Gransnet forums

News & politics

The US Supreme Court

(82 Posts)
suziewoozie Sat 19-Sep-20 14:25:45

I have always felt that the process of appointing US Supreme Court Judges to be frighteningly flawed and following the death of RBG, all the more so. It’s appalling they are appointed for life and in such a political manner. I’m also all the more concerned now because if Trump gets his way, we over here will be affected by the attack and lessening of the rights of women and other minorities.

Btw I’ve left the other thread on RBG for tributes to her and started this one to discuss the political ramifications.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 19-Sep-20 16:16:32

Will he have time? Can people drag their feet?

He’s only got about 6 weeks hasn’t he?

M0nica Sat 19-Sep-20 16:19:36

I do not think there would be time for his appointee to go through all the Senatorial and Congress approval stages in time - at least I am hoping for that - unless of course Trump wins the election shock angry sad

Whitewavemark2 Sat 19-Sep-20 16:21:24

M0nica

I do not think there would be time for his appointee to go through all the Senatorial and Congress approval stages in time - at least I am hoping for that - unless of course Trump wins the election shock angry sad

Same here

suziewoozie Sat 19-Sep-20 17:43:59

I’m listening to Simon Marks on LBC an excellent US correspondent - he says it could happen in the time frame.

suziewoozie Sat 19-Sep-20 17:46:09

And I think only the Senate is involved in confirmation. It’s not like a trade deal where both houses have to approve

SueDonim Sat 19-Sep-20 18:29:59

It’s scary, isn’t it? I don’t really understand how justice can be political. Surely it should be impartial?

That aside, from what I’ve read, whether Trump can get an appointee through depends on whether any of the Republican senators abstain or vote against his choice.

This article explains it under the second section. www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-us-2020-54215483

suziewoozie Sat 19-Sep-20 18:48:44

The small group of more ‘liberal’ Republican senators have form on talking the talk and then melting away sadly

biba70 Sat 19-Sep-20 19:08:52

It is seriously worrying? As Sue says, Justice should not be political.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 19-Sep-20 19:26:56

I see that Obama was blocked from appointing in 2016. So let’s hope it can happen this time around.

biba70 Sat 19-Sep-20 19:33:51

Do you have any links to that effect? Please. How was he blocked, on what grounds ???

Whitewavemark2 Sat 19-Sep-20 19:38:16

I don’t know - it was on the BBC you know the stuff that goes along the bottom.

Could try googling it!

I’m having a bit of escapism with Strictly. I don’t really like it much but needs must!

biba70 Sat 19-Sep-20 19:48:42

Thanks, can't blame you for sure- and might join you in a mo.

I have to admit to being hugle ignorant about this US Supreme Court- so lots of Googling required.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 19-Sep-20 19:52:32

Be interesting to see what you find.

The judiciary are political appointees in USA.

Cummings we know is going after the judiciary, but I hope he doesn’t follow USA.

Our independent system serves us very well.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 19-Sep-20 19:53:09

Strictly isn’t much of it - too much talking.

suziewoozie Sat 19-Sep-20 20:10:41

It was in the February of his last year. The Senate stopped him on grounds it was too late in his presidency. It was all part of the bloody awful way Obama was stymied every which way but loose during his presidency.

M0nica Sat 19-Sep-20 20:38:45

Trump is trying to what Obama wanted to do when a Supreme Court Justice died a few months before his term ended, but the Republicans stopped it.

Sauce for the goos eshould be sauce for the gander. Lets hope a group of Democratic Congress members/Senators do the same to Trump

suziewoozie Sat 19-Sep-20 20:42:52

The invisible poster ?

suziewoozie Sat 19-Sep-20 20:43:53

Ditto my comment about it being the Senate. Never mind?

biba70 Sat 19-Sep-20 20:55:10

Invisible poster???

Ah, been doing a bit og Googling- let's hope the Democrats will turn the Dems trick of a few years ago agaisnt them.

suziewoozie Sat 19-Sep-20 20:56:04

www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/09/18/politics/merrick-garland-senate-republicans-timeline/index.html

Here’s the full story behind the Obama nomination. MOnica can post it again for you to read as obvs my posts aren’t appearing ???

Greeneyedgirl Sat 19-Sep-20 20:56:38

I think it’s very concerning especially as the Senate has a 53 to 47 Republican majority. Very bad outlook for the US and particularly women, if Trump manages to appoint a Republican Supreme Court Judge.

Where the US goes, UK often follows ? How long will we have an independent judiciary?

Whitewavemark2 Sat 19-Sep-20 20:57:26

suziewoozie

www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/09/18/politics/merrick-garland-senate-republicans-timeline/index.html

Here’s the full story behind the Obama nomination. MOnica can post it again for you to read as obvs my posts aren’t appearing ???

???

suziewoozie Sat 19-Sep-20 21:02:14

The Democrats have no power in this as they are not in the majority in the senate. I said the Democrats have... oh never mind ????

absent Sat 19-Sep-20 21:10:05

Senate Leader Mitch McConnell blocked President Obama's "pick" on the grounds that it was an election year, although it was some months until the election. The same Mitch McConnell has stated, almost within minutes of the announcement of Justice Ginsberg's death, that he will bring Donald Trump's candidate to the vote immediately. A small number – four, so far, I think –of Republican senators have said that they will vote against a new appointee at this time. One of the four has a habit of changing her mind.