Gransnet forums

News & politics

Trump / Biden Debate tonight 9/29 @ 9:00 Eastern

(77 Posts)
rosecarmel Tue 29-Sep-20 23:34:09

The first of 3 debates will take place tonight at 9 at Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland, OH-

“Fox News Sunday” host Chris Wallace will serve as the moderator and recently set the topics: the candidates’ records, the Supreme Court, the pandemic, the economy, race and violence in cities and the integrity of the election.

TerriBull Wed 30-Sep-20 13:31:50

300 million people or thereabouts and these two are the best they could come up with shock I know candidates need a lot of money behind them, but there must be some better ones out there somewhere!

PamelaJ1 Wed 30-Sep-20 13:49:40

If anything was to make me thankful we don’t have a President then this was it.

flump Wed 30-Sep-20 14:19:40

If America wants to gain an iota of standing in the world, they should vote for Biden, Electoral College not withstanding, (how odd is that?). At least other countries would not either be laughing at, or feeling sorry for, the USA as so many are now. With Trump as President, that country has become "the swamp he wanted to drain". His actions and reactions have been bred in him. Look at his family history.

And if I hear someone else say the president, red or blue, is the leader of the free world, I'll scream. It's outdated, not true and so last century!

suziewoozie Wed 30-Sep-20 14:25:19

Added to most of the above, I think the moderator was dreadful and should have a mute button. I actually think set piece debates like this are worse than useless in determining who would be the best president ( or PM in this country).

quizqueen Wed 30-Sep-20 14:37:54

If he does get elected, he may meet an unfortunate little accident not long afterwards and then the Democrats can pretend to be so sad and his running mate, their real choice, will step in.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 30-Sep-20 15:10:45

quizqueen

If he does get elected, he may meet an unfortunate little accident not long afterwards and then the Democrats can pretend to be so sad and his running mate, their real choice, will step in.

Strewth!

suziewoozie Wed 30-Sep-20 15:39:36

qq ?????. Really ?

phoenix Wed 30-Sep-20 15:46:24

Says something that those 2 candidates are the only ones that the USA can come up with.

Furret Wed 30-Sep-20 16:11:03

I really don’t see what Biden could have done when he was constantly being interrupted and talked over all the time. The moderator was a total farce and should have turned off tRump’s microphone - the rules said that they should have 2 minutes uninterrupted to answer the question.

MawB2 Wed 30-Sep-20 16:38:01

I don’t think either of them did themselves any favours did they?

Parsley3 Wed 30-Sep-20 17:54:48

I thought Biden looked and sounded frail and Trump was repulsive as always.
Is there not a single American born, 35 year old in the whole of the USA who aspires to be president?

varian Wed 30-Sep-20 18:04:58

Perhaps we should remember that the moderator works for Fox News, which was immensely helpful to getting Trump elected in 2016.

SueDonim Wed 30-Sep-20 18:07:02

I have an American granddaughter who aspires to be the first female US president.

She has a canny head on her and I reckon would make a better job of it than these two would, even though she’s only seven years old. grin

varian Wed 30-Sep-20 18:09:58

She sounds ideal Sue, but is she a billionaire?

JessK Wed 30-Sep-20 18:17:17

Good grief and I thought we had bad candidates to choose from. Just like two kids scrapping in the back yard.

SueDonim Wed 30-Sep-20 18:22:46

She’s working on it, Varian. wink

Her parents pay a damn sight more tax than Trump does. I guess they’re not smart. ?

Hetty58 Wed 30-Sep-20 18:35:35

rosecarmel, having seen them squabbling (like children) on the news, I have no wish to watch any more!

rosecarmel Wed 30-Sep-20 18:53:28

I don't blame you in the least, Hetty!

We missed a golden opportunity with Elizabeth Warren-

Michelle Obama suggested during the convention that we not waste our votes by writing in the candidate of our choice but to vote for Joe- In others words, vote for him regardless in order to win back the oval office-

He's an awful choice .. and admit I'm not convinced I should vote for him ..

Whitewavemark2 Wed 30-Sep-20 19:03:29

rosecarmel

I don't blame you in the least, Hetty!

We missed a golden opportunity with Elizabeth Warren-

Michelle Obama suggested during the convention that we not waste our votes by writing in the candidate of our choice but to vote for Joe- In others words, vote for him regardless in order to win back the oval office-

He's an awful choice .. and admit I'm not convinced I should vote for him ..

Surely you wouldn’t support a Nazi supporter!!!

Urmstongran Wed 30-Sep-20 19:32:36

It was an unedifying slanging match, difficult to watch and listen to in fact. Apparently the format is going to be changed for the next debate thank goodness. Hopefully the next one will be better moderated.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 30-Sep-20 19:38:32

Urmstongran

It was an unedifying slanging match, difficult to watch and listen to in fact. Apparently the format is going to be changed for the next debate thank goodness. Hopefully the next one will be better moderated.

I assume you are changing your mind about Trump after his refusal to condem the group of Nazi supporters? In fact he went further and told them to be prepared!!!

grannyrebel7 Wed 30-Sep-20 19:39:08

Can you imagine Barack Obama conducting himself in this manner - it was a total car crash! If I was an American I wouldn't vote for either of them. Appalling behaviour!

Urmstongran Wed 30-Sep-20 19:43:14

Trump will still win I think.

varian Wed 30-Sep-20 19:47:59

What a shocking contrast between the graceful, intelligent decency and dignity of Obama and the graceless, ignorant grossness and narcissiism of Trump.

MerylStreep Wed 30-Sep-20 19:54:07

Urmstongran
I won money when he was elected. I think my bets pretty safe this time.