Gransnet forums

News & politics

We need a coup

(512 Posts)
Sparklefizz Thu 22-Oct-20 14:42:34

We most definitely do not need a coup in the middle of a global crisis with the pandemic. shock

Eviebeanz Thu 22-Oct-20 14:40:12

I think any MPs who would have stood against the government were already sacked at the first sign of dissent...

GrannyGravy13 Thu 22-Oct-20 14:35:41

I also doubt very much that enough Conservative MPs will/would vote against the Government.

Our armed forces swear allegiance to the Queen not the Government, not sure that the Royal Family have the appetite for a military coup?

growstuff Thu 22-Oct-20 14:35:00

How many "one nation Conservatives" with cabinet/senior experience are left?

Iam64 Thu 22-Oct-20 14:31:46

Elegran, as we have government with an 80 seat majority, how can we influence the change of direction which I agree we need. My impression is the ERG is losing influence within the Conservative party. We don't need another Thatcher, what about another Ken Clarke, or similar one nation Tory to step in and shift the party away from the right, and out of the hands of Demonic Cummings. Johnson is bad enough but the idea of an unelected SPAD running the country, with a view to destroying our Judicial processes, the civil service etc is infuriating.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 22-Oct-20 14:31:14

I heard Jeremy Hunt on GMB this morning, very measured and Statesman like.

I am not a Boris Johnson fan, but I honestly cannot see him resigning willingly

A coup is the last thing the UK needs in the middle of a worldwide pandemic and 9/10 weeks until the end of the EU-UK withdrawal agreement.

Jane10 Thu 22-Oct-20 14:26:23

As ever Elegran says it all.

Elegran Thu 22-Oct-20 14:23:09

My first reaction on reading the thread title was "NO! That is the last thing we need after all the chaos and confusion."

Then I read the post and would modify it to say that we definitely need a change of direction, but it MUST be done democratically, legally and without a trace of martial insurrection, bloodshed, or retribution and be solidly based on a sober foundation of research, discussion, consideration for all sections of the population, respect for the rule of law, and the concept of honour and humility in the service of one's country by all in public office.

A tall order.

GagaJo Thu 22-Oct-20 14:21:28

Not just Boris, but all of the cabinet. None of them are capable of their jobs. They are all utterly corrupt. For gods sake, we have an unelected man leading the country. And a rule breaking, corrupt one, at that.

This is way, way beyond party politics now. Whoever can step in and take charge of the whole covid mess and the needless and preventable deaths of thousands of people, and stop the theft of British tax payers money is OK by me, regardless of their political allegiance.

lemongrove Thu 22-Oct-20 14:15:22

I would like to think that Jeremy Hunt will take over, but cannot see Johnson going ( unless he really has ‘long Covid’).
No PM ever goes gentle into that good night....they all rage against the dying of the light ( their career.)
Am not keen on coups!

Iam64 Thu 22-Oct-20 14:08:08

GagaJo - I almost fell off my chair when I read "what we need now is A Margaret Thatcher". I read it as "we need Margaret Thatcher". I was worried you'd had a brain storm for a moment but yes, we need someone to sort this unholy mess Johnson and co are making.

The cash for pals issue is just disgraceful. They're shameless, that's the problem. They can vote to refuse to provide cash to feed the most vulnerable children at the same time as a handing over colossal amounts of our tax cash to their hopeless mates.

That 80 seat majority is a bit of a problem for those of us who would like to see this government brought down (legally - let's not send in the Army). I wonder how true are the endless rumours that Johnson will resign early next year. Then who do we get? Mr Hunt seems to be positioning himself as the thinking person's Tory. If the awful Gove got it, I'd consider moving to Scotland.

GagaJo Thu 22-Oct-20 13:52:01

Whether it is an internal Tory overthrow or another political group, we need the current criminal incompetents removed from power. They are willfully causing needless C19 deaths and in-full-view pocketing tax payer money with only the flimsiest of attempts to pretend they're not.

I'm no Tory (god forbid) but bloody hell, what we need now is a Margaret Thatcher to sort this unholy mess Boris and his buddies are making.