Gransnet forums

News & politics

Patel would have us return to the Nineteenth Century

(116 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Wed 30-Sep-20 08:54:31

Ascension Island was her first choice to transport those people fleeing war and famine. 4000 miles away.

Obviously not far enough for Patel, as that has been abandoned.

MayBee70 Thu 08-Oct-20 23:30:34

It has been given quite a lot of coverage in the press, biba. But not sure what channels it was on.

MaizieD Thu 08-Oct-20 21:08:42

There would have been more on the flight but I believe some pesky do-gooder lawyers made a cogent legal case for not deporting them...

biba70 Thu 08-Oct-20 18:41:29

À Rennes, un avion de 180 places arrivé d’Angleterre pour expulser un seul migrant

Un avion en provenance de Londres a atterri à Rennes, jeudi 1er octobre 2020, avec à son bord un seul passager, Ismail, un migrant soudanais, expulsé d’Angleterre.

An 180 passenger plane arrived in Rennes in Western France last Thursday - to expulse 1 single passenger, Ismail from Soudan.

Can you imagine the cost, the staffing, the pollution - the sheer stupidity. Has it been flagged up in news in the UK? Certainly the French and Continental Press have called this ridiculous.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 05-Oct-20 10:05:24

GN will not give a platform to racist remarks, not least because they would be breaking the law by giving a platform to such views.

growstuff Sun 04-Oct-20 21:03:39

Maybe she's following Ms Patel's lead when she spoke about ridding the country of anti-terrorists. It's all a bit confusing, although I'm not confused about sparklingsilver28's racism.

Callistemon Sun 04-Oct-20 20:32:04

GrannyGravy13

Oh well that’s a first a poster sparklingsilver28 has reported me for being racist? Obviously they haven’t read or understood what they have posted!!

No, Grannygravy I think the poster in question was reporting you because you said her or his post was racist.
Which it is.

There, you can report me too * sparklingsilver28*.

growstuff Sun 04-Oct-20 20:27:03

MrsRochester

Greeneyedgirl

“It is only by accident of birth that we can live in relative safety.“

This. It troubles me that even if people born here don’t want to welcome others (not my feeling!), they ought at least to recognise and value what they have, by quirk of fate.
Most refugees who make it here have put their lives at risk for the education they desperately want for their children. Many of those children go on to achieve great things.
It’s so sad that many indigenous people don’t appear to value what we have in the same way. (I know the system is far from perfect, but it’s there).

I'm happy to welcome anybody who has the resilience and bravery to trek half way across the world, knowing that the journey is going to be dangerous. It's no wonder that many of these people have so much to offer society.

Some of the great British explorers of the past exhibited the same kind of cultural values and have become icons.

growstuff Sun 04-Oct-20 20:18:47

Ngaio1

Well, I for one, wish we could send these illegals somewhere!! They are forcing their way into the country and will be a burden for evermore. Why on earth doesn't Mrs. Patel have patrol boats stopping this influx. They have already become criminals by entering illegally so owe them nothing. We are too soft by half.

The people who arrive on dinghies are not "illegals". This has been explained before. Not only is it factually untrue, but it's a dehumanising term. I assume you don't even consider these people as human.

MrsRochester Sun 04-Oct-20 20:11:37

Greeneyedgirl

“It is only by accident of birth that we can live in relative safety.“

This. It troubles me that even if people born here don’t want to welcome others (not my feeling!), they ought at least to recognise and value what they have, by quirk of fate.
Most refugees who make it here have put their lives at risk for the education they desperately want for their children. Many of those children go on to achieve great things.
It’s so sad that many indigenous people don’t appear to value what we have in the same way. (I know the system is far from perfect, but it’s there).

varian Sun 04-Oct-20 20:01:34

Is Patel for real?

sparklingsilver28 Sun 04-Oct-20 19:57:16

Whitewavemark2 - Over the years on GN we have had the misfortune to have individuals with your views. They don’t last.

Perhaps not. But neither do they go away.

Thank you for the entertainment.

biba70 Sun 04-Oct-20 19:49:12

Indeed, how we so often feel ss28.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 04-Oct-20 19:49:06

sparklingsilver28

It would seem I have fallen down the rabbit hole into "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland" or is it "One flew over the Cuckoo's Nest".

Over the years on GN we have had the misfortune to have individuals with your views.

They don’t last.

sparklingsilver28 Sun 04-Oct-20 19:46:39

It would seem I have fallen down the rabbit hole into "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland" or is it "One flew over the Cuckoo's Nest".

Alegrias Sun 04-Oct-20 19:45:18

Ah yes biba70, the do-gooders. More of Patel's actual words today:

“As for those defending the broken system – the traffickers, the do gooders, the leftie lawyers, the Labour Party – they are defending the indefensible,” she said.

(Three cheers for GG13's friends, showing values that Britain should be striving for)

biba70 Sun 04-Oct-20 19:34:17

... and the do-gooders, you forgot those ;) - like GG13's friends (well done them, bravo)

Alegrias Sun 04-Oct-20 19:34:01

GrannyGravy13

Blimey that’s a first I don’t think Whitewavemark2 Alegrias and I have ever been grouped together.

Its a funny old world, isn't it? ?

Whitewavemark2 Sun 04-Oct-20 19:32:19

GrannyGravy13

Blimey that’s a first I don’t think Whitewavemark2 Alegrias and I have ever been grouped together.

Nice isn’t it???? you are most welcome.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 04-Oct-20 19:29:54

Sparklingsilver28 if you were to put forward a valid point of view that wasn’t steeped in racism and ignorance perhaps other posters would be happy to engage with you.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 04-Oct-20 19:27:40

Alegrias Sun 04-Oct-20 19:27:40

I feel I'm in good company.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 04-Oct-20 19:23:30

sparklingsilver28

^Whitewavemark2, GrannyGravy13, Alegrias^

Like many, without any thing constructive to combat a point of view, and a narrow understanding and interpretation of what the discussion is actually about, hold hands and use racism in an attempt to counter an unsustainable stance.

No, - for my part I have no wish to give you a platform to air your illegal views.

sparklingsilver28 Sun 04-Oct-20 19:21:02

Whitewavemark2, GrannyGravy13, Alegrias

Like many, without any thing constructive to combat a point of view, and a narrow understanding and interpretation of what the discussion is actually about, hold hands and use racism in an attempt to counter an unsustainable stance.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 04-Oct-20 19:07:37

GrannyGravy13

We have a dear friend who has had several young male refugees from Syria and Afghanistan living with them. They have been helped through their A levels and are now at Universities.

Their stories were horrendous and not mine to tell. (They were verified stories)

Those young men will never forget the kindness and love shown to them.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 04-Oct-20 19:03:28

We have a dear friend who has had several young male refugees from Syria and Afghanistan living with them. They have been helped through their A levels and are now at Universities.

Their stories were horrendous and not mine to tell. (They were verified stories)