Gransnet forums

News & politics

Powers of The Speaker in HoC

(13 Posts)
biba70 Thu 03-Sep-20 11:28:10

A serious question, which requires a serious answer, please.

Our Parliamentary Democracy requires the PM to be answerable to the HoC, openly via PMQT. If a PM refuses to answer the questions tabled, and the Speaker has to intervene twice to insist that he does, should the Speaker then ignore if he does NOT? Surely he should ask a third time, with an ultimatum- that if he refuses to answer and just goes on wasting time- the PM will be requested to leave the House?

Dinahmo Thu 03-Sep-20 11:50:23

I 'm afraid I don't know whether the Speaker should tell the PM to leave but I wish that he would, in those circumstances.

biba70 Thu 03-Sep-20 15:13:56

Yes thanks Dinahmo - I was wondering if anyone here had information about the extent of his Powers in the House. It seems to be that he is in charge, and could do as mentionned above. Same for retracting comments and attacks like the one re IRA yesterday.

Fennel Thu 03-Sep-20 16:32:36

I was watching PMQ yesterday about 12.45 when Ian Blackford asked a question about the media involvement in Johnson's holiday in Appledore (which is in Blackford's constitiuency.) He had rceived hatemail about it.
As far as I remember the Speaker had allowed the question even though he hadn't been notified.
PM gave a brief evasive reply then the Speaker called a short break in proceedings, Maybe to consult on the correct procedure.
So these rules seem to be complicated.
I didn't see the next part.

oldgoat Thu 03-Sep-20 16:33:15

I wonder how Bercow would have dealt with Johnson, yesterday?

biba70 Thu 03-Sep-20 16:36:52

Fennel, questions do not have to be tabled in advance- any MP can stand and 'catch the eye of the Speaker'. However, those tabled in advance have priority.

Fennel Thu 03-Sep-20 16:40:55

ps just realised I missed the point of the OP - it developed further later blush.

biba70 Thu 03-Sep-20 18:01:35

ah no worries, threads do wander, that is OK

Callistemon Thu 03-Sep-20 18:56:20

Ian Blackford asked a question about the media involvement in Johnson's holiday in Appledore (which is in Blackford's constitiuency.

Ian Blackford is a Scottish SNP MP, Fennel.

Appledore is in Devon. I to believe Boris Johnson had to cut short his holiday in Scotland (why would he choose there anyway?) and then visited the Appledore Shipyard in Devon.

varian Thu 03-Sep-20 18:58:33

I think he was in Applecross, not Appledore.

Fennel Thu 03-Sep-20 19:16:12

Yes it was Applecross!

janipat Thu 03-Sep-20 19:21:02

Bercow would have had the guts to challenge and discipline Johnson. Love him or loathe him Bercow was very well versed in parliamentary rules and procedures.

MaizieD Thu 03-Sep-20 20:00:02

Hoyle was a deputy speaker, wasn't he? So he ought to know the rules and procedures.