Gransnet forums

News & politics

Harassing migrants by the far right

(117 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Sat 29-Aug-20 06:51:55

Video footage has emerged of members of a far right group entering a place of safety and refuge for migrants and showing them knocking on doors saying that as tax payers they have every right to question these people.

It sent shivers down my spine as it seemed to echo the behaviour in 1930s Germany.

biba70 Sat 29-Aug-20 12:02:41

but it seems our GN colleagues with right leanings, and those definitely right wing- do not comment.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 29-Aug-20 12:12:56

biba70

but it seems our GN colleagues with right leanings, and those definitely right wing- do not comment.

Sorry biba70 this right of centre GN has a life outside of GN!!!

I have just seen this thread, and like most people totally deplore the actions of this group.

If the evidence is admissible then they should be brought to justice. Hopefully if they are prosecuted with a stiff sentence it will deter others from the same organisation committing what is in my opinion a heinous crime.

merlotgran Sat 29-Aug-20 12:17:45

Ditto GrannyGravy's post.

biba I think you will find that a lot of us are well used to your taunting and that's why some choose to ignore your comments.

LauraNorder Sat 29-Aug-20 12:24:38

Ditto GrannyGravy's post.

All decent human beings deplore racism and Conservatives are no exception.

There are racists on all sides of the political spectrum, I doubt many of them could even write X on a ballot paper.

biba70 Sat 29-Aug-20 12:42:38

just an observation - so thanks for your contributions.

However, I have to disagree that there are racists on all sides of the political spectrum. Makes no sense.

MissAdventure Sat 29-Aug-20 12:44:15

It makes perfect sense to me.

biba70 Sat 29-Aug-20 12:47:08

Could you define this? As it is not my experience at all.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 29-Aug-20 12:49:39

biba70 racist folks come in all shapes, sizes and political persuasions.

biba70 Sat 29-Aug-20 12:53:57

shape and size, yes- not political persuasions, in my experience. None of those I am 'aligned with' politically are racist.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 29-Aug-20 12:55:42

biba70 are you saying that only those folks who are right of centre are capable of being racist?

If so that is one of the most ludicrous posts I have ever seen on GN!!

Gwyneth Sat 29-Aug-20 12:56:39

Ditto Grannygravys post. I have no particular political leanings and yes I have a life outside this forum. I’m tired of the implication that if your politics are not extreme left wing then you must be a racist. Neither do I agree with the persistent nasty and personal comments re Boris Johnson and his partner and child. I’ve noticed that there are some posters on here no matter what the thread is about have to make uncalled for comments about Boris Johnson. You need to get a life because it’s getting very tedious and boring.

Gwyneth Sat 29-Aug-20 13:00:05

And I deplore the way migrants have been treated as any decent human being would.

biba70 Sat 29-Aug-20 13:08:50

GG13, no, this is not what I said- but yes, the vast majority are.

LauraNorder Sat 29-Aug-20 13:10:22

Can only really give anecdotal examples.
A horrid old cousin of mine and his cronies, great fans of Arthur Scargill, Michael Foot and more recently Corbyn still use the most abhorrent racist language.
An apparently intelligent, degree holding, Conservative voter I know is overtly racist.
A Libdem acquaintance was recently overheard complaining at falling property values as the area was being taken over by ......................I won't repeat his words but believe me they were racist.
I have friends of all colours, creeds and political persuasions who are not racist. Good and bad in everyone but thankfully mostly good.

Pantglas2 Sat 29-Aug-20 13:11:50

I have no political leanings although I’m perceived as right wing by my Labour friends and family and a lefty by the Tories!

To suggest that only right wingers are racist is a disingenuous nonsense - I have been dropped on Facebook and real life by two different friends (one staunch Momentum, t’other card carrying commie) because I didn’t ‘like’ their anti Semitic jokes.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 29-Aug-20 13:15:26

biba70

Those left of centre are just as likely to be racist as anyone else.

Galaxy Sat 29-Aug-20 13:16:19

I am a leftie, believe you me the labour party is full of many who are racist and sexist, as is the conservative party, political leanings are not a magic wand, it would be lovely if it was so.

LauraNorder Sat 29-Aug-20 13:16:22

biba70 all right of centre people are racist

What a ridiculous assumption.

This is the most biased, prejudiced, narrow minded statement I have ever heard.

Greeneyedgirl Sat 29-Aug-20 13:17:43

I feel so sad that human beings should treat fellow humans who have already suffering so much, in this way, but am heartened by the fact that these right wing groups do not represent the majority of us.
In the Independent a spokesperson for Kent Refugee Action Network said that they had been overwhelmed with donations and offers of help.
I do not however think we should be complacent, or naive about the rise of some extreme right wing groups, who seem to be collaborating and supporting each other.

Galaxy Sat 29-Aug-20 13:18:19

Ashlea Simon by the way is really unpleasant, I especially loathe the way she uses the armed services to further her 'cause'.

Summerlove Sat 29-Aug-20 13:30:32

I absolutely agree that people of all political persuasions can be racist.

However, from what I see, it’s more Conservative party lines that are more xenophobic
“Get brexit done”
“Make America Great Again”
“Take Back Canada”

It’s usually people who self identify as “right wing” who are less likely to accept immigrants/asylum seekers/“boat people”

EllanVannin Sat 29-Aug-20 14:15:31

It'll be those who've never done a days work in their lives to afford the time to go around persecuting people. Morons.

biba70 Sat 29-Aug-20 16:05:15

Laura 'biba70 all right of centre people are racist'

where have I said that? What a ridiculous assumption you are making, bordering on slander.

EllanVannin Sat 29-Aug-20 16:11:58

There'll be another bunch of ne'er do wells holding up flights at airports on Monday. Have these people got nothing else to do ? Extinction something---they need to be grin

Sarnia Sat 29-Aug-20 16:17:03

This is not acceptable on many levels BUT there are groups and individuals out there who think our small island is overcrowded with migrants. The tardiness of the Government and the inefficient Border Control incite people such as this group to take matters into their own hands. Failure to nip this in the bud pretty smartly with firm deterrents could result in a vigilante society and where will that leave us?