Gransnet forums

News & politics

Another Brexit "benefit"

(269 Posts)
Dinahmo Thu 17-Sep-20 12:26:30

Those of us living in the EU are about to be deprived of the use of our Barclaycards as a direct result of the UK leaving the EU. Like many others who have retired to France, Spain, Portugal, Italy and other EU countries my income derives from the UK and I use my card to purchase items from the UK and also when we visit.

So, a hearty thank you to all you Leavers for making our lives just that little bit more difficult.

Callistemon Thu 17-Sep-20 12:29:53

Why is that, Dinahmo? Is it just an anomaly with Barclaycards or all credit cards?

Callistemon Thu 17-Sep-20 12:32:03

This article is two years old but relevent:

www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/saving/article-5974335/Thousands-expat-Barclaycard-customers-accounts-shut.html

It sounds as if it is just Barclaycard; they are not the most helpful of banks.

Urmstongran Thu 17-Sep-20 12:44:47

Barclays statement:

“Please log into your Barclay Card online servicing account and update details of your UK residential address before November 16, 2020. Your address must be in one of the following countries; England, Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland. If you’re unable to provide us with your UK residential address by November 16, 2020, your account will be closed on that day. If you have any other accounts or banking services with us, that are affected by these changes, we’ll be in touch separately about them.”

janeainsworth Thu 17-Sep-20 12:49:27

I can understand your annoyance dinahmo but it’s not logical to blame the ‘leavers’ for something that Barclaycard have done.
(and no, I didn’t vote leave).
I’m sure Santander or Capital One would welcome your business.

janeainsworth Thu 17-Sep-20 12:52:53

Actually it’s not news. This article is from 2018
www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/saving/article-5974335/amp/Thousands-expat-Barclaycard-customers-accounts-shut.html

Dinahmo Thu 17-Sep-20 12:56:57

Urmstongran

Barclays statement:

“Please log into your Barclay Card online servicing account and update details of your UK residential address before November 16, 2020. Your address must be in one of the following countries; England, Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland. If you’re unable to provide us with your UK residential address by November 16, 2020, your account will be closed on that day. If you have any other accounts or banking services with us, that are affected by these changes, we’ll be in touch separately about them.”

Yes I know that but it means asking a friend to allow us to use their address.

grandtanteJE65 Thu 17-Sep-20 12:56:58

You can use a Visa card anywhere in the EU and in the UK.

Why bank with Barcley's if they are so unhelpful?

Dinahmo Thu 17-Sep-20 13:08:29

grandtanteJE65

You can use a Visa card anywhere in the EU and in the UK.

Why bank with Barcley's if they are so unhelpful?

I don't bank with Barclays, I just have a credit card. Most cards are Visa these days, including my CA card. I have a large limit on my credit card which I am unlikely to get if I switch to a new one. Also I want a sterling credit card.

EllanVannin Thu 17-Sep-20 13:19:53

Barclaycard is a separate entity to Barclays local banks. I used to have a platinum account with Barclaycard and many years ago I paid it off but still get their updates-balance nil etc. after ringing to cancel altogether and have also told my local bank numerous times but still these letters keep coming. They just won't be told. It's only as good as the idiots in charge.

Oopsadaisy4 Thu 17-Sep-20 13:23:43

Doesn’t this just apply to Barclay Bank account holders?

Surely the Visa card is a separate entity?

Oopsadaisy4 Thu 17-Sep-20 13:24:18

Sorry ellenvallin by the time I had posted you had also posted the same reply

janipat Thu 17-Sep-20 13:27:14

As a British UK resident I was and still am of the opinion I wanted to remain in the EU. I think your post, as a non-resident, comes across as a bit egotistical. Your inconvenience is likely to be small scale compared to that which threatens those of us that do live here.

merlotgran Thu 17-Sep-20 13:30:06

Go on Martin Lewis's website and choose a different credit card. There are some really good balance transfer deals available.

Callistemon Thu 17-Sep-20 13:55:54

Yes I know that but it means asking a friend to allow us to use their address.

It would be easier to take it a different credit card.
I doubt a friend would allow that.

Mamie Thu 17-Sep-20 13:57:42

No it doesn't just apply to people who bank with Barclay's. We have had Barclaycards for fifty years and got the same letter. You can't use a relative's address in the UK, you have to be resident there. It is a minor nuisance for us as long as our ordinary UK bank cards are still ok as we use our UK account for our UK pensions and transfer what we need each month. I think it very unlikely that anyone resident abroad would be able to open a new account in the UK. We have always been told to hang on to the ones we have got.
I agree that it isn't a major disaster for us, but it does demonstrate how closely our lives are entangled with the UK and how complicated it is to undo the last forty plus years of union with Europe.

Callistemon Thu 17-Sep-20 13:57:58

janeainsworth

I can understand your annoyance dinahmo but it’s not logical to blame the ‘leavers’ for something that Barclaycard have done.
(and no, I didn’t vote leave).
I’m sure Santander or Capital One would welcome your business.

-- ditto --

It applies to all overseas customers of Barclaycard.

EllanVannin Thu 17-Sep-20 14:04:20

Can I point out that this is just the start ! Which is one of many reasons why I voted to Remain. First reason being the security of this country which, given time, will be compromised.

Dinahmo Thu 17-Sep-20 14:10:31

merlotgran

Go on Martin Lewis's website and choose a different credit card. There are some really good balance transfer deals available.

I'll have a look but I doubt that it will be of much use to me since the only UK address that I have is an office address and that doesn't count.

Would those people living in the UK with second homes in the EU be similarly affected if they have a foreign bank account?

Mamie Thu 17-Sep-20 14:14:28

We have been told that the loss of our cards is linked to Brexit.

Bodach Thu 17-Sep-20 14:25:38

"So, a hearty thank you to all you Leavers for making our lives just that little bit more difficult."

Not at all; it's a pleasure.
Try blaming Barclaycard, rather than those who exercised their democratic right to vote for their preferred option in a national referendum.

25Avalon Thu 17-Sep-20 14:47:33

Barclays took similar action against holders living in the US two years ago.

They obtained permission and were moving money and staff to Eire so they could continue to service their customers in Europe or so they said so what happened to that?

mokryna Thu 17-Sep-20 15:00:33

I had saved with the same building society for 40 years but the new takeover company forced the account’s closure because I am living in the EU. I have tried to find another society to open a savings account but none want a European address

biba70 Thu 17-Sep-20 15:04:38

Bodach 'Not at all; it's a pleasure. '

how lovely and kind.

Perhaps some of us will one day, say 'we told you so- you were warned' ... with pleasure, probably not sad

varian Thu 17-Sep-20 15:29:33

Some leavers have expressed regret, but most will never take responsibility for the harm caused, no matters how much it hurts us all.