Gransnet forums

News & politics

The new rules for coronavirus - how will it affect your family?

(245 Posts)
LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 09-Sep-20 15:45:39

We've been asked to comment on this for the media and would love to know how you are personally affected? Do they new rules mean you will be seeing less of your family and grandchildren? Are you worried the restrictions will get tighter?
Thank you smile

merlotgran Wed 09-Sep-20 18:12:39

suziewoozie

merlot would it be possible to have more than one mini celebration?

Yes it would but then we won't see everyone together and two sixes doesn't really work family wise.

suziewoozie Wed 09-Sep-20 18:18:29

That’s a shame.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 09-Sep-20 18:23:13

merlotgran would it be possible to go to a quiet restaurant and book two tables for six people and ask for them to be adjacent?

suziewoozie Wed 09-Sep-20 18:39:51

GG oh come on - really ?

GrannyGravy13 Wed 09-Sep-20 18:44:51

suziewoozie

GG oh come on - really ?

If its a reputable restaurant the tables will be Covid compliant socially distanced, not illegal under current Covid-19 rules.

Chewbacca Wed 09-Sep-20 18:49:34

No impact here because we're a bubble of 6 anyway. But I'm due to go away for a few days to Wales next week and I'm a bit hmm about it now.

suziewoozie Wed 09-Sep-20 19:04:47

Going in a group of 12 is against the spirit and letter of the law. We all need to act like grown ups not try and find ways round the law - I leave that up to Cummins and Johnson. You do understand what the new laws are trying to achieve don’t you GG?

GrannyGravy13 Wed 09-Sep-20 19:18:11

suziewoozie

Going in a group of 12 is against the spirit and letter of the law. We all need to act like grown ups not try and find ways round the law - I leave that up to Cummins and Johnson. You do understand what the new laws are trying to achieve don’t you GG?

Less chance of virus transmission than all the various protests over the last five months.

FarNorth Wed 09-Sep-20 19:27:59

I think that if you break the rules in a specific and limited way you'll be fine.

You've got it there MaizieD.
There's a precedent for it, after all. smile

merlotgran Wed 09-Sep-20 19:29:32

GrannyGravy13

merlotgran would it be possible to go to a quiet restaurant and book two tables for six people and ask for them to be adjacent?

I think they might have considered that because their local pub/restaurant is owned by friends who would be happy to accommodate them but there would be family members from four different counties. Some are back at work and there would be one school child.

Definitely breaking the rules.

GillT57 Wed 09-Sep-20 19:31:50

I am with you on this GG13, I fail to see why 2 tables of 6, suitably distanced, can't be arranged. If we can speak to the family on the table 2 metres away from us, as we did today at lunch, what difference does it make if we know them already? What happens if you unwittingly book a table at the same local restaurant a someone you know? Don't get me wrong, I have been following the rules, but I think this latest edict is stupid and ill thought out. If we are all at such grave risk of catching covid19 from person no 7 upwards in our party, then shut the bloody restaurants again.

Callistemon Wed 09-Sep-20 19:53:34

Of course, you could find yourself sitting next to 6 complete strangers in the restaurant, Grannygravy.
At a safe distance, of course.

I have been following the rules, but I think this latest edict is stupid and ill thought out.
Some of it is a complete nonsense.

Iam64 Wed 09-Sep-20 20:00:11

I accept mistakes and re-thinks are inevitable but feel our government has mismanaged so much during this pandemic. Having got that out of the way, I'm not unhappy about the announcement today, hands, face, space and meet with a maximum of six people is clear enough for anyone to understand.
It means I can see my family members in small groups. We have cancelled five holidays so far this year. We cancelled my husband's big birthday celebrations. It's a pity but we all want to come out the other side of this healthy.
I wouldn't want to breach the rules by, for example, meeting with two groups of six in a restaurant. Once we start pushing the limits, 7 people rather than six we're doing a Cummings. We're saying the rules are stupid and we should be able to ignore them.
I don't want to contribute to wrecking the economy. We need restaurants to be open, planes to be flying, town centres functioning. We need to do our bit. We aren't only responsible for ourselves, there is such a thing as collective responsibility.
Sorry if I sound humourless. We have several towns in serious lock down, because people didn't comply with quarantine in one case.

Callistemon Wed 09-Sep-20 20:02:19

BBbevan

Callistemon my aunty lives in Caerphilly. I am a tad concerned for her

Oh dear BBbevan
However, if she is isolating at home and being careful she should be fine.
To put it in perspective, 55.4 people out of 100,000 have tested positive in the last 7 days in Caerphilly.

I shan't be going for my hospital appointment this week - having a phone consultation .

Nonnapg Wed 09-Sep-20 20:20:21

This means my husband and I (!) can see our younger daughter, her husband and two children (with social distancing, no hugs). However, we can’t both go and see our elder daughter, husband and three children anymore as that would be one person too many. I believe we need to take this sort of action, but eight or ten would be a better limit, making these difficult times a little easier to cope with.

Jaxjacky Wed 09-Sep-20 20:31:18

Iam64 I agree with you, will we invoke the Cummings incident to excuse our behaviour for ever? What people should bear in mind is the establishments people are using may be shutdown if their customers are caught trying to wriggle round the rules. Everyone moaned about vague guidance, this is clear and law, 6 people...people: grannies, babies, in laws, whatever, not that tricky. I’m really fed up we haven’t hugged or been within 1m of our children, grandchildren since early March, but, we’re trying to do the right thing for everyone.

Grannynannywanny Wed 09-Sep-20 20:34:02

How does this work for a couple with 5 children? Will they have to draw lots to see which one will have to move out?? ?

Chewbacca Wed 09-Sep-20 21:02:38

It will be interesting to see which member of parliament, government advisor or minor celebrity gets caught flouting "the rules" this time around. I'm sure one of them will do a Cummings.

Iam64 Wed 09-Sep-20 21:14:42

Granny wanny, I think Mr J addresses this, the issue of large families. I think it means they can be together but only meet in groups of six otherwise

Iam64 Wed 09-Sep-20 21:15:46

There’s a bit of me that hopes it’s Cummings (Again)

Mamardoit Wed 09-Sep-20 21:54:59

It does seem unfair to those of us with larger families. We rarely all get together but covid 1 means it's impossible.

We can meet up with one adult DC and his wife and two DC.

The other Adult DC have larger families so we can no longer visit even in gardens or out for a walk in the park. It also means that the cousins our DGC can't see each other even though some of them attend the same school.

We have all been very careful. We all shop on line, haven't had holidays or been anywhere with crowds of people.

I doubt if we will be able to get together this Christmas. I wonder if the famous family gathering at Sandringham will be limited to six people.

FarNorth Wed 09-Sep-20 22:10:09

How does this work for a couple with 5 children? Will they have to draw lots to see which one will have to move out??

Yes.

tanith Wed 09-Sep-20 22:14:27

Grannynannywanny

How does this work for a couple with 5 children? Will they have to draw lots to see which one will have to move out?? ?

The rules actually say, if your household or support bubble is more than 6 then this is allowed.

So NO one person won’t be expected to move out

Furret Wed 09-Sep-20 22:18:55

How will it affect us? It means we can only see one side of our family at a time, so those small family gatherings of 10 which I hosted every year eg, birthdays, Christmas are either out of the question or illegal.

It is all so unnecessary, because had this bunch of blithering idiots got their act together this could have and should have been contained.

ginny Wed 09-Sep-20 22:20:52

DGS will be 18 next week and DD will be 40 soon. We were hoping for a small gatherings of 10 and planned to be outside unless it poured with rain.
Not going to happen now. ☹️