Gransnet forums

News & politics

Another stone in our democracy is being removed

(38 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Tue 01-Sep-20 07:28:01

In 2001 the government of the day set up an independent body charged with overseeing the way political parties conduct themselves and their funding.

It is known as the Electorial Commission.

It ensures that elections are fair and not in any way fraudulent.

It has taken action a number of times to protect the voter and our democracy.

After the referendum, it found the Vote Leave had broken various rules serious enough for a parliamentary committee to call Cummings to parliament to answer their question.

Cummings refused and was therefore in contempt of parliament.

He is in contempt to this day.

He is going to abolish the Electorial Commission.

Whatever your party politics this must surely alarm you. .

Lucca Wed 02-Sep-20 22:34:20

Quizqueen is entitled to her political views obviously I just wish she would sometimes explain her statements a bit more and respond to questions instead of lobbing in a remark and disappearing

grannyrebel7 Wed 02-Sep-20 18:43:40

I don't think quizqueen could possibly understand the implications of a government that was more right wing than the one we've already got Don't think she would have made that comment if she did.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 02-Sep-20 18:20:32

GagaJo

quizqueen is a Tommy Robinson supporter. Neo Nazi.

Oh!, well clearly Johnson won’t be right wing enough???.

I suppose I have to think of the Third Reich to get some idea?

GagaJo Wed 02-Sep-20 18:14:21

quizqueen is a Tommy Robinson supporter. Neo Nazi.

GagaJo Wed 02-Sep-20 18:12:43

biba70

Just unbelievable. When some of us talked about 'dictatorship' in last couple of years, we wre laughed at- we are getting closer by the day sad

Exactly. When I called Cumm8ngs a modern day Rasputin, they ridiculed it.

Not laughing now.

MayBee70 Wed 02-Sep-20 15:53:37

Every time I think Johnson, Cummings et al can’t possibly get away with what they’ve just done they just walk away from it. I don’t really know what I can do: they just seem to be beyond the law. And it can only get worse. Absolute waste of. time writing. to my MP. I only hope that Trump is defeated and that will cause a kind of domino effect with this country.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 02-Sep-20 12:05:45

Executive decisions should be non judicable”

So, the executive above the Judiciary AND Parliament?

Whitewavemark2 Wed 02-Sep-20 12:04:06

The first attack on the judiciary.

Alexa Wed 02-Sep-20 11:58:09

Boat, I look at Facebook everyday. My circle of friends are all the same political stance as my own, and are similar in what interest them. Facebook is cliqueish . How might I infiltrate a right wing clique?

Lucca Wed 02-Sep-20 10:46:42

Ah well. Plus ça change

Lucca Wed 02-Sep-20 08:15:16

Quizqueen for example what is your view on what OP is talking about ?

Lucca Wed 02-Sep-20 08:14:22

I’ll once again ask if Quizqueen could elaborate ?

Dinahmo Wed 02-Sep-20 08:11:20

People whose views are entrenched rarely wish to change their minds. One only had to listen to James O'Brien over the last couple of years to realise that. People coming on his programme would invariably say "I believe..........." and he would ask why? what reason do you have for saying that? etc etc and they hardly ever gave a reason. If they did, such as sovereignty, he would politely explain that we were already a sovereign nation. Occasionally a person would call in to say that they had changed their minds but that was rare.

Admitting that you are wrong is one of the hardest things to do.

Wwm2 Bring back hanging and flogging? grin wink

Whitewavemark2 Wed 02-Sep-20 07:21:37

quizqueen

The Conservatives aren't right wing enough, in my opinion. I hope we never have a left wing government again.

That is an interesting comment, but I don’t understand what you mean by “not right wing enough”

What isn’t Johnson’s government doing that you want them to do?

quizqueen Wed 02-Sep-20 00:13:40

The Conservatives aren't right wing enough, in my opinion. I hope we never have a left wing government again.

boat Wed 02-Sep-20 00:02:59

varian I am as angry as you but my point is that we have have to stop shouting at them. We have to look reasoned, which mainly we are.

Shouting they can ignore as a response of the ignorant.

Hetty58 Tue 01-Sep-20 22:29:30

Yes, alarmed - but not in the least surprised!

boat Tue 01-Sep-20 22:25:33

We have to start somewhere.

I was born in 1944 towards the end of the Second World War caused by a megalomaniac who wanted to rule the world. Europe was only saved by the intervention of the USA. It's not going to happen this time.

Al (Boris) Johnson wanted to be king of the world as a child but he is not driving this forwards, whatever he thinks, it is Dominic Cummings and his backers.

I'm not on social media (not tech savvy enough) but I know that lots of you are, so get out there and as I said avoid the ranting. Just come over as logical and the wise people you are at our age.

MaizieD Tue 01-Sep-20 21:57:52

I am concerned that over the last couple of years people in this forum have highlighted what is going on but have not come forward with any suggestions as to how to tackle the problem.

I think people are at a loss as to what to do, boat. I don't mean just posters on here, but people in the world outside. I follow lawyers, economists, journalists, academics and various 'ordinary folk' on twitter and no-one seems to have any idea.

I think the biggest problem is the complete disregard of the law and of parliament. How can any government be brought to account if they have no regard at all for two main components of our constitution?

Apparently Jeremy Paxman has an article in Saga magazine in which he characterises the government as 'twerps'. Well, as they have managed to be well on the way to dismantling our democratic institutions without anyone being able to stop them I think that 'twerps' is something of a misnomer...

varian Tue 01-Sep-20 21:41:17

To be opposed to the appalling right wing governmsnt we have does not equate to being far left or anti monarchist.

To be opposed to this appalling right wing government equates to being intelligent, well informed, compassionte and patriotic.

boat Tue 01-Sep-20 20:24:37

I am concerned that over the last couple of years people in this forum have highlighted what is going on but have not come forward with any suggestions as to how to tackle the problem.

I'm not any better because the main thing I can suggest is writing to your MP, especially if they are conservative, and then not sending it until you have slept on it, read it several times and edited out any turn of phrase that might identify you as non-Tory.

Remember many Conservatives equate not voting for their party as being, "Far Left", and would automatically bin a communication from such a source.

Little do they know. The Far Left would like the Royal Family lined up against a wall and shot.

I find the RF a bit boring and in one or two cases a bit worrying but I wouldn't go that far'

My only other suggestion is ..talk to people. Not just those you know are on the same wave length as you. Point out the problems but no ranting, just express genuine concern.

Any other suggestions?

MayBee70 Tue 01-Sep-20 17:45:30

And the man who’s director general of the BBC now doesn’t want left wing comedy on the airwaves. Goodby HIGNFY then. Is Spitting Image on the BBC? That’ll be interesting if it is.

varian Tue 01-Sep-20 17:34:11

In the USA and the UK incompetent right-wing governments were voted in by a minority of voters. We have seen the result.

If it is true that we tend to follow America I really hope that Biden is elected. We all would have far too much to lose if the Americans re-elect Trump.

Furret Tue 01-Sep-20 16:06:20

Yes, there’s more of this going on than we realise.

flump Tue 01-Sep-20 15:33:13

Many years ago, there used to be a phrase that said "What happens in America, happens here 10 years later" That time frame has been considerably shortened. Look at the way things have gone there. The same is happening here. Both countries have been down graded in their standing in the world. Granted both right wing parties were voted in, but this was because of the way the voting systems operate. I wouldn't mind if they really cared about their countries and the people but, apart from one or two ministers, they certainly don't seem to and are abysmal minority governments.