Gransnet forums

News & politics

Land of Hope and Glory

(120 Posts)
biba70 Thu 27-Aug-20 10:56:22

discuss

Chewbacca Thu 27-Aug-20 12:01:10

discuss sounded to me like a command from a teacher.

Exactly how I felt about the opening post too MerylStreep.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 27-Aug-20 12:02:08

Off thread but pertaining to bad language, we knew an elderly gentleman with colourful language. He did however curb his tongue when young children were in his company.

Walking along the road one day one of our 4 yr old said look Mum there's loads of dog sugar everywhere, we did not know whether to laugh or cry!

GrannyGravy13 Thu 27-Aug-20 12:03:00

Well the OP hasn't returned to let us know their opinion?

growstuff Thu 27-Aug-20 12:05:28

Firecracker123

It's another nail in the coffin for the BBC I support the campaign. I haven't got a TV licence and I'm not getting one, I don't watch the BBC or live tv.

Maybe that's why the Tories who started this latest culture war did it. It's just another excuse to justify withdrawing funding from the BBC.

vegansrock Thu 27-Aug-20 12:06:11

Land of Lying Tories more like

growstuff Thu 27-Aug-20 12:08:44

vegansrock

Land of Lying Tories more like

But nobody cares about the lies, if they're defending our sacred land of hope and glory from marauding woke folk!

Parsley3 Thu 27-Aug-20 12:12:00

Firecracker123

The BBC trying to ban Land of Hope and Glory has actually united Middle England against the woke Liberal lefties. I love this song and Rule Brittania and also Jerusalem they make me proud to be English.

Perhaps changing the lyrics to LOHAG will unite Middle England even more. I now have an ear worm ?
“Land of Toffs and Tories....”
There is a second line just waiting to appear.

biba70 Thu 27-Aug-20 12:12:55

GrannyGravy - the OP thinks it is better to let others give their opinion without the cue of the OP - and also been very busy organising a concert for tomorrow night.

I think growstuff above is right. I saw a video which prompted this thread- a group of ult-right, covered in English flags and placards, attempting to sing it, but not able to as they did not know the words, nor the music - and many looking as though they had a few screws and bits and pieces missing- not edifying.

I loved singing the song at the end of Proms, live or watching on TV - it is a great tune indeed. But the world has changed, and personally, in the current context, it would make sense to tone it down a tad- and accept it is just insensitive right now.
The inability to re-assess and adapt, has caused the end of many civilisations in the past.

JenniferEccles Thu 27-Aug-20 12:15:10

I love Jerusalem and Land of Hope and Glory.

I am so pleased Boris spoke up in defence of both songs

He had to tread carefully of course but his obvious irritation at the way things are going here was apparent.

Ellianne Thu 27-Aug-20 12:26:05

discusssounded to me like a command from a teacher.
I agree. What would you like us to discuss? The music, the lyrics, its usage, the current hooha?

sparklingsilver28 Thu 27-Aug-20 12:28:11

Anniebach

I do wonder if those who use ‘f’ do so to their children / grandchildren, speaking to people they meet in shops etc. Probably.

Those who use such language reveal limited vocabulary and demeaning intellect.

biba70 Thu 27-Aug-20 12:33:03

Ellianne- left deliberately open, so you can comment on either- OP should not dictate and neither should a good teacher ;)

Ellianne Thu 27-Aug-20 12:36:01

OK biba. Can I ask about this then, in a polite manner?

been very busy organising a concert for tomorrow night.
Are concerts allowed now? And how can rehearsals have been carried out over the past few months? I thought singing was not allowed?

BBbevan Thu 27-Aug-20 12:45:59

I agree with Annie To some people the ‘f’ word is just another adjective.

Lucca Thu 27-Aug-20 12:46:16

sparklingsilver28

Anniebach

I do wonder if those who use ‘f’ do so to their children / grandchildren, speaking to people they meet in shops etc. Probably.

Those who use such language reveal limited vocabulary and demeaning intellect.

On occasions when exasperated my language can be a little ripe.
I have an extremely good vocabulary as it happens.
Philip Larkin wrote an excellent poem “They .... you up your mum and dad”. Are you saying a man who was offered the position of Poet Laureate had a limited vocabulary.. ?
Not sure what a demeaning intellect is though ?

Whitewavemark2 Thu 27-Aug-20 12:48:30

Tbh I don’t give a toss, when there is so much disaster all around and we are having to tolerate a useless government to try and mend it all.

biba70 Thu 27-Aug-20 13:04:00

Ellianne - this is a small concert- private - Tibetan and Cristal bowls and a few other instruments- with proper distancing. No rehearsal as Eva gives similar concerts regularly- but I am sure she has been practising at home. So calming, so relaxing- and so needed right now. Thanks.

Ellianne Thu 27-Aug-20 13:15:28

Sounds nice biba. Enjoy it.
Apparently RSCM is keen to get choirs up and running again. I guess Christmas will seem strange without, but singing is one of the more dangerous activities.

moggie57 Thu 27-Aug-20 13:21:40

stuff the ones who say dont sing . last night proms people would just sing anyway ..and no i dont swear its crude and rude...no tv licence here either....not that i watch any tv just dvds pre recorded..

allium Thu 27-Aug-20 13:35:22

The sooner the BBC is subscription only the better.

MawB2 Thu 27-Aug-20 13:38:53

biba70

Ellianne - this is a small concert- private - Tibetan and Cristal bowls and a few other instruments- with proper distancing. No rehearsal as Eva gives similar concerts regularly- but I am sure she has been practising at home. So calming, so relaxing- and so needed right now. Thanks.

Even private Biba-is there no restriction on numbers in Switzerland?

Anniebach Thu 27-Aug-20 13:40:57

Lucca the ‘f’ word is offensive to many, fact.

biba70 Thu 27-Aug-20 13:45:13

Totally agree with Simon Rattle. And felt just the same at the time of the Falklands, and the Belgrano was shot in the back.

www.facebook.com/watch/?v=616683382608445&extid=KC1jSqS3q7CaXk0z

biba70 Thu 27-Aug-20 13:45:54

This won't be in Switzerland ?!?

JenniferEccles Thu 27-Aug-20 13:53:07

With reference to your comment about the f word around children Anniebach I had exactly the same thought a few years ago when I looked at the Mumsnet forum.

I was so shocked at the use of that word (plus other obscenities of course) used SO much on that site that it put me off.

I also wondered if any of these mothers had children looking over their shoulder as they were typing.

No wonder we have so many foul mouthed teens around.