynetters would be waiting for a knock on their door and would never be heard of again!

maddyone Fri 21-Aug-20 11:14:23

Wouldn’t there need to be an election to change the government?

Kamiso Fri 21-Aug-20 11:16:49

quizqueen

EU referendum ...lost
USA Democrats ...lost

Wouldn’t time be better spent working out how to reunite the shattered Labour Party and coming to some kind of compromise that would convince the electorate that it would be safe to vote them in again. Trying to blame everyone else and potentially evoke a civil war really doesn’t help at all.

DiscoDancer1975 Fri 21-Aug-20 11:16:58

So who’s going to do it better then? I’d love to meet them!

Grany Fri 21-Aug-20 11:22:28

The trouble is that with this useless inadequate corrupt government people are wondering what can they do to lesson will the damage.
Four years is long time to wait and in that time won't have much of a democracy Selling our NHS to America we will have insurance based system for one thing

Devorgilla Fri 21-Aug-20 11:26:41

growstuff, 10.18am, absolutely right. It will be the Tories themselves who remove Johnson. The Tories have always got rid of those they see as failing or less electable. They will keep him only a long as he is useful and takes the hit for Brexit and the fallout from COVID19. Who will replace him is anyone's guess. I doubt there will be an election before 2024. Who gives up power with a majority like that? After the election I hope we will have a Labour victory with KS as PM. 'Red Wall' Tory MPs were elected to 'get Brexit done'. How will they react once it is done? Amazing how loyalties can change when your pay packet, and seat, is on the line.

Illte Fri 21-Aug-20 11:29:25

I'll just ask again.

How would we select the members if the new coalition? Practically. The actual process not the ideology.

Who would be running the country while whatever it is is being put into place?

maddyone Fri 21-Aug-20 11:30:12

I think you’re right Devorgilla.
The Tories themselves to ditch BJ at whatever they perceive as the right time. I suspect it won’t happen until after December 31st this year.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 21-Aug-20 11:30:31

DiscoDancer1975

So who’s going to do it better then? I’d love to meet them!

I’m quite interested in who could do worse.

maddyone Fri 21-Aug-20 11:32:28

I don’t think we can have a ‘coalition’ because the majority is too big. In order to change the government, there must be an election.

Blossoming Fri 21-Aug-20 11:34:12

“ A group has been created with the aim of removing the government “

Erm, isn’t there already one? The opposition?

wicklowwinnie Fri 21-Aug-20 11:49:32

An insurance based scheme for the NHS would be a very good idea. Perhaps people would finally start to appreciate it!!!

Neilspurgeon0 Fri 21-Aug-20 11:53:23

No way, this is the way that the French Revolution started (not online of course), which, whilst a good idea to start with, finished up with the TERROR and Napoleon.

Democracy may not be the best way to run a country, but it is infinitely better than any viable alternatives on offer including this lunacy.

GillT57 Fri 21-Aug-20 11:54:55

As much as I despair at this current administration with the well reported and discussed corruption, lack of leadership, lies etc., I don't want them out of office. I want them to own the mess of their own making, the accumulation of 10+ years of unnecessary and politically motivated austerity, the fast approaching Brexit social and economic disaster, and their appalling handling of the covid19 pandemic.

25Avalon Fri 21-Aug-20 11:55:45

Those who criticise me without reading up on the subject matter how about reading www.tabletmagcom article “The truth about George Soros November 19th 2018” or www.city-journal.org “Connoisseur of Chaos/George Soros” as well as www,v4na.com “Anti police anarchists sing from Soros’s hymn sheet”