Gransnet forums

News & politics

Brexit for independence from unelected Politicians? Really?

(32 Posts)
biba70 Fri 09-Oct-20 12:29:19

Think about this one

Cummings has "instructed" ministers not to compromise on the Agriculture Bill - keeping low-quality food on the menu.

biba70 Tue 20-Oct-20 10:57:20

Remember the days clearly, when Brexiters said that leaving the EU will allow us to improve on agriculture standards ! The EU never prevented the UK from having better standards than rest of EU, but only requested that our standards were 'as good as theirs'. Farcical.

Jaberwok Tue 20-Oct-20 11:15:53

You people do make me laugh about animal welfare! Have none of you heard about fur farms, in Europe and the appalling way mink and many other creatures with a beautiful pelt particularly silver Fox are farmed and killed? Fois Gras? Not very nice way to treat birds! Factory farmed chickens, veal calves in crates, the list is endless!Does the EU reprimand any of the offending countries! er NO! I don't actually think even in our worse nightmare our animal welfare laws would sink to the diabolical levels that are practiced in many European countries!

Davidhs Tue 20-Oct-20 11:22:28

Biba70
I dont remember that statement and I was paying attention to the diatribe.

The fact is that British produce is regulated closely, with high environmental and welfare standards, everything is traceable and is audited. Traceable to the extent that every animal or field can be revisited and every event accounted for.
Yes, a field of cabbages has all the cultivation’s, planting, chemical treatments, fertilizer and harvest details recorded, the same for animals from birth to slaughter is accounted for. That is every farm in the UK, if the records are not there it is unsalable.

All this along with inspections is costly, it ensures that food is produced to the highest standard and is above most EU countries and vastly better than the US.

If the government want cheaper food, UK farmers can do it, give them equivalent standards to the US, GM crops, better chemicals, less welfare and environmental standards. Incidentally food prices are generally higher in the US despite lower commodity prices, so the processors and retailers are taking a bigger cut of the profit.

Davidhs Tue 20-Oct-20 11:27:05

Jaberwok, that is correct, all EU countries have their own rules within the CAP system, some are very different to the UK. Overall we are right at the top on standards and regulation.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 20-Oct-20 11:52:28

Jaberwok

You people do make me laugh about animal welfare! Have none of you heard about fur farms, in Europe and the appalling way mink and many other creatures with a beautiful pelt particularly silver Fox are farmed and killed? Fois Gras? Not very nice way to treat birds! Factory farmed chickens, veal calves in crates, the list is endless!Does the EU reprimand any of the offending countries! er NO! I don't actually think even in our worse nightmare our animal welfare laws would sink to the diabolical levels that are practiced in many European countries!

If you read my post correctly I was talking about our existing regulations.

This wretched government wants a de-regulation.

biba70 Tue 20-Oct-20 17:37:18

Totally agree Davidhs. And this is why Trump will insist that we drop those high standards, so he can import his dangerous, filthy to us- and worse- stop us making the choice by preventing labelling from telling us what we are buying.

The well off will be able to make the choice to buy direct - hopefully- but the huge majority won't, due to price. I do predict a massive rise in vegetarianism.

I just can't be asked (yes that is how I spell it) to check back pages and pages, but I distinctly remember some here on GN saying that leaving the EU will allow us to improve on standards. Perhaps others do too?