Gransnet forums

News & politics

Dogs to be trained to sniff out Covid 19!

(18 Posts)
bridie54 Thu 03-Sep-20 20:28:47

I read a book about a woman who started by training her own sheep dogs and went on to train medical detection dogs ( if that’s what they were called). Brilliant read and some of the stories were amazing. In one of the trials for training dogs using known cancer sufferers one particular dog kept selecting a man who was not a Cancer sufferer . The man was later discovered to have cancer also. Dogs noses truly amazing.

growstuff Thu 03-Sep-20 19:12:34

They can't diagnose or spot diabetes, but they can be trained to recognise the characteristic sweet smelling breath of a T1 diabetic having a hypo (low blood sugar).

Callistemon Thu 03-Sep-20 17:55:09

It sounds like a good idea. Dogs can detect different diseases by scent.

They have been used in this way for some time and are trained as assistance dogs for people who have Type 1 Diabetes.
can-do-canines.org/our-dogs/ourdogs/diabetes-assist-dogs

AGAA4 Thu 03-Sep-20 17:04:40

A big thank you to all the working dogs! What would we do without police dogs, dogs for the blind, dogs trained to sniff out drugs, and now dogs to sniff out diseases, and any others I have missed.

Fernhillnana Thu 03-Sep-20 16:35:39

You may be amused to hear that one of my dogs ( who is quite naughty and troublesome in every other regard) has taught himself to social distance himself on walkies. If he sees someone coming he goes to the side and sits nicely. The other one is way too scatty and nervous to do that but she avoids other people anyway. Dogs never cease to amaze.

dirgni Thu 03-Sep-20 15:01:00

When I take my dog for a walk she will growl at anyone who comes within 1.5m of me! Really embarrassing at times when I actually know the person and stop for a chat. I certainly feel well protected on all fronts!!

Juicylucy Thu 03-Sep-20 13:14:21

Yes I saw/ read this about 2 weeks ago they have already started with the testing to see if it can be done but it’s looking promising.

Phloembundle Thu 03-Sep-20 11:53:37

During a family discussion months ago I mooted the idea that a dog could sniff it out. I'm sure they can. One of the crucial aspects will be if they can detect it in people who are incubating it. Hopefully that would stop journalists harping on about the absence of testing at airports when they have been told ad nauseum by the government that it won't work with people who are incubating.

icanhandthemback Thu 03-Sep-20 11:51:52

polnan, we were just discussing this yesterday. Quite a lot of the information is just lost in the speculation, analysis and scaremongering which is the basis of news these days. Gone are the days when information was reported rather than trying to predict what is going to happen next!

I am so impressed with the amount of work dogs can help us with. I think cats have the same instincts as my daughter's cat always reacted when my daughter was pregnant but unfortunately they aren't quite so trainable.

Disgruntled Thu 03-Sep-20 10:18:28

Dogs are brilliant! A friend of mine rescued some from Korea and apparently it only takes a fortnight for them to be trained to sniff out diabetes or cancer.

Aepgirl Thu 03-Sep-20 10:07:03

Yes, dogs can be trained to ‘sniff out’ all sorts of things. Anything is worth a try.

jaylucy Thu 03-Sep-20 09:38:35

They started this several months ago and at least 6 dogs have been selected for the initial training.
If you go to Medical Detection dogs it gives more details.
Dogs are also being trained to do other medical things, such as sniff out cancer - one of my cousins , who is receiving treatment for prostate cancer is one of the volunteer patients that they practice on!

polnan Thu 03-Sep-20 09:38:17

yes, I heard of this some time back, imo that is so much a part of the problems in our country, lack of communication.. we are not told and kept informed.... grrr!

wonderful dogs.

BlueBelle Wed 02-Sep-20 22:32:08

This was on the books weeks and weeks ago .....then went quiet

Whitewavemark2 Wed 02-Sep-20 22:25:08

Yes I saw that a while ago.

Aren’t dogs just brilliant!!

Lucca Wed 02-Sep-20 22:24:02

Brilliant !

Ellianne Wed 02-Sep-20 22:22:17

Great, so I'll train my dog to sniff out all the Covid spreaders who don't social distance 2 metres from me. A deep growl should do the trick. Sorted!

Witzend Wed 02-Sep-20 21:33:19

Heard this earlier, on the BBC World Service news while in the car. People who’ve tested positive will be asked to wear and subsequently donate certain items of clothing for training purposes.

Apparently doctors who’ve worked on Covid wards have said they can smell it, so should be a doddle for dogs. The idea is for the dogs to be used at airport arrivals, much like drug sniffer dogs.
In the event of testing positive (though I hope not!) I’d certainly be up for it.
Don’t know whether it was on national news, but I expect so.