Gransnet forums

News & politics

Starmer calling for lockdown (Edited by GNHQ)

(263 Posts)
Daisymae Wed 14-Oct-20 07:44:34

Seems that Labour are breaking ranks and calling for a 2/3 week lockdown. Some Sage members agree and Whitty said that we are not doing enough. Personally I would support it, although it's not going to be popular. Looking at the mass gathering in Liverpool last night it's no wonder we are heading off a cliff.

Smileless2012 Fri 16-Oct-20 12:20:16

oh yes growstuff I got my tiers mixed upblush.

LauraNorder Fri 16-Oct-20 13:23:36

growstuff

I've just written this post on the Coronavirus thread, in response to LauraNorder:

By that logic, local lockdown will destroy Greater Manchester's local economy, but it seems you don't care about the lives of many millions of people.

No, you need to understand economics. The government can just get the Bank of England to "print" the money to support Greater Manchester, as it has done with the £13 billion for the ineffective Trace and Test. People will spend the money, be taxed on it and it will return to the Treasury.

You contradict yourself in your penultimate sentence. We do indeed need to act as a nation to protect each other, which is why Greater Manchester needs to be supported. 9 of the 27 council leaders in Manchester are Conservative and they are all backing Burnham.

And I have answered you Growstuff on the coronavirus thread. I have not contradicted myself. I believe we all have to do our bit, other UK economies need to continue to support those that can’t.

lemongrove Fri 16-Oct-20 13:40:25

LauraNorder

*Iam64*, I believe that his anarchistic stance, the way he delivered his protest will encourage the covidiots to put up two fingers to the government and go forth and party.
I don’t think that Andy Burnham would personally encourage this but I feel his current attitude will do so.

I feel it will too.
It’s one thing to ask if there can be more money, and another to set yourself up as a rebel, it gives licence to students and anyone else to carry on as they have been doing.Meanwhile more and more are contracting the virus there.

LauraNorder Fri 16-Oct-20 13:55:03

That was my thinking Lemongrove but you have expressed it much more clearly. Thanks.

LauraNorder Fri 16-Oct-20 14:10:34

Growstuff printing money is the biggest cause of inflation, the last thing this country needs now is runaway inflation. This is why I agree strongly in local lockdown first to try to nurse the economy along in order to help health across the board.
We all need to make sacrifices.

Iam64 Fri 16-Oct-20 14:40:05

Burnham isn't setting himself up as a rebel, though no doubt some may take that view. That was the approach taken against politicians and local people who marched to St Peter's square to protest about lack of franchise in "the north". They were massacred. It didn't escape the notice of those of us in Manchester, that Burnham spoke up for us from the steps of Central Library. The area of town where the massacre of Peterloo took place.
The northern Mayors remember the 80's. Thatcher closed the pits and devastated mining areas with no attempt to help the families left there, no work = the dole = heroin addiction, mental health problems, family break down. Then our industries went, again no investment in our infra structure that would have provided employment. Try getting a train from Bolton into Manchester. The trains are full by the time they reach Wigan. We desperately need investment. Burnham is doing his job, he's supporting his region.
To suggest that him demanding financial support will lead students to party - come on let's not get silly.

MaizieD Fri 16-Oct-20 14:49:04

printing money is the biggest cause of inflation,

It isn't actually. The government has been 'printing money' (well, issuing it directly from the Bank of England) all year. Has there been any inflation (apart from that in daily test and trace 'consultants' fees)? No, there hasn't.

Inflation is a result of too much money chasing too few goods. We're a long, long way from that.

If the government doesn't do anything to financially support people and businesses in lockdown the economy definitely will collapse because no-one will have any money to spend into it.

Rosina Fri 16-Oct-20 14:50:59

I made myself a promise not to watch any of the bulletins about Covid, having become almost apoplectic last week. However, I recently watched the news and heard a person from Liverpool saying that it was all a conspiracy, and when asked what he meant, he said he didn't know, but it was because 'we are Labour'. Last night I heard a person from Manchester saying that they were 'being picked on'. How are we to deal with this kind of stupidity? I really do despair if there are people who think that having a party immediately before lockdown is a good idea - who are they cheating? Only themselves and the people that they might well kill. In the beginning I hoped that the ignorant were in the minority - I still do hope that, and that the efforts of the rest of us will prevail.

growstuff Fri 16-Oct-20 14:59:02

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

growstuff Fri 16-Oct-20 15:03:10

Rosina

I made myself a promise not to watch any of the bulletins about Covid, having become almost apoplectic last week. However, I recently watched the news and heard a person from Liverpool saying that it was all a conspiracy, and when asked what he meant, he said he didn't know, but it was because 'we are Labour'. Last night I heard a person from Manchester saying that they were 'being picked on'. How are we to deal with this kind of stupidity? I really do despair if there are people who think that having a party immediately before lockdown is a good idea - who are they cheating? Only themselves and the people that they might well kill. In the beginning I hoped that the ignorant were in the minority - I still do hope that, and that the efforts of the rest of us will prevail.

I bet you wouldn't think it was stupid if you lived in Liverpool or Manchester. Liverpudlians haven't forgotten Geoffrey Howe's not to Margaret Thatcher suggesting that there should be a "managed decline" in Liverpool.

Yes, I think it's nonsense too, but angry people aren't always rational. Just look how some of them voted in the 2016 referendum!

Try putting yourself in their shoes!

By the way, Dominic Cummings is on record as having said that a dislike of the "south" should be encouraged in the north.

growstuff Fri 16-Oct-20 15:04:01

MaizieD

^printing money is the biggest cause of inflation,^

It isn't actually. The government has been 'printing money' (well, issuing it directly from the Bank of England) all year. Has there been any inflation (apart from that in daily test and trace 'consultants' fees)? No, there hasn't.

Inflation is a result of too much money chasing too few goods. We're a long, long way from that.

If the government doesn't do anything to financially support people and businesses in lockdown the economy definitely will collapse because no-one will have any money to spend into it.

Thank you Maisie. Your post saved me a job.

LauraNorder Fri 16-Oct-20 15:22:16

varian Fri 16-Oct-20 17:39:39

Please remember that inflation is at a historic low. So now must be the time to "print money" if there ever was a time. Our government, if it had the will to do so, could protect businesses and individuals and at the same time fight this virus.

It is not a choice between health and wealth. We can prioritise protecting health and still protect businesses.

Iam64 Fri 16-Oct-20 18:48:46

growstuff, I hadn't read that and will google - that Demonic C said a "dislike of the south should be encouraged in the north"

He is a destroyer isn't he. On record as saying he wants to destroy our civil service, our institutions. He wants chaos and the breakdown of society as we know it. How does an unelected man with such dangerous ideas end up running ur country?

varian Fri 16-Oct-20 19:18:15

Lest not forget that DC spent tbfee years in Russia.

Why should anyone assume that he has the best interests of our counry at heart?

varian Fri 16-Oct-20 19:19:13

Three years in Russia.

growstuff Fri 16-Oct-20 19:39:55

Suits me LauraNorder.

Iam64 Fri 16-Oct-20 19:50:46

varian, I try to avoid conspiracy theories but Demonic raises my feet off the floor. I cannot see him as a source for good no matter how hard I try.

varian Fri 16-Oct-20 20:03:37

I don't think you have to be a conspiracy theorist to be suspicious of Cummings.

Iam64 Fri 16-Oct-20 20:47:52

Agreed varian.

Janpt Wed 28-Oct-20 12:43:30

Janpt Wed 28-Oct-20 12:48:56

growstuff

LauraNorder

Growstuff printing money is the biggest cause of inflation, the last thing this country needs now is runaway inflation. This is why I agree strongly in local lockdown first to try to nurse the economy along in order to help health across the board.
We all need to make sacrifices.

[sigh]

As you don't like long posts and you probably wouldn't understand anyway, I'm not going to go into a detailed explanation about how quantitative easing does not necessarily lead to inflation. There are various measures the Treasury can take to prevent rampant inflation, including raising interest rates and taking the money out of circulation when the economy is recovering.

The immediate crisis is that millions of people in certain areas of the UK will lose their businesses and jobs, unless they are supported NOW.

Yi

Janpt Wed 28-Oct-20 12:53:21

Janpt Wed 28-Oct-20 16:13:49

Janpt Wed 28-Oct-20 16:17:02