Gransnet forums

News & politics

McCluskey really wants to ensure Labour will never be electable !

(172 Posts)
biba70 Wed 07-Oct-20 10:02:18

Well done, bravo - NOT !

trisher Sat 10-Oct-20 19:27:47

I think I have already said that I don't think there is anyone in the LP with charm at present biba70 Lisa Nandy has potential but not enough just now. By the way I don't think charm is necessarily a good thing just a requirement of the public.
As far as costs to the taxpayer go as well I was thinking of how much housing benefit is now going into the hands of private landlords and how if local authorities had still been the huge landlords they once were that money would be being spent on roads and other local services. It's not always as simple as just paying taxes.

Galaxy Sat 10-Oct-20 19:32:03

I actually think that's part of the problem Starmer faces, the quality of labour MPs is not high at the moment, he has a long road ahead of him.

MaizieD Sat 10-Oct-20 20:18:46

I actually think that after the Johnson experience many voters will have had enough of 'charm' to last a lifetime...

(And I'd score May's charm quotient at 0% )

the quality of labour MPs is not high at the moment,

Oh, I don't know - Hilary Benn, Yvette Cooper, David Lammy, Ed Milliband...?

trisher Sat 10-Oct-20 21:06:05

I thought that after Blair MaizieD but then we got Johnson!!!

MaizieD Sat 10-Oct-20 21:16:33

But Blair, for all his grievous fault over Iraq, did have ability.

Johnson reminds me of a favourite saying of one of my primary school teachers 'Empty buckets make the most noise' grin

biba70 Sat 10-Oct-20 22:04:10

Thanks for repliying trisher.

Maizie, I agree - plenty of talent in the LP at the moment, but noe necessarily in the anti Starmer camp. And yes, enough 'so called charm' for a lifetime and more.

trisher Sat 10-Oct-20 23:01:08

I don't think Blair had that much ability I think he traded heavily on having Alistair Campbell as his rottweiler.

Galaxy Sun 11-Oct-20 09:07:26

Part of ability is pulling together a team with a range of skills. Johnson hasnt really been able to do that because of Brexit. Blair was able to do that.

trisher Sun 11-Oct-20 10:09:49

Who should Johnson have included in his team then Galaxy? Although I don't understand how Brexit has stopped him-I just don't think that there is the talent.

biba70 Sun 11-Oct-20 10:14:55

as we see Johnson, Cummings and ERG destroying our Sovereign Parliamentary Democracy little by little, day by day- this is not the time for the 'left' to dither and to be divisive among themselves. The situation is dire, and dangerous in the extreme - the left, and the centre too - need to pull together to stop this. Any scrap of energy and time used for division- is letting them destroy our country as we know it. Divide and rule - Ye Olde Principle still works.

trisher Sun 11-Oct-20 10:56:02

If only that had been advocated before the last election biba70. Closing the stable door after the horse has bolted I'm afraid.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 11-Oct-20 11:07:42

trisher

If only that had been advocated before the last election biba70. Closing the stable door after the horse has bolted I'm afraid.

You are playing Cummings game trish

as biba says divide and rule.

trisher Sun 11-Oct-20 11:21:20

Whitewavemark2 If you could explain "playing the Cummings game" to me I would be grateful. As it is I cannot see what use a LP Tory lite party will be in the next 4 years with such a huge majority in Parliament and actually insisting that those of us who believe in left wing policies are splitting the party is untrue. The policies are debated and agreed upon by party members. Unfortunately no-one seems to know which ones Starmer agrees with (and I have asked).

biba70 Sun 11-Oct-20 12:03:05

Yes, the horse has tragically bolted- but together, being strong, united, clever - we might still be able to catch the blighter and control him until, together, strong, united and clever- we can deal with it approproately.

biba70 Sun 11-Oct-20 12:03:37

sp sorry

biba70 Sun 11-Oct-20 12:04:25

otherwise he will start making babies with some of the horrible mares around - and then ... the rest will be sad history.

Galaxy Sun 11-Oct-20 12:40:07

Johnson on the whole surrounded himself with those who agreed with his stance on brexit, it didnt matter what skills they possessed, this impacted on the quality of those around him.
What you called tory lite made a considerable impact on every family I know, many of whom were in desperate situations, their lives were better under Blair.

Anniebach Sun 11-Oct-20 12:45:05

Rubbish to claim the Blair government were Tory light , they
were not far left. The country will not vote for a far left government, Michael Foot, Corbyn

Whitewavemark2 Sun 11-Oct-20 13:18:14

trisher

Whitewavemark2 If you could explain "playing the Cummings game" to me I would be grateful. As it is I cannot see what use a LP Tory lite party will be in the next 4 years with such a huge majority in Parliament and actually insisting that those of us who believe in left wing policies are splitting the party is untrue. The policies are debated and agreed upon by party members. Unfortunately no-one seems to know which ones Starmer agrees with (and I have asked).

Divide and rule.

No one knows what the LP policies are because they haven’t yet been finalised. We have 4 years and the U.K. will be a very different place (hopefully) to what it is now.

If I was party leader I would see absolutely no point in wasting time on formulating policies knowing full well that things are going to fundamentally change.

Starmer is better employed acting as the opposition and dealing with Covid and Brexit.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 11-Oct-20 13:20:25

Don’t forget Brown in all of this he steered a very steady ship and ensured that Labour could achieve nearly all it set out to achieve. He was an excellent chancellor.

Anniebach Sun 11-Oct-20 13:36:24

I do want to say about Brown, he has a great sense of humour but he couldn’t’do tv, he is so much more relaxed off the screen.

varian Sun 11-Oct-20 13:46:36

But it was his unguarded off screen remark about the "bigoted woman" that finished him

varian Sun 11-Oct-20 13:47:21

Unfortunately he was being filmed when he thought he was off screen.

biba70 Sun 11-Oct-20 13:50:24

and she was ... anyhow. So what a waste of a good man.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 11-Oct-20 14:01:28

varian

But it was his unguarded off screen remark about the "bigoted woman" that finished him

What halcyon days they were looking back.

These days a remark like that would pass unnoticed, because we have lies, incompetence and downright criminal activity on the part of our politicians.