Gransnet forums

News & politics

The bus said it cost £350 million A WEEK to be in the EU

(76 Posts)
paddyanne Mon 26-Oct-20 23:30:24

The ONS confirmed it was actually £150 million today.
Thats a bit of a bargain....Scotland contributes £577 Million A WEEK ...not such a good deal when we have to go begging for finance when we need it .
Barnet isn't a GRANT its pocket money from our own income.
THATS the reason Gove has decided to have acampaign to "save the union" I think he means save England..we'll do very well without it.Shame so many down south haven't cottoned on to the truth yet .It will come as a shock when they realise WHO the scroungers are and it aint us!!

lemongrove Tue 27-Oct-20 16:01:25

Actually that’s a bit if PECSplaining going on..... I did not tell Scottish people ‘what they think’ at all.
If anyone thinks there is really no AntiEnglish feeling in Scotland then they're seriously deluding themselves.There has always been some.Yes, there is also antiWestminster feeling too and sometimes the two go hand in hand.

lemongrove Tue 27-Oct-20 16:05:15

This is a subject for a thread that is regularly brought up on GN by paddyanne....but since there is no chance of another referendum anytime soon it’s all a bit pointless.Have lost count of the threads on this in the last 3 years.

Alegrias2 Tue 27-Oct-20 16:11:29

I did not tell Scottish people ‘what they think’ at all.

Aye, ye did though.

You just don't realise you're doing it. That's what really gets our goat. smile

We also get quite annoyed when people tell us we shouldn't bother talking about the thing that's really important to us.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 27-Oct-20 16:15:50

Alegrias2

*I did not tell Scottish people ‘what they think’ at all.*

Aye, ye did though.

You just don't realise you're doing it. That's what really gets our goat. smile

We also get quite annoyed when people tell us we shouldn't bother talking about the thing that's really important to us.

?

lemongrove Tue 27-Oct-20 16:20:15

Talk about it all you like.....but it’s still a pointless exercise.

Alegrias2 Tue 27-Oct-20 16:23:41

lemongrove

Talk about it all you like.....but it’s still a pointless exercise.

Anybody wondering about the anti-English feeling in Scotland? We don't mind the English. (I married one) We just get tired of being dismissed and talked down to, so we'll be off out of your hair as soon as we can.

Dinahmo Tue 27-Oct-20 16:33:00

I haven't come across anti English feeling from the Scots but the ones I've met in recent years are surprised that we know anything about their culture. For example, when we've mentioned Charles Rennie Mackintosh and that we visited Glasgow School of Art during the late 60s the people we were talking to were surprised that we'd heard about him, let alone liked his work.

lemongrove Tue 27-Oct-20 16:39:13

Alegrias it’s a pointless exercise because there won’t be another referendum possibly for years.
Of course the SNP like to discuss it at every opportunity ( and they do) but there are important things at hand just now, Covid being the main one.

Firecracker123 Tue 27-Oct-20 16:43:46

You can talk about your so called independence till kingdom comes it's not going to happen you have had your Once In a lifetime Referendum. You wouldn't be independent anyway you would be ruled by Brussels and all this talk about an equal seat at the table in your dreams a little country like Scotland you would be swallowed up and what currency will you be using. Would you still be able to afford free prescriptions, free university places or do you think the EU will be dishing out the money to you.

PECS Tue 27-Oct-20 16:49:32

EllenVannin I am proud to be a citizen of a country that seeks to support other less wealthy nations to reduce the impact of poverty. The more stable other countries are the less violence and disruption there is which in turn can lead to civil wars and people becoming refugees seeking safety.

Alegrias2 Tue 27-Oct-20 16:52:09

Of course the SNP like to discuss it at every opportunity ( and they do) but there are important things at hand just now, Covid being the main one.

That's not true though, is it? The SNP do not discuss independence at every opportunity, they are too busy running the country in a time of national crisis to do that. You go too far when you suggest that our government prioritises constitutional matters over public health. If you took the trouble to really understand the political situation in Scotland you would understand that for all parties, constitutional matters have taken a back seat to handling the pandemic.

Lucca Tue 27-Oct-20 16:53:39

So paddy Anne there’s a nice well reasoned response from Firecracker. Plus ça change......
If certain posters can start up 83 threads about harry and Meghan which are welcomed with Unholy glee every time then why on earth can’t you talk about an important political issue.

Firecracker123 Tue 27-Oct-20 17:21:12

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Smileless2012 Tue 27-Oct-20 17:28:44

"83 threads about harry and Meghan", didn't realise I'd missed so many Lucca.

EllanVannin Tue 27-Oct-20 17:30:32

Okay PECS but why the big deal on the cost of staying in the EU ? This was my meaning.

EllanVannin Tue 27-Oct-20 17:32:40

The cost of staying in the EU was NOT the reason for leaving if people spoke the truth.

Lucca Tue 27-Oct-20 17:35:44

Smileless2012

"83 threads about harry and Meghan", didn't realise I'd missed so many Lucca.

Bad luck !

Lucca Tue 27-Oct-20 17:37:34

Message deleted by Gransnet as it repeats a previously deleted post. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Barmeyoldbat Tue 27-Oct-20 17:43:38

I can see no reason why Paddanne or anyone else shouldn't be able to bring up the subject of independence,. As its been said Megan and Harry, Brexit, this government etc are all brought up time and time again, so why not Scottish Independence.

PECS Tue 27-Oct-20 17:49:46

EllanVannin I think the money spent on both Foreign Aid & EU is money well spent grin & do not mind my taxes being spent there.

Urmstongran Tue 27-Oct-20 18:36:53

I surely can’t be the only one who wishes that the Brexit result had NEVER been announced per country.

Scotland. = remain
Ireland = remain
Wales = leave
England = leave

As a UNITED Kingdom I think these announced divisions have split us all and caused resentment.

I wish the result had just said:
UK ?? = leave

I’m sure we might have wondered who did what but sometimes ignorance is bliss.

⁉️

Jaberwok Tue 27-Oct-20 19:05:41

My DH has always maintained this Urm! I think on reflection that it would have been better and probably saved a lot of confrontation!

MaizieD Tue 27-Oct-20 19:46:08

I surely can’t be the only one who wishes that the Brexit result had NEVER been announced per country.

Dreadfully inconvenient for you Brexiters, isn't it? People can be so awkward when they've a bit of knowledge...

lemongrove Tue 27-Oct-20 19:56:02

It wasn’t ‘inconvenient’ at all, but it did turn out to be divisive in the whole of the UK. Enraged Remainers didn’t help in England either.

The Scottish referendum on independence was divisive too.
We met a Scottish couple on holiday who told us that they were selling up and moving to a different village as they had had so much aggro when it got out they had voted to stay in the Union.
That will all kick off again if there is another one.

MaizieD Tue 27-Oct-20 20:00:28

Well, of course it was divisive. It was a very emotional question and people cared deeply one way or the other.

I'm just shock that anyone should think that individual results should have been kept secret. That's very anti-democratic...