Gransnet forums

News & politics

What does a right wing government mean?

(104 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Wed 02-Sep-20 08:26:53

Someone posted that they don’t think that Johnson’s government is right wing enough, and I find that interesting.

I wonder what others consider a right wing government is, and what sort of policies it would/should follow.

I’ll kick off the debate with the following.

A right wing government is more authoritarian than a centrist or left wing government.

It is intolerant of other sources of power like the judiciary or civil service, media, academia, etc.

It tends to centralise power.

It may or may not be populist.

It believes in the “natural order” of things, and that the individual is paramount.

It does not believe in “society”

That’s a start

growstuff Wed 02-Sep-20 12:59:37

ExD

Where did the expressions come from in the first place?
I mean Right/Left - it doesn't mean a thing really does it? Right of where, Left of what?

I imagine originally when we had a 2 party system - there was Liberalism and Conservatism which seemed to sum it up quite neatly. Then we got the rest .......

I think the terms left and right wing originated in the French Revolution. The nobility sat to the right of the President and the plebs sat on the left.

Ilovecheese Wed 02-Sep-20 13:05:21

My understanding of a right wing Government is one that will let market forces decide what industries survive and which can be left to fail.
This present Government has not done that, but has used state subsidies to support employment, via the furlough scheme.

Perhaps someone with more right wing views does not agree with that sort of state support.

A right wing Government, as I see it, does not like State "nannying" so this Governments advertisements advising us to lose weight and eat more healthy foods, would not be approved of by someone who wishes the Government were more right wing

growstuff Wed 02-Sep-20 13:14:56

I think these days "wingism" is more to do with social attitudes, which is why we keep seeing attempts at stirring up a culture war. I associate racism, jingoism and a belief in meritocracy as a holy grail as right wing. Right-wingers tend to believe in law and order - until it applies to them. They resent having to share their wealth and dislike anybody telling them what to do, which us why they dislike the power of the state.

It hasn't always been the case, when there was a much clearer dividing line between the "traditional" blue collar working class and property owning farmers and those with inherited wealth. The Industrial Revolution created dividing lines between factory/business owners and landowners - of course, most people didn't have a vote until the early twentieth century. There were various pro-worker groups and those with liberal views, but they didn't have any political power until the twentieth century.

It's not surprising that workers supported the new parties, but these days many of the old dividing lines have become blurred.

Starblaze Wed 02-Sep-20 13:15:15

I've always regarded the extreme right wing as being a bit selfish and wanting the right to say and do whatever they want...

They seem to think others should have to listen, be forced to agree, give them platforms to speak from and generally allow it all without complaint...

Which negates the rights of everyone else.

So I tend to view the extreme right wing as a big crowd of mini dictators who would make a mess of everything because they don't actually agree with each other all the time and the arguing about it would prevent actual important things being dealt with.

growstuff Wed 02-Sep-20 13:16:14

*us = is

EllanVannin Wed 02-Sep-20 13:25:38

Growstuff, people are struggling, or weren't you aware ? The young man in question was married with a family so how on earth could he have paid a uni loan when paying rent/council tax and other bills ?

Anyone who is clever in a subject like this young man was should be automatically entered into a uni, when finances are the only thing stopping them. This is what I mean by the impoverished not given a chance. It's not right !

EllanVannin Wed 02-Sep-20 13:29:00

Those who can afford uni., let them get on with it but don't forget to give others a chance if/when they can't afford loans etc. Blatant discrimination !

GrannyGravy13 Wed 02-Sep-20 13:36:17

I am getting sick and tired of all the labelswhich are banded about nowadays.

I should think that the aim of any government should be to encourage free enterprise and entrepreneurs, which should bring about employment opportunities.

They should also provide a safety net for those who find themselves in difficulties.

MaizieD Wed 02-Sep-20 13:45:14

I should think that the aim of any government should be to encourage free enterprise and entrepreneurs, which should bring about employment opportunities.

Why? Is that what life is all about? Employment opportunities?

What is your concept of 'the State', GG143 Who do you think it is 'for'?

growstuff Wed 02-Sep-20 13:53:57

EllanVannin

Growstuff, people are struggling, or weren't you aware ? The young man in question was married with a family so how on earth could he have paid a uni loan when paying rent/council tax and other bills ?

Anyone who is clever in a subject like this young man was should be automatically entered into a uni, when finances are the only thing stopping them. This is what I mean by the impoverished not given a chance. It's not right !

Of course I'm aware people are struggling, but I'm wondering if you are actually aware how much support is available for people like this young man and how the student loan system works. To be honest, I'm not even sure how this relates to the OP.

growstuff Wed 02-Sep-20 13:58:43

EllanVannin

Those who can afford uni., let them get on with it but don't forget to give others a chance if/when they can't afford loans etc. Blatant discrimination !

I really don't understand this. How does the student loan system discriminate and stop people from taking out a loan and going to university?

My son is currently at university and has the maximum loan with no bursaries. He has no private income and I most certainly can't afford to support him in any way. Yes, he's going to have to pay it back in the future, but finances are no bar to going to university in the first place.

What does thus have to do with being left or right-wing anyway?

GrannyGravy13 Wed 02-Sep-20 14:00:36

MaizieD

^I should think that the aim of any government should be to encourage free enterprise and entrepreneurs, which should bring about employment opportunities.^

Why? Is that what life is all about? Employment opportunities?

What is your concept of 'the State', GG143 Who do you think it is 'for'?

If not from employment, starting your own business or making a product and selling it on where do you think people’s income should come from?

Employment opportunities are not dirty words MaizieD

I am all for a small state , rules and regulations are necessary for health and safety and for enforcement of the law. I am not enamoured with layers of bureaucracy duplicating itself, too many chiefs scenarios.

M0nica Wed 02-Sep-20 14:13:56

Whitewave Your list also reads like a good description of a left wing party. Just swap the directions around.

MaizieD Wed 02-Sep-20 14:31:59

If not from employment, starting your own business or making a product and selling it on where do you think people’s income should come from?

And if you are incapable of any of that?

Employment opportunities are not dirty words MaizieD

When have I ever said that they were?

I am all for a small state , rules and regulations are necessary for health and safety and for enforcement of the law.

Like EV you seem to want to return to a pre Welfare State model?

I am not enamoured with layers of bureaucracy duplicating itself, too many chiefs scenarios.

Oh, come, come, GG13. These are all employment opportunities...

MaizieD Wed 02-Sep-20 14:34:56

M0nica

Whitewave Your list also reads like a good description of a left wing party. Just swap the directions around.

I have lived under several 'left wing' governments, MOnica, as I'm sure that you must have done. In what way did they conform to Whitewave's list of characteristics?

Whitewavemark2 Wed 02-Sep-20 14:38:19

M0nica

Yes I understood that when I outlined the OP I’ve had that discussion with another poster. But the OP was in the context of a poster stating that she/he didn’t think that Johnson’s government was right enough.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 02-Sep-20 14:40:28

MaizieD

M0nica

I have lived under several 'left wing' governments, MOnica, as I'm sure that you must have done. In what way did they conform to Whitewave's list of characteristics?

I think that my description fits a relatively extreme right wing or left wing government.

I think the left wing governments we have lived under have been far more centrists than the op suggests.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 02-Sep-20 14:42:46

I’m still confused about what is right wing enough though.

Is there a point when anyone thinks that the government has gone too far to the right?

I for instance feel very uncomfortable at the governments authoritarian stance now beginning to show itself towards our judiciary.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 02-Sep-20 14:43:49

Perhaps some on here think that the judiciary and the way we have run this independent body needs politicising?

GrannyGravy13 Wed 02-Sep-20 14:44:54

MaizieD I have never posted that I want to return to a pre welfare state scenario. I have always believed that the state should provide a safety net for all who need it. (As per my post at 13.36)

GrannyGravy13 Wed 02-Sep-20 14:47:07

Whitewavemark2 the judiciary does not need politicising but it definitely needs looking at judging by some of the decisions and sentences handed out.

M0nica Wed 02-Sep-20 14:53:20

Maizie Any party that cannot see themselves as others see them has got problems.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 02-Sep-20 15:06:03

GrannyGravy13

Whitewavemark2 the judiciary does not need politicising but it definitely needs looking at judging by some of the decisions and sentences handed out.

Are you suggesting that they have been acting illegally. If not then we may not like a particular decision but they are independent from the government and if asked to make a decision like over whether the prorogation by Johnson was legal then we have to live with it.

I think our independent judiciary is one of our most envied institutions in the world, which has been copied throughout the world.

A pip squeak like Johnson should leave it alone.

Our executive has always had to make policy with one eye to the rule of law. That is what protects us from extremists. Johnson is intent on destroying that relationship.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 02-Sep-20 15:08:16

M0nica

Maizie Any party that cannot see themselves as others see them has got problems.

I think that is a generalisation tbh.

Parties employ people to do just that in order to try to win the next election.

LauraNorder Wed 02-Sep-20 15:22:13

Perhaps the answer is to ask the original poster, the one who stated that in their opinion this government is not right wing enough.
Their opinion may well be that the government should bring back the stocks or bring back hanging but this in no way reflects the thinking of others who consider themselves right of centre and could also be in line with the thinking of some on the left.