Gransnet forums

News & politics

Love Island stars and influencers paid to promote Test and Trace.

(17 Posts)
Galaxy Fri 04-Sep-20 21:16:17

I was a trustee for a charity,based in the North East, we approached a number of local celebrities, Denise Robertson, the agony aunt gave freely of her name and time, I have never forgotten it.

Kamiso Fri 04-Sep-20 21:12:30

In the early days of vulva cancer diagnosis the support group I was involved with decided to ask a few “celebrities” for support. They wanted thousands of pounds plus expenses just to use their names!

NotSpaghetti Tue 01-Sep-20 09:38:01

Well, SueDomin I'd definitely expect newspapers to at no cost to the NHS feel they would want to raise the issue!

Esspee Tue 01-Sep-20 08:55:53

I wouldn’t have a clue who they are but I dare say the generation which is causing the biggest problems at the moment might be influenced by them.

janipat Tue 01-Sep-20 08:48:58

I suppose it's too much to expect these people to have enough social conscience to do it for free. Let's hope the whole of the voluntary sector doesn't decide they too should be paid, after all others aren't expected to do things for free. And yes SueDonim, in the case of something as serious as a pandemic, I would expect TV channels and newspapers to advertise for free. Does everything have to be about profit?

SueDonim Mon 31-Aug-20 18:28:50

Would you expect newspapers and TV channels to advertise for free as well?

Kamiso Mon 31-Aug-20 16:47:41

The majority of celebrities expect to be paid for whatever they do. There was a huge fuss when people realised Terry Wogan was paid quite a large sum for the children’s charity tv night.

The younger people will probably take more notice of the influencers as long as they aren’t caught in a crowded night club days later.

NotSpaghetti Mon 31-Aug-20 16:41:34

I would like to think they would just do it without payment if they believed in it.

I think it's pretty sad.

NotTooOld Mon 31-Aug-20 16:31:22

It's a good idea. Well done government for using creative thinking.

Smileless2012 Mon 31-Aug-20 14:37:29

I agree SueDonim if it makes the targeted audience behave responsibly it's money well spent IMO.

SueDonim Mon 31-Aug-20 14:34:58

The virus is more prevalent in younger people right now so using the means of communication that young people use seems sensible, to me. And why not pay them? It’s no different to advertising in newspapers or on tv.

westendgirl Mon 31-Aug-20 12:15:25

From the Times today:-
Not Spaghetti,
"Social media influencers and reality TV stars are being paid to promote the NHS test and trace system after it missed its 80% target for a ninth successive week.
The government has admitted to making the payments and said it had a responsibility to use every means possible to keep the public informes in the pandemic. ". The article continues.(page 2 )

NotSpaghetti Mon 31-Aug-20 11:53:31

Paid???
Surely not! ?

Oopsminty Mon 31-Aug-20 11:52:10

They were discussing this on Jeremy Vine

Many people believe it's great to ask them but they shouldn't be paid

GrannyGravy13 Mon 31-Aug-20 11:48:12

They are using folk who the younger generation will watch/follow, hopefully it will bring home to those in this age group who are questioning/ignoring Covid-19 regulations all the implications of the virus.

maddyone Mon 31-Aug-20 10:59:14

If it helps to get younger people to take the virus seriously, then it must be a good thing.
I never watch Love Island myself.

westendgirl Mon 31-Aug-20 10:53:21

I saw this on the BBC site and there was also a piece in my newspaper.
What do you think ?