Gransnet forums

News & politics

Boris' 'oven ready' deal becomes 'No Deal'

(263 Posts)
grannyactivist Fri 16-Oct-20 12:20:43

Can I ask what the GN leave voters think about this without the thread descending into vitriol please?

biba70 Thu 22-Oct-20 17:49:53

Not just Cumming, but the ERG as a whole. For reasons you state.

Oopsminty, the UK is asking the EU to negotiate the un-negotiable - to give in on basic principles which are immuable- and the ones Johnson himself signed and asked the House to countersign. Including the level playing field and the border between UK and EU which would leak like a sieve if it is not tight. That cannot move- Mrs May knew it well, and so did Johnson - and his Deal was quite a bit worse than hers. It is all nonsense- and clearly because that it what they always wanted. They lied and lied, because they knew no-one would vote for huge price hikes, for our agriculture industry to be destroyed (and it is massively bigger than fisheries- most of which have been sold to large foreign concerns anyhow), shortages of food and massive shortages of essential, life saving medicines and treatments, etc, etc.

varian Thu 22-Oct-20 18:26:52

There are quite a lot of billionaires, Tory donors, like the utterly repulsive Crispin Odey who has bet billions via hedge fund chicanery, on a no-deal brexit. They are rubbing their hands with glee.

www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/sep/28/hedge-fund-boss-crispin-odey-in-court-on-indecent-assault-charge

vegansrock Thu 22-Oct-20 18:36:10

Those who have converted ££s into €s will be laughing ( those hedge funds)

varian Thu 22-Oct-20 19:10:57

Why worry about no-deal Brexit? If Gove says it'll be better that's good enough for me

www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/oct/20/brexit-gove-no-deal-internal-borders

Whitewavemark2 Wed 28-Oct-20 14:38:16

Has anyone seen the message from the Board of Trade about Soy Sauce (they’ve spelt it soya sauce) post transition?????

Apparently the price will stay the same.

Good oh.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 28-Oct-20 14:41:44

Here. Is the message from the Board of Trade.

You couldn’t make it up!!

“The bakers used a lot of soya sauce in the first challenge on #GBBO, so it's a good thing it will be made cheaper thanks to our trade deal with Japan”

vegansrock Wed 28-Oct-20 14:43:50

We’ve already got a trade deal with Japan via the EU, and it’s a better one than the standalone one. Plus it’s cost us £££££££s extra.

Davidhs Thu 29-Oct-20 08:54:34

vegansrock

Those who have converted ££s into €s will be laughing ( those hedge funds)

Sterling has been too low for too long it is getting lot of support at €1.08, the financial markets have already factored in no deal. Short selling the Euro or even the Dollar would be a better gamble, currency traders can make (or loose) money buying or selling.

From this very low base I am expecting Sterling to recover to €1.30 within 12months - back to 2016 values. Covid will have little effect because most nations have problems, some even worse than U.K., no reason for us to lower than other major currencies.

That my cup half full logic.

MaizieD Thu 29-Oct-20 08:59:47

Whitewavemark2

Here. Is the message from the Board of Trade.

You couldn’t make it up!!

“The bakers used a lot of soya sauce in the first challenge on #GBBO, so it's a good thing it will be made cheaper thanks to our trade deal with Japan”

As, apparently, most of the soy sauce we currently buy comes from the Netherlands it's likely to become more expensive with its 'no deal' tariff on post 31/12/20 ?

annodomini Thu 29-Oct-20 09:24:19

One snippet I half heard is that BJ is dragging his heels on agreement with the EU until he knows the outcome of the US presidential election. Could this be so? And if it is, which horse is he backing?

Whitewavemark2 Thu 29-Oct-20 09:52:04

annodomini

One snippet I half heard is that BJ is dragging his heels on agreement with the EU until he knows the outcome of the US presidential election. Could this be so? And if it is, which horse is he backing?

I think that is true. He of course is desperate for a Trump win because of Brexit.

Biden is of Irish heritage, and has said that he thinks brexit is a massive mistake, as the USA prefers the U.K. remains in the EU because of our influence. Outside of the EU we are nothing and no use to the USA.

Davidhs Thu 29-Oct-20 11:20:58

If Biden does win its going to be a problem for BJ as it’s going to be much slower getting a trade deal with the US. Once they have got the Ireland issue agreed it will probably be little different, because the issues are the same - Buy America.