Gransnet forums

News & politics

The new rules for coronavirus - how will it affect your family?

(244 Posts)
LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 09-Sep-20 15:45:39

We've been asked to comment on this for the media and would love to know how you are personally affected? Do they new rules mean you will be seeing less of your family and grandchildren? Are you worried the restrictions will get tighter?
Thank you smile

tanith Wed 09-Sep-20 16:00:05

Well we are going away in 10 days time to Dorset there will be 8 adults and 2 children not sure how we’re going to manage this yet. We will have to have long talk about this.

suziewoozie Wed 09-Sep-20 16:02:13

Will that be allowed now Tanith

tanith Wed 09-Sep-20 16:04:08

Well we are in two caravans but honestly till I speak to the family I’m not sure what we’ll do.

SusieB50 Wed 09-Sep-20 16:07:53

DGD’s family birthday will have to be rethought - was going to be 10 , maybe we can have two sittings ! Can we do that ? One group for lunch then they go home and another group for tea ? Seems a bit ridiculous....

quizqueen Wed 09-Sep-20 16:12:43

I don't believe these rules will affect me at all. I very rarely meet in groups of more than 6.

DiscoDancer1975 Wed 09-Sep-20 16:23:35

We’re going away on Friday, to a cottage in a small isolated village. We are 6, plus an 18 month old. These new restrictions come in on our daughter’s 30th birthday. Her fiancé is 30 on Tuesday. My other daughter and son in law are joining us. My daughter is pregnant, and really needs this break. She has ME, and struggled through the first lockdown, and I couldn’t help her. Her fiancé’s family live in the area, and that was our main reason for picking it, so he could see something of his family. They are planning to spend Saturday and Sunday seeing them, as safely as possible. All these people have had holidays abroad, and whinged about having to quarantine on their return. They’ve most likely caused this second problem, along with various other ‘ celebrations’. Now, we think it’s because it’s coinciding with Freshers week, as universities go back. It’s NOT going to stop us. We’ve been careful from the start. If my daughter doesn’t get some reprieve, she could crash to the point she won’t recover for the birth. We’re fed up of it all like everyone else, and we just pray to be kept safe.

TwiceAsNice Wed 09-Sep-20 16:24:57

We ate 6 so won’t affect us family wise but means we wont be able to include the friends we’d previously been meeting up with

TwiceAsNice Wed 09-Sep-20 16:25:16

Sorry are not ate

DiscoDancer1975 Wed 09-Sep-20 16:25:42

When I said, “ all these people have had holidays abroad “, I meant other people not my future son in law’s family.

Callistemon Wed 09-Sep-20 16:27:03

We are 6, plus an 18 month old.
I would say that 6 plus a baby would not be breaking the rules.

Callistemon Wed 09-Sep-20 16:28:17

Oops, I see this is a media request!
Obviously 7 adults would be breaking the rules.

suziewoozie Wed 09-Sep-20 16:28:24

Two caravans - well that’s a good start at least.

DiscoDancer1975 Wed 09-Sep-20 16:29:34

Technically it is Callistemon. Could I call on your services if needed, if I have to argue it out in court!!?. Thank you anyway?.

MaizieD Wed 09-Sep-20 16:50:50

DiscoDancer1975

Technically it is Callistemon. Could I call on your services if needed, if I have to argue it out in court!!?. Thank you anyway?.

I think that if you break the rules in a specific and limited way you'll be fine.

Or if you can invoke the Dom defence....

Moonlight113 Wed 09-Sep-20 17:00:39

Teacher daughter has suggested that the only way I will get a birthday celebration this month is if I go into her school classroom and have it there.

DiscoDancer1975 Wed 09-Sep-20 17:42:29

Oh my eyesight, yes, I forgot about that! Thanks for the reminder ?

tearose369 Wed 09-Sep-20 17:47:27

So I am expected to do the school run although I have an underlying condition - I take it grandparents can still see grandchildren? I missed part of the announcement this afternoon and there was quite a bit of talk about being unable to see grandchildren. I don't want to do it but their parents can't work if I don't so extremely difficult to refuse...

suziewoozie Wed 09-Sep-20 17:49:57

Of course gps can see gc- the rule is up to 6 people ( unless in a bubble when it can be more).

Callistemon Wed 09-Sep-20 17:56:00

DiscoDancer1975

Come to Wales
(But not Caerphilly)
Or Scotland.

BBbevan Wed 09-Sep-20 17:59:46

I am unsure of the rules in Wales at the moment. But think it is more than 6. I expect that may change any time soon though

merlotgran Wed 09-Sep-20 18:00:55

DSis-i-Law is cancelling my DB's 80th birthday lunch next month which is a shame as it was only going to be a small get-together but 12 is too many.

Christmas doesn't look hopeful either. sad

BBbevan Wed 09-Sep-20 18:01:09

Callistemon my aunty lives in Caerphilly. I am a tad concerned for her

suziewoozie Wed 09-Sep-20 18:02:24

merlot would it be possible to have more than one mini celebration?

EllanVannin Wed 09-Sep-20 18:09:02

Will buses limit passengers to 6 at a time ? Train carriages too ?