Gransnet forums

News & politics

Powers of The Speaker in HoC

(28 Posts)
biba70 Thu 03-Sep-20 11:28:10

A serious question, which requires a serious answer, please.

Our Parliamentary Democracy requires the PM to be answerable to the HoC, openly via PMQT. If a PM refuses to answer the questions tabled, and the Speaker has to intervene twice to insist that he does, should the Speaker then ignore if he does NOT? Surely he should ask a third time, with an ultimatum- that if he refuses to answer and just goes on wasting time- the PM will be requested to leave the House?

Callistemon Mon 14-Jun-21 21:46:24

As you were!

Kali2 Mon 14-Jun-21 22:36:27

MaizieD ''I've watched many PMQs with Starmer and Johnson. I have never known Hoyle to tell Johnson to answer the question and I have never seen Johnson answer one.''

I have seen Hoyle twice asking Johnson to answer the question- but twice Johnson ignored him- and Hoyle did not come back to stick to what he had requested, and let Johnson continue to go on the attack instead of answering.

I certainly hope he will now become much stricter and request again, and again- and tell Johnson to sit and be quiet if he does not. Or send him out for disrespecting the person asking the question, and the whole House.