Gransnet forums

News & politics

Do you watch the news?

(40 Posts)
kircubbin2000 Wed 02-Sep-20 08:09:47

Following on from the Mark Francois thread where several of you didn't know who he was,do some of us avoid papers and news?
I know I try to avoid a lot of N.Ireland news but I was surprised to find friends who hadn't heard of Gavin Williamson or Chris Whitty.

Urmstongran Wed 02-Sep-20 08:23:46

Too much. Sky News, Channel 4 news. It’s pretty much all I tune into as I’d rather read than watch tv.
?

travelsafar Wed 02-Sep-20 08:28:23

Not if i can help it. We have taken to listening to Radio 4extra
( currently running an old 1965 series of Journey into Spacesmile) at 6pm instead of the news on Radio 4 while having dinner. The news is far too depressing and repetative and drives us up the wall!!!!

Oldwoman70 Wed 02-Sep-20 08:34:45

I watch the early evening BBC news and local BBC radio news through the day. I agree most of it is repetitive, the news you hear at 5.00 pm is the same news you heard at 7.30 am, unless there has been some tragedy they don't update the news bulletins.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 02-Sep-20 08:37:31

It isn’t good for either my blood pressure or emotion.

eazybee Wed 02-Sep-20 08:44:22

Far, far less than I used to, mainly because the twenty-four hour coverage means it is extremely repetitive.

Luckygirl Wed 02-Sep-20 08:49:46

I watch, read and listen to the news - I still have no idea whatever who Mark Francois is.

Liz46 Wed 02-Sep-20 08:52:44

We watch BBC news while we have our breakfast. It is awful. Nagga Munchetty and Charlie are so aggressive when they interview people.

Esspee Wed 02-Sep-20 08:52:55

When Boris became Prime Minister I had a quick look at other programmes on offer and found an old favourite of my OH, “allo allo”, on at 6pm so we (he) started watching that instead.
I reckon that switch prevented him having a heart attack. He was prone to shouting at the TV but reading the news online is much kinder on his blood pressure.
Since coronavirus we do watch the Scottish news but I can’t say I know who Williamson is but do know Whitty. Nicola has been magnificent as First minister during this crisis.

Gwyneth Wed 02-Sep-20 08:54:52

Neither do I Luckygirl! Looked him up on google so know that he is an MP and something to do with ERG group but that’s it.

Hetty58 Wed 02-Sep-20 08:58:13

I limit my news watching as I find it all a bit tiresome. It makes little difference to others if I'm not up to date and well informed about everything.

I'm happy here in my own little world!

ayse Wed 02-Sep-20 09:00:32

I rarely watch BBC News anymore although I listen to Radio 4 occasionally. I generally check the headlines online on BBC and AlJazeera. I like to see a different take and AlJazeera has news stories that don’t seem to be around elsewhere. A case in point- The mayor of Portland berating Trump for causing the problems in his town. IMO it’s a better site for world news.

growstuff Wed 02-Sep-20 09:00:49

Luckygirl

I watch, read and listen to the news - I still have no idea whatever who Mark Francois is.

This is Mark Francois threatening the Chief of Defence Staff that Dominic Cummings will sort him out:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tMdGIinGE0

He's the current MP for Rayleigh and Wickford in Essex and is the current Chair of the right-wing pro-Brexit European Research Group (ERG). He likes to boast about his forces background, but he was actually in the catering corps in the TA. He's in his fifties and a former minister and has a high opinion of himself. hmm

Can't say any more than that.

growstuff Wed 02-Sep-20 09:01:27

I don't watch live TV.

Dinahmo Wed 02-Sep-20 09:04:57

Channel 4 News at 7.00pm is good. They seem to cover a wider range of subjects. France 24 (in English) is interesting too because they cover a wider range of subjects than the BBC.

Blinko Wed 02-Sep-20 09:07:31

Friends have suggested that the beeb 'has an agenda'. I must admit I haven't figured out what the agenda might be, but we've begun to watch other channels to get a more rounded view. So I keep an eye on ITV sometimes in the morning, Ch4 and Sky News for variety. I must give Al Jazeera a go too.

As for Mark Francois, I did read about this chump a while ago. The others of course I know and recognise. Who doesn't?

Dorsetcupcake61 Wed 02-Sep-20 09:22:55

For the past month or so I watch much less news and feel a lot better for it. At the moment the news whether it be online or on tv seems to be leaning towards sensationalism which is unhelpful. I too have found channel 4 news informative. I watch the local news once a day and read an online newspaper daily.

loopyloo Wed 02-Sep-20 09:31:39

Find the BBC news very tiresome. On and on about the children going back to school. The worst thing for the kids might be the reporters at the entrance!

MiniMoon Wed 02-Sep-20 09:46:55

Husband watches the BBC news at 1 pm. I see it if I'm in the room with him.
I prefer to read the news online, or listen to it on the radio.

kircubbin2000 Wed 02-Sep-20 09:52:44

I can't tell you anything about Mark as there is a court order keeping it secret. Twitter knows.

suziewoozie Wed 02-Sep-20 09:56:00

Twitter knows everything

25Avalon Wed 02-Sep-20 09:57:19

It all seems to be biased to me with no in depth studies and items presented in a certain way. I try to read several online papers to help me form my own opinions.

I see there is a proposed new news channel called GB News and the Murdoch corporation is setting up another. Talk of Andrew Neil being on GB News. Are we finally going to get independent news with a Rottweiler approach to all?

biba70 Wed 02-Sep-20 10:06:06

Just cannot believe that anyone can not know who Mark Francois is, unless living in a very remote area without Press, TV or Internet.

As for Twitter - is anyone signed up to Twitter? I am keeping well away, apart from seeing some quotes posted by others.

MerylStreep Wed 02-Sep-20 10:15:02

No I don't. I knew something was amiss when I went into my neighbours house and they were literally glued to the lunchtime news. These are people who would never never have daytime tv on.
From then on they were 2 terrified people. At one time, when several of us met up in the street she had a 6ft pole with her to make sure nobody came any closer!
It nearly broke our very close friendship. So, no, too much news is dangerous.

suziewoozie Wed 02-Sep-20 10:18:53

MF was regularly on TV and radio on anything Brexit related. That’s why his absence is noted. biba I love Twitter - what I like best is the choices you have of who to follow (who to block ?). This has been particularly useful during COVID. I’ve especially enjoyed the tweets of certain FT journalists and commentators. People who don’t use Twitter have a funny idea of what it’s about and how it work.