Gransnet forums

News & politics

The US Supreme Court

(83 Posts)
suziewoozie Sat 19-Sep-20 14:25:45

I have always felt that the process of appointing US Supreme Court Judges to be frighteningly flawed and following the death of RBG, all the more so. It’s appalling they are appointed for life and in such a political manner. I’m also all the more concerned now because if Trump gets his way, we over here will be affected by the attack and lessening of the rights of women and other minorities.

Btw I’ve left the other thread on RBG for tributes to her and started this one to discuss the political ramifications.

rosecarmel Tue 29-Sep-20 23:09:46

"In 2006, Barrett told graduates of the Notre Dame Law School, which she had attended and where she was teaching, that they should see their upcoming legal careers "as but a means to an end ... and that end is building the Kingdom of God.""

www.npr.org/2020/09/29/917943045/amy-coney-barretts-catholicism-is-controversial-but-may-not-be-confirmation-issu

Greeneyedgirl Mon 28-Sep-20 13:23:08

Yes very concerning. Nothing it seems is off bounds any more as we seamlessly move towards the 51st State of USA.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 28-Sep-20 11:47:04

Greeneyedgirl

One of the good things about the U.K. is our independent judiciary. It will be a sorry day if they become part of the political establishment.

Not for long

MayBee70 Mon 28-Sep-20 11:45:29

Cummings is working on that I believe.

Greeneyedgirl Mon 28-Sep-20 11:07:59

One of the good things about the U.K. is our independent judiciary. It will be a sorry day if they become part of the political establishment.

jaylucy Mon 28-Sep-20 09:58:51

My understanding is that the choice of judge in the Supreme court has always been up to the president and their choice can determine how the sentencing for crimes are set, should they reach the Supreme Court.
The sentencing is decided not so much on what is actually the law, but how it is interpreted is by the personal belief of the residing judge. Hardly makes for consistency!

Whitewavemark2 Mon 28-Sep-20 09:54:22

Yes she definitely sees her husband as her head.

It is incredibly weird and I do wonder how a society can produce such cults and promote these people to power.

MayBee70 Mon 28-Sep-20 09:49:17

This is something else that bothers med albeit just a small detail. After she made her speech her family all did a photo shoot with her. But her son, the one with Down’s syndrome that Trump had spoken about wasn’t included in that photo shoot. He was definitely there with his siblings. It really annoyed me. And why say publicly that the children’s favourite family member was the adopted child? Surely you shouldn’t publicly talk about favourites when addressing the nation (and the world). It was a very odd occasion all round imo. Quite creepy.

NanKate Mon 28-Sep-20 07:19:32

I don’t usually join in this type of thread but I find it very worrying for the US if Trump’s nominee is elected.

An article I read recently said she is joined to a very strict Religious cult. It also said the Margaret Atwood’s book The Handmaid’s Tale is based on this cult. An ex member said that women are not allowed to disagree with their husbands or the consequences are dire!

My concern is women losing their rights, gay people being ostracised. It is a backward step IMO.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 28-Sep-20 06:14:32

Off topic I know but I thought I’d just put this in here.

2016 Trumps tax bill was $750!!!

Whitewavemark2 Mon 28-Sep-20 06:11:06

A House of Cards about to come tumbling down. Can a bankrupt be president?

The New York Times
@nytimes
· 7h
Exclusive: The Times has obtained tax-return data for President Trump extending over more than two decades.
It shows his finances under stress, beset by losses that he aggressively employs to avoid paying taxes and hundreds of millions in debt coming due. nyti.ms/308oHAj

Urmstongran Sun 27-Sep-20 18:27:16

NannyC2

Great news about Amy Coney Barrett and for America. Trump is heading for a landslide just wait and see!
As I have heard many, many people say, we are indeed living in amazing times.

Not just me swbut you’re always quick to jump on me.
My post came after this one.
☹️

suziewoozie Sun 27-Sep-20 18:17:23

Urm derailing again? I wonder why that’s not against guidelines?

Urmstongran Sun 27-Sep-20 17:23:41

Slightly off topic but I’ve always thought Trump will get a second term. I guess many people like to say they don’t like him - until they are in the polling booth.

rosecarmel Sun 27-Sep-20 17:12:43

NannyC2, I agree- These times are both historical and cause for amazement- And yet at the same time predictable, considering the patterns of our collective, political past-

NannyC2 Sun 27-Sep-20 15:40:05

Great news about Amy Coney Barrett and for America. Trump is heading for a landslide just wait and see!
As I have heard many, many people say, we are indeed living in amazing times.

rosecarmel Sun 27-Sep-20 04:07:53

The True Victors of Trump’s Supreme Court Nomination

Amy Coney Barrett’s ascension is a triumph for the conservative legal movement.

Emma Green
September 25, 2020

"If Barrett is confirmed, a new 6-to-3 conservative supermajority will be poised to determine Americans’ rights for a generation."

From The Atlantic:

www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2020/09/trump-supreme-court-conservative-legal-movement/616505/

For a generation ..

NotSpaghetti Sun 27-Sep-20 01:29:55

Auzldy - I think it's interesting that you say Trump was hated by career politicians because he could NOT be bought when many of us believe he is bought in so many ways!

Re "late term" abortion - this is an emotive phrase and not linked to the medical meaning which is pretty clear.

suziewoozie Sun 27-Sep-20 00:56:12

May she’s not pro-life, she’s anti-abortion and anti-choice. She thinks women should not have bodily autonomy.

rosecarmel Sun 27-Sep-20 00:09:50

I can admire someone's decision making process while not admiring what they decided-

I know the Democrats wouldn't hesitate if the shoe was on the other foot- But I'm almost certain they would have waited until "any" Justice was buried-

MayBee70 Sat 26-Sep-20 23:28:34

How can she be pro life but pro gun and anti Obamacare? Makes no sense to me. She reminds me of that Alaskan Vice President from a while back.

rosecarmel Sat 26-Sep-20 22:38:58

He nominated Amy Coney Barrett- She is anti-abortion- Perhaps that will change a few Republican Senators minds- Or not-

suziewoozie Sat 26-Sep-20 20:45:48

No hope at all - the Senate must basically be one of the most undemocratic chambers in the so - called free world.

varian Sat 26-Sep-20 20:23:47

Do you think that there might be enough Republican senators willing to stand up against Trump rosecarmel?

rosecarmel Sat 26-Sep-20 18:52:58

He/they have until January to appoint- Election Day isn't the deadline- A President holds office until the next is sworn in-