Gransnet forums

News & politics

Boris' 'oven ready' deal becomes 'No Deal'

(263 Posts)
grannyactivist Fri 16-Oct-20 12:20:43

Can I ask what the GN leave voters think about this without the thread descending into vitriol please?

Davidhs Tue 20-Oct-20 19:27:40

I was hoping for tangible gains that I could actually get enthusiastic about rather than general aspirations.

It is over, we are leaving, in just over 2 months we jump into the unknown and we don’t have a clue what will happen.

Summerlove Tue 20-Oct-20 19:42:45

lemongrove

Being a truly independent nation will bring it’s own rewards,
It will take time to change/dismantle any EU laws and regulations that we don’t want and instigate our own ones.
No more eyewatering amounts of money coming from us to build marvellous roads in Poland and shore up other countries infrastructure at the expense of our own.
It’s true it will take time, but will be worth it in the end.
It’s over folks, it’s happening, no more EU for the UK and high time for all to stop the whining, moaning and general hand wringing.
Feel free to disagree of course, but accept it and move on.

Where do you think the money will go now?

paddyanne Tue 20-Oct-20 19:57:32

Eyewatering ammounts of money going instead to Bojo's mates!! You happy about that ? No returns at all ,at least the EU funded thousnads of projects in the "uk" every year giving us back much of what we paid and getting things done the government had neglected for decades.....but live in your fantasy land,it wont last long when reality hits home.

lemongrove Tue 20-Oct-20 20:10:46

Take a minute to think Paddyanne .....you want independence for Scotland after all.Some things are worth taking a hit for aren’t they?
If you want to be an independent nation without being tied into 27 other countries and whatever EU mandarins choose to impose on you then it will be worth it.

MaizieD Tue 20-Oct-20 20:18:49

But Scotland wants to be independent so that they can rejoin the EU grin

I think you forgot that bit, lemon.

lemongrove Tue 20-Oct-20 20:22:04

Nope, I didn’t forget....I was reminding Paddyanne that it’s good to be an independent country but they wouldn’t be if once they broke free of the UK they immediately fell under the yoke of the EU, with others deciding on what’s best / worst for Scotland.

biba70 Tue 20-Oct-20 20:25:14

nope, they would become PARTNERS as was the UK in the EU

lemongrove Tue 20-Oct-20 20:32:46

Oh yes ‘partners’ ?

biba70 Tue 20-Oct-20 20:37:30

Yes, indeed.

biba70 Tue 20-Oct-20 20:37:54

How much of a partner do you think Trump will be?

Jaberwok Tue 20-Oct-20 20:41:40

0h you are funny! Partners?! If you're a contributor. Maybe?sort of?! As a recipient, I don't think so! You have to tow the EU line of lose your subsidy! The EU treats poorer, dependent counties with complete contempt! Even the Dutch have little or no say over anything that doesn't fall into line with the big bullies! Poor Scotland, bye bye independence!

biba70 Tue 20-Oct-20 20:43:26

ah Jabber, I thought your comment was about being Trump's partner sad

Lucca Tue 20-Oct-20 20:46:12

How bizarre that pantglas post was deleted ? She was talking about a friend of hers, nothing to do with GN . Weird.

lemongrove Tue 20-Oct-20 20:48:54

I didn’t see the post, but was very surprised that pantglas had a post deleted.?

vegansrock Tue 20-Oct-20 20:56:22

We’ve already spent more on Brexit than our 47 years of membership contribution and it’s going to increase. So the saving money argument doesn’t add up. Anyway, what’s wrong with cooperation, helping others etc? Independence? No country is truly independent as they rely on others for all sorts of food, goods etc. which requires agreements and respecting other standards and laws Not just I’m all right Jack, I’m the boss attitude, The holy grail of true independence is undeliverable. Scotland and many of us didn't view the EU as a yoke , rather a protection, equal partners.

MaizieD Tue 20-Oct-20 21:50:43

I just don't see this mythical 'independence' as being a 'benefit' even if paranoid Brexit voters do.

Sod the money it's supposed to be 'saving' us, because that's already been spaffed up the wall by the process of 'leaving', the loss of many businesses and the cost of lorry parks and extra red tape. It never bothered me that a portion of our 'membership' fee was going towards helping poorer countries develop their economies. The 'fee' was such a tiny portion of our national budget, less than 2%, and I thought that the indignation aroused by the thought of contributing to the growth of poorer member states was petty and mean spirited (and I still do).

MayBee70 Tue 20-Oct-20 22:02:25

All countries depend on other countries in one way or another.

Daisymae Tue 20-Oct-20 22:29:52

I don't think that the government ever wanted a deal. We're heading over a cliff, there's going to be some big winners, needless to say that the majority will pay. I wonder how future generations will judge this period of history.

biba70 Wed 21-Oct-20 15:16:07

Apparently the conference with business leaders re preparations for No Deal and chaos in just over 2 months' time went well today - NOT sad

vegansrock Wed 21-Oct-20 15:58:43

The costly adverts have changed from Let’s Get Going to check the paperwork, there will be fees to pay etc, all this when the govt don’t have a Scooby Doo what businesses are supposed to be doing in preparation.

varian Wed 21-Oct-20 17:52:21

Let's just remind ourselves of the assurance that persuaded many guillible voters to vote Leave

twitter.com/iandunt/status/799282286185222145?lang=en

Whitewavemark2 Thu 22-Oct-20 10:29:29

I see Nuffield have announced that the NHS will find it almost impossible to cope post December if a deal is not struck.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 22-Oct-20 11:34:23

Report by some outlets that there is a provisional agreement with the EFTAs.

No details.

Oopsminty Thu 22-Oct-20 11:40:06

I'm not sure why people think the government don't want a deal

I'd have thought they would wanting a deal. Logical surely

The EU will also want a deal.

Hundreds of thousands of jobs would be at risk both here and in Europe

And now we have Covid which has changed everything

I'm quietly confident a deal will be reached

Whitewavemark2 Thu 22-Oct-20 11:43:56

Cummings doesn't want a deal. That’s well known, and it will include those who stand to gain enormously from betting on the stock market, should there be no deal.

However, I am hopeful that there are sufficient tories, who will put the interest of the U.K. before their own wealth.