Gransnet forums

News & politics

Do you watch the news?

(41 Posts)
kircubbin2000 Wed 02-Sep-20 08:09:47

Following on from the Mark Francois thread where several of you didn't know who he was,do some of us avoid papers and news?
I know I try to avoid a lot of N.Ireland news but I was surprised to find friends who hadn't heard of Gavin Williamson or Chris Whitty.

henetha Wed 02-Sep-20 10:47:20

I have to have my news fix every day, at least two or three times on tv and on my phone.

biba70 Wed 02-Sep-20 10:53:28

Interesting Susie, thanks.

ginny Wed 02-Sep-20 11:15:34

I read the news on line rather than listen. A couple of different news papers.
I only read once a day to keep up to date with the basics of what is going on.

Tangerine Wed 02-Sep-20 11:20:03

I like to watch the News once a day if possible. It's sufficient to keep up with things but no so much that you feel depressed all day.

At the beginning of lockdown, I watched the News obsessively but I found it ceased to be helpful to me and was very repetitive anyway.

beverly10 Wed 02-Sep-20 11:32:13

I watch bbc1 breakfast when Naga is in the chair, love that lady, her choice of fashion however? 'say no more'.

paddyanne Wed 02-Sep-20 11:47:18

I watch the first few minutes of the FM 's briefing everyday ,then switch off.I cant be doing with the pressitutes asking absurd questions and then the next one asking the same again and again.I dont watch BBC ...theres enough rubbishing of Scotland on there to incite civil war .thankfully my OH agrees and we stay away from the bias and negativity

Namsnanny Wed 02-Sep-20 12:11:44

I agree with Wwmk2 smile

Except when I feel 'up' to it once in a while and tune to Algazeera or RT.
They give other perspectives.

Aspen Wed 02-Sep-20 12:21:50

Given up on BBC watch ITV 6-7pm then RT. They have this wonderful way on interviewing people, asking a question then giving them the chance to answer!

Callistemon Wed 02-Sep-20 13:02:11

This is Mark Francois threatening the Chief of Defence Staff that Dominic Cummings will sort him out:

[sigh]
Whilst I don't know much about Francois apart from the fact that he's an MP for somewhere in Essex (is that right?), I think that the Chief of the Defence Staff knew exactly what Francois meant and the way in which it was said.

Why take offence on behalf of a top Staff Officer? They are far more robust than Gransnetters!

biba70 Wed 02-Sep-20 13:09:31

Don't think it was about 'defendin'- but about illustrating what kind of pompous, not very bright, horrible little man he is.

suttonJ Wed 02-Sep-20 13:13:10

Politics is life...it affects every single one of us. I need to know what is going on.
And having watched dreadful, ultra biased news programmes all over the world, I assure you that our BBC remains a National Treasure, in terms of giving it to us straight. We tinker with it at our peril.

Ramblingrose22 Wed 02-Sep-20 13:13:39

I do watch the BBC news in the evening but am getting more and more fed up with it.

A lot of people are saying that the BBC news is "biassed", by which they mean too left-wing. Can't say I've noticed it myself.

My beef with news reporting is that the journalists are too supine with politicians. That's not to say they never challenge them but when they do, they often allow politicians to waffle on about what they want to tell everyone.

Andrew Neil is the only one I can think of who really badgers people to answer the question. That's probably why Johnson declined to be interviewed by him during the election campaign.

MayBee70 Wed 02-Sep-20 13:20:12

And the BBC have now got rid of Neil. We only watch Ch4 News at night but have Sky News on during the day. If the BBC has a left wing bias news wise I’ve yet to see it, although their comedies and dramas often do. Which is why the new DG is going to put a stop to all that. Sadly.

NannyC2 Wed 02-Sep-20 15:41:36

I do know who they are but would definitely not listen to them any more.
No more trust in BBC - thank goodness they are looking at introducing a new, more independent news source soon who sound as though they will be more trustworthy.
UK Column are more appealing to me - Mon/Wed & fRI

Like Namsnanny, Algazeera and RT are good.

Jaxjacky Wed 02-Sep-20 16:25:07

It’s on in the morning as background, I perk up for the weather, local news at 6:30, online around the UK mid afternoon. It is very repetitive.