Gransnet forums

News & politics

Government pushes for ultra conservative journalists to lead Ofcom and the BBC

(28 Posts)
varian Mon 28-Sep-20 10:44:04

Here is Cummings latest move

inews.co.uk/news/politics/downing-street-political-interference-broadcasting-roles-paul-dacre-charles-moore-663587

Ilovecheese Mon 28-Sep-20 11:06:03

The Conservatives want to get rid of the BBC, partly because, I think, it is something that is available to almost everyone, and can bring people together to enjoy a collective experience. The Olympic Opening ceremony for instance, a royal wedding, or a very popular drama e.g, Line of Duty.
The current Government seems to prefer to divide and rule. They also want Rupert Murdoch to be the main provider of news and opinion forming.
I think the BBC is a bargain.

varian Mon 28-Sep-20 11:42:26

Placing editorial regulation of the BBC into the hands of the “politically-controlled” watchdog Ofcom would be an “assault on freedom of expression that should horrify all lovers of liberty.” How do we know this? Because Paul Dacre’s Daily Mail said so in a typically-thunderous editorial back in 2013.

Fast forward and Dacre is Downing Street’s choice to cut the BBC down to size, as the new head of Ofcom, with Charles Moore poised to complete the task of replacing the compulsory licence fee with subscription payments as Chairman of the broadcaster.

The mooted appointment of two life-long critics of the BBC’s “left-wing bias” and sprawling expansion signalled an “all out war” on the Corporation, insiders fear.

recentnews.uk/2020/09/27/boris-johnsons-touting-of-dacre-and-moore-for-top-broadcasting-roles-signals-all-out-war-on-the-bbc-2/

In spite of the outrageous pro-brexit bias we have seen for the last five years, and the number of Tory political commentators they have employed, the BBC is still accused by the rightwingers of "left-wing bias". If these appointments are allowed it can only get worse.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 28-Sep-20 11:46:25

Cummings is gradually taking over all the major institutions.

It is a carbon copy of the USA where everything is becoming politicised.

trisher Mon 28-Sep-20 11:50:55

It seems to be the way things are going. Gone are the BBC's glory years when it discovered talent and stretched boundaries. I suspect it will go. One completely unrelated fact. Charles Moore had a great aunt who was a militant suffragette, who was imprisoned and was one of the first women to go on hunger strike (these were not force fed that came later). The whole family of Brown women, mother Margaret and sisters Norah and Sydney were active in the movement in Newcastle. How militancy and radicalism can fade in a generation!

paddyanne Mon 28-Sep-20 11:51:25

State controlled media......wonder where Bojo got that idea from.He's not friends with any Russians ....is he?

trisher Mon 28-Sep-20 11:52:08

Missed out his great-aunt's name, she was Kathleen Brown.

varian Mon 28-Sep-20 11:52:23

Charles Moore's parents were both Liberal councillors. What a disappointment he must have been to them!

Furret Mon 28-Sep-20 12:07:01

Where Trump leads ( eg his appointments of right wing judges) then Boris et al will blindly follow.

Furret Mon 28-Sep-20 12:07:47

You can see how dictators emerge.

Elegran Mon 28-Sep-20 12:40:34

So it begins. Replace everyone who might have some influence on public opinion other than what is decreed by Big Brother. Fill all public service posts with political nominees. Flood the media with material discrediting political opponents. Shout loudly in public about inclusiveness, and label freedom of speech about genuine equality as an attack on some group or other, meanwhile convert a two-party political system, which was pretty discriminating against those who were not at the extreme of either, into a one-party system which marginalises almost everyone. Make much of "freedom" while maximising control. Allow an unelected advisor more power than a whole debating chamber of official representatives, gathered together for the express purpose of openly discussing proposed changes or additions to the nation's laws.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 28-Sep-20 13:03:33

Elegran

So it begins. Replace everyone who might have some influence on public opinion other than what is decreed by Big Brother. Fill all public service posts with political nominees. Flood the media with material discrediting political opponents. Shout loudly in public about inclusiveness, and label freedom of speech about genuine equality as an attack on some group or other, meanwhile convert a two-party political system, which was pretty discriminating against those who were not at the extreme of either, into a one-party system which marginalises almost everyone. Make much of "freedom" while maximising control. Allow an unelected advisor more power than a whole debating chamber of official representatives, gathered together for the express purpose of openly discussing proposed changes or additions to the nation's laws.

Where have we seen this happen before I wonder?

Elegran Mon 28-Sep-20 16:34:46

"The nation that forgets its history" (or forgets what it knows has happened previously elsewhere) "is condemned to repeat it." It never happens exactly the same of course, which lulls a lot of people into retorting that it is alarmist to hark back to old history, and claim that it could never happen here
Oh yes it could.

Callistemon Mon 28-Sep-20 16:46:25

There is no question that audiences aged 55 and over are BBC television's most loyal consumers - with a staggering 92% reach in that age group, who watch nearly 13 minutes of BBC TV a week, compared with the two and a half minutes watched by 16-34 year olds.

BBC Report 2019

The BBC is not as influential as it likes to think.
Do we need a State Broadcasting Service with a compulsory fee?

No.

varian Mon 28-Sep-20 17:55:53

Perhaps I am, in my old age, succumbing to nostalgia.

There was a time - and it was not that many years ago, when I was glad to live in a country which had an unarmed police force, education free of charge from kindergarten to university for all who could benefit, and a National Health Service free to all at the point of use. We were sure that British values of honesty and integrity were respected throughout the world.

I am now struggling to recognise what our poor country has become.

Callistemon Mon 28-Sep-20 19:13:54

And 'Auntie' BBC, varian?

Urmstongran Mon 28-Sep-20 19:46:50

Oh how all you liberal lefties don’t like it!

I’m delighted.
It should redress the balance.

Mind you, it’s not a done deal. Only a proposal. All contenders have to go before a committee yet.

trisher Mon 28-Sep-20 20:03:53

Urmstongran I don't really mind who heads it as long as they realise that what is needed is investment in real and progressive arts and education. Like we had when the Beeb produced people like Mike Leigh and Ken Russell not to mention in the 80s French and Saunders. Unfortunately as the Beeb has veered to the right it has paid fortunes to untalented people. I can't see Charles Moore changing that.

Elegran Mon 28-Sep-20 20:06:20

I'm not a liberal leftie, Urmstongran, but I dislike the interference of Dominic Cummings in the appointment of top staff at the BBC as much as I would dislike interference by the extreme left to influence it.

The aim of those overseeing the Beeb (once the envy of the world) should be to ensure that what is provided is a mixture of neutral and unbiased news reporting, balanced discussion, factual documentaries, new and classic drama, and a variety of entertainment and educational material for people of all ages, from toddlers to nonagenarians, not to broadcast propaganda for one of our two main political parties.

Elegran Mon 28-Sep-20 20:07:05

We need a clone of David Attenburgh.

varian Mon 28-Sep-20 20:09:55

Auntie is looking rather frail and vulnerable.

Elegran Mon 28-Sep-20 20:16:13

There's life in the old girl yet, if she can shake off the take-over attempts by those who can't wait for her to kick the bucket before they muscle in on all her assets - a wide consumer base, a long history of solid worth, demonstrated in the many products that have been exported world-wide, a reputation for probity, an A-list of artists and producers, a network of local offices etc etc etc.

trisher Mon 28-Sep-20 20:45:13

Elegran that's already gone. There is now a difference between the BBC and BBC studios, which is the creative branch of the industry.

Elegran Tue 29-Sep-20 08:51:11

The reputation for excellence still lingers on, by the skin of its teeth. It still has an aura of sanctity that the commercial stations don't. That is what the propagandists want to cash in on.

eazybee Tue 29-Sep-20 09:23:50

I would welcome a return to the BBC news programmes reporting the news, as factually as possible, not giving their personal opinion of it.