Gransnet forums

News & politics

What does a President Biden mean for the UK?

(110 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Fri 06-Nov-20 14:49:37

paddyanne

I think this is the only way the US will get a female president ..and a black one .There is still a great deal of prejudice against women in power and we hear daily the issues the Black community still faces and the hatred aimed at Obama and his family .Theres along way to go before racial equality or equality for women becomes the norm in the USA.Kamela Harris may well be the last chance for either for a long time if Biden fails to win

Not all bad, the USA has elected a female black vice-president.

Never happened before. Never had a female Vice President, nor black female.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 06-Nov-20 14:42:28

Biden win also tells us that nationalism can be beaten.

paddyanne Fri 06-Nov-20 14:36:57

I think this is the only way the US will get a female president ..and a black one .There is still a great deal of prejudice against women in power and we hear daily the issues the Black community still faces and the hatred aimed at Obama and his family .Theres along way to go before racial equality or equality for women becomes the norm in the USA.Kamela Harris may well be the last chance for either for a long time if Biden fails to win

Whitewavemark2 Fri 06-Nov-20 14:25:21

Someone just stated that it is very likely that the USA could end up with a black female president, which will be a final chapter in Trumps fall.

He first came to prominence over the birther lie and the black president Obama. And it could end with a black female president.

What poetic justice!

Whitewavemark2 Fri 06-Nov-20 14:21:20

I’m afraid there we will have to disagree oops

Biden first concern will be to mend bridges broken by Trump with the biggest European block which is of course the EU.

We know that he has repeatedly warned the U.K. that he will not tolerate any threat to the GFA which was brought into being by the USA.

We know that we have been told that the U.K. will have to wait it’s turn along with other countries, as he doesn’t see the special relationship as all that special.

We know his opinion of a Johnson is not high, and he indeed as described him as a pound shop Trump.

This is going to directly affect the Brexit decisions, which is exactly what I have been hoping for since the election began.

Oopsminty Fri 06-Nov-20 14:14:10

* Biden sees Trump as a pound shop Trump. *

Do you mean he sees Boris as a pound shop Trump?

I doubt Biden is giving the UK much thought at all to be honest

Oopsminty Fri 06-Nov-20 14:11:59

A Biden presidency would not necessarily have radically different priorities for trade negotiations with the UK', Policy Exchange stated in July.

'US trade objectives largely reflect stakeholder concerns and retain a degree of bipartisan consensus.'

This was echoed by Sam Lowe, senior research fellow at the Centre for European Reform think tank, who tweeted last month that 'The US objectives for UK-US trade deal under Biden would be pretty much the same as under Trump, particularly on agriculture'.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 06-Nov-20 14:08:07

OK I’ll start it off

Brexit is going to be more difficult. No support from Biden.

Biden sees Trump as a pound shop Trump. (So do I )

Jane10 Fri 06-Nov-20 14:07:47

I saw an interview in which it seemed that our relationship with US would be better as it was less likely to be based on a Trump Johnston friendship. Seems reasonable to me.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 06-Nov-20 14:05:11

Just that