Gransnet forums

News & politics

The US Supreme Court

(83 Posts)
suziewoozie Sat 19-Sep-20 14:25:45

I have always felt that the process of appointing US Supreme Court Judges to be frighteningly flawed and following the death of RBG, all the more so. It’s appalling they are appointed for life and in such a political manner. I’m also all the more concerned now because if Trump gets his way, we over here will be affected by the attack and lessening of the rights of women and other minorities.

Btw I’ve left the other thread on RBG for tributes to her and started this one to discuss the political ramifications.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 28-Sep-20 09:54:22

Yes she definitely sees her husband as her head.

It is incredibly weird and I do wonder how a society can produce such cults and promote these people to power.

jaylucy Mon 28-Sep-20 09:58:51

My understanding is that the choice of judge in the Supreme court has always been up to the president and their choice can determine how the sentencing for crimes are set, should they reach the Supreme Court.
The sentencing is decided not so much on what is actually the law, but how it is interpreted is by the personal belief of the residing judge. Hardly makes for consistency!

Greeneyedgirl Mon 28-Sep-20 11:07:59

One of the good things about the U.K. is our independent judiciary. It will be a sorry day if they become part of the political establishment.

MayBee70 Mon 28-Sep-20 11:45:29

Cummings is working on that I believe.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 28-Sep-20 11:47:04

Greeneyedgirl

One of the good things about the U.K. is our independent judiciary. It will be a sorry day if they become part of the political establishment.

Not for long

Greeneyedgirl Mon 28-Sep-20 13:23:08

Yes very concerning. Nothing it seems is off bounds any more as we seamlessly move towards the 51st State of USA.

rosecarmel Tue 29-Sep-20 23:09:46

"In 2006, Barrett told graduates of the Notre Dame Law School, which she had attended and where she was teaching, that they should see their upcoming legal careers "as but a means to an end ... and that end is building the Kingdom of God.""

www.npr.org/2020/09/29/917943045/amy-coney-barretts-catholicism-is-controversial-but-may-not-be-confirmation-issu