Gransnet forums

News & politics

Another Brexit "benefit"

(270 Posts)
Dinahmo Thu 17-Sep-20 12:26:30

Those of us living in the EU are about to be deprived of the use of our Barclaycards as a direct result of the UK leaving the EU. Like many others who have retired to France, Spain, Portugal, Italy and other EU countries my income derives from the UK and I use my card to purchase items from the UK and also when we visit.

So, a hearty thank you to all you Leavers for making our lives just that little bit more difficult.

Urmstongran Thu 17-Sep-20 15:50:37

A lot of people who live in the EU use a relative’s address for banking reasons. (Aka sofa surfing). A UK address is now needed & a utility bill by Barclays as proof of actual residence.

Hetty58 Thu 17-Sep-20 15:54:31

It's hardly a tragedy if you can't use a Barclaycard - is it? It seems a very petty gripe to me.

Urmstongran Thu 17-Sep-20 15:58:16

Michel Barnier would likely describe it as ‘cherrypicking’.

biba70 Thu 17-Sep-20 16:27:08

Hetty, the worry is that will later apply to all banking cards, Barclays just being the first. If you live abroad, on UK pension- it would make life VERY difficult indeed.

biba70 Thu 17-Sep-20 16:28:20

Currently, many banks will continue to allow EU residents to keep their UK bank account and card- as long as it was set up before the move abroad- and will not allow opening an account after the move.

biba70 Thu 17-Sep-20 16:51:06

Urmstongran- this is illegal.

sodapop Thu 17-Sep-20 17:34:07

I received the same letter Dinahmo and whilst its not a big issue although very inconvenient I do worry that its the tip of the iceberg. Like other people I have a British bank account for pensions etc and am concerned this will be closed as well.
I do understand that others are not sympathetic as I left the UK but 15 years ago things were very different. Added to that of course there are health care concerns. C'est la vie.

Urmstongran Thu 17-Sep-20 17:37:16

What is illegal biba70? Sorry I don’t follow you here.

Opal Thu 17-Sep-20 17:49:25

So you would expect me to forego my democratic right to vote in the way I choose, just to ensure that you are not inconvenienced? Hmm, I wonder if you would do the same for me? I very much doubt it.

Callistemon Thu 17-Sep-20 17:51:11

Hetty58

It's hardly a tragedy if you can't use a Barclaycard - is it? It seems a very petty gripe to me.

We gave up on Barclaycards about 20 years ago for another reason.
We gave up on M&S credit cards for a different reason.
There are umpteen choices for alternative cards.
I can't see what the problem is.

lemongrove Thu 17-Sep-20 17:55:02

Bodach

"So, a hearty thank you to all you Leavers for making our lives just that little bit more difficult."

Not at all; it's a pleasure.
Try blaming Barclaycard, rather than those who exercised their democratic right to vote for their preferred option in a national referendum.

Well said Bodach??

lemongrove Thu 17-Sep-20 17:56:30

Urmstongran

What is illegal biba70? Sorry I don’t follow you here.

Using a friend or relative for their address.

Oopsadaisy4 Thu 17-Sep-20 18:00:31

I guess you can’t expect to have all of the advantages of living in the UK, if you have chosen to make your home in another country.

Urmstongran Thu 17-Sep-20 18:02:24

Thank you lemongrove I’m obviously slow on the uptake this afternoon!

Yes of course it’s illegal. Everyone who does that knows it yet risks it for a biscuit. Those who did so have had a good run but it’s all coming to an end.

Today’s technologies and the financial hit from Covid means countries and businesses are looking to maximise their incomes and profits (taxes payable). The gravy train is ending. We all have a choice where to live for 184 days of the year.

Jaberwok Thu 17-Sep-20 18:04:14

I can't really imagine that anyone would expect someone else completely unknown to them to base their vote on a miscellaneous persons Barclay Card arrangements?!?. With great respect, people living in Europe have had four years to clarify what this will mean to them on all matters, and will presumably have made appropriate arrangements?

biba70 Thu 17-Sep-20 18:11:12

How unnecessarily uncaring and flippant! How could thea y possibly imagine that some banks would stop them using their exisiting cards.

Oopsadaisy- same for you. the point is, that people made the decision to go and live in the EU, secure in the knowledge their pensions and the access to them via their long held UK bank accounts, would be secure.

Callistemon 'There are umpteen choices for alternative cards.
I can't see what the problem is.' - then you are not looking very hard. People who live in the EU have UK pensions, based on a lifetime of contributions in the UK - paid into their UK bank accounts and later transferred. If you live abroad, you cannot have a choice of credit cards - really, it is not hard to understand.

LauraNorder Thu 17-Sep-20 18:11:19

Those who have chosen to live in warmer climes and transfer their UK pension to other shores to benefit the economy of other countries can't really expect sympathy from those of us who choose to stay, choose to support our economy and choose sovereignty over being governed from afar, when banks pick them up on the illegal practice of using the address of others to keep their UK accounts open.
Plenty of world banks will be happy to accept their business so I suggest looking in to a different bank.

Ellianne Thu 17-Sep-20 18:13:01

I guess we take the rough with the smooth when we choose to live abroad. I have five years' worth of a pension scheme I paid into in France which, with the loss of reciprocal arrangements, I doubt I will ever see.

Urmstongran Thu 17-Sep-20 18:16:34

Sensible post Ellianne.

biba70 Thu 17-Sep-20 18:16:48

Jaberwok 'With great respect, people living in Europe have had four years to clarify what this will mean to them on all matters, and will presumably have made appropriate arrangements?'

how could they clarify anything? Every single Brexiter I know voted for a great Deal, the best Deal, the oven ready Deal. No Deal will bring with it issues and problems none of them could have anticipated, nor would have chosen.

Urmstongran Thu 17-Sep-20 18:19:53

biba I know an awful lot of people who voted to leave the EU who said they didn’t vote for ‘a deal’. They were never asked that. Just get us OUT they say.

(I still think a deal will be done).

biba70 Thu 17-Sep-20 18:24:45

Just shows not all Brexiters are the same. Why, do you think. did Mrs May then Johnson, promise, again and again- a Deal, the best Deal, etc? if it was not massively important for many Brexiters and even more, any who were hesitant and concerned about the catastrophic consequences of No Deal.

There is NO way the EU will compromise on a level playing field and GFA and border, quite rightly.

mokryna Thu 17-Sep-20 18:25:08

Ellianne

I guess we take the rough with the smooth when we choose to live abroad. I have five years' worth of a pension scheme I paid into in France which, with the loss of reciprocal arrangements, I doubt I will ever see.

I don’t see why not, they even honored the work I did in the UK and gave me extra points for towards my French pension without endangering my English one. They suggested it which was very kind of them Have you claimed your French one yet?

vegansrock Thu 17-Sep-20 18:27:17

But we were promised a deal. Oven ready or half baked?

biba70 Thu 17-Sep-20 18:30:30

mixing microwave and Gas 5 ... massive explosion in sight!