Gransnet forums

News & politics

Mink Farms in Denmark

(91 Posts)
GrannyGravy13 Sat 07-Nov-20 12:05:11

I was under the impression that animal welfare was high and regulations strict in mainland EU Countries, but after seeing videos and reports from Mink Farms in Denmark I am disgusted!!!

The Mink have caught Covid-19 from their jailers it has mutated and they have in turn passed it back to the human race!!!

Apparently the mutation is on the spurs of the virus (not sure of the technical name) which enables the virus to attach to human cells.

aggie Mon 09-Nov-20 10:13:49

Cats are everywhere ! I don’t need to get my own , they come rubbing up against me ... yuck ...and they are spreading their hair all over the place ?

grandtanteJE65 Mon 09-Nov-20 10:18:58

Well, until everyone stops just buying animal products without taking the time to find out how they are produced, nothing will change, will it.

Witzend Mon 09-Nov-20 10:27:22

I never buy Danish bacon anyway, but almost wish I was in the habit of buying Lurpak (pale anaemic stuff IMO) so I could boycott it.

I do agree that all this seems to go right against the usual opinion of Denmark (and I dare say Scandinavia generally) - ‘...so right thinking and right-doing, better than us anyway’ - and possibly a mite smug and complacent about it.

At any rate, they can shove their nice cosy hygge right up their collective bottom - I’ve always thought of that as a very clever marketing ploy by whoever hit on it - to persuade people to spend lots of money on throws and candles, etc.
As if we didn’t have our own brand of winter cosiness, thank you.

Alexa Mon 09-Nov-20 10:53:15

It is ironic that this coronavirus is helping animal welfare. I hope the fur trade will disappear from Denmark and everywhere else. Revolting!

Alexa Mon 09-Nov-20 10:59:37

I agree throughout with Hetty. Cruelty to animals comes in degrees of cruelty.

There is no justification for consuming foie gras or fur.

The only justification for cheap factory farmed meat and dairy is the majority of people cannot a

There is no moral excuse for saving pennies by long distance animal transports, or piece work in abattoirs.

Alexa Mon 09-Nov-20 11:00:20

afford top welfare standards.

travelsafar Mon 09-Nov-20 11:43:15

OMG this is all so scarey. I am glad that DH and i are not big meat eaters and never have bacon. I will be very vigilant when i go shopping this week to make sure i don't purchase items from anywhere but UK. That may be hard me thinks as so much comes from abroad especially fruit and veg. Due to the mild weather i still have lettuces growing in my unheated greenhouse. I cover them up at night just in case. I had one yesterday for tea and the difference in the flavour was amazing. My husband commented on the smell when i put it in the sink to wash saying, that smells earthy!!! It was so tasty. I also have beetroots that i still pull and then roast. I have also frozen some of these and they defrost perfectly and can be eaten with a salad.

MayBee70 Mon 09-Nov-20 21:30:55

People from other parts of Denmark are still travelling all over the world so I don’t think it’s Danish bacon that we need to worry about. And it’s a pity that so many mink were released by well meaning animal rights activists all those years ago. Not only have they decimated our water voles but they may become carriers of this new strain of COVID. I’d also be concerned about people having pet ferrets given that they are pets that have close contact with their humans.

vegansrock Mon 09-Nov-20 21:40:02

twitter.com/opencagesuk/status/1325883356022763520?s=21
Horrible report from the independent on chickens bred for Tesco completely deformed and unable to fend off viruses that can affect humans - it’s the human exploitation of animals that has led to this pandemic and intensive animal agriculture continues. Don’t just criticise Denmark , look to our own backyard.

BlueBelle Mon 09-Nov-20 22:05:04

I had no idea about any of these Mink farms never having been interested in fur as a textile I think the world needs to wake up to animal husbandry and yes cut out a lot of the meat eating

Hetty58 Tue 10-Nov-20 00:17:04

MayBee70 said:

'And it’s a pity that so many mink were released by well meaning animal rights activists all those years ago. Not only have they decimated our water voles but they may become carriers of this new strain of COVID.'

Yes, it's a shame that they were released - but no, they won't become carriers.

The farmed mink caught Covid from close contact with infected farm workers - under very unhygienic, unnatural conditions.

In fact, the majority of epidemics and pandemics have direct links to humans farming animals.

Alexa is spot on. The silver lining may be an end to the terrible conditions of factory farming, let's hope so anyway.

Hetty58 Tue 10-Nov-20 00:20:51

NfkDumpling, what a silly remark about vegans and cats. Of course vegans can have cats - and yes, cats do need meat, being true carnivores. There is no conflict as veganism doesn't extend to pets!

MayBee70 Tue 10-Nov-20 00:30:04

But ferrets might catch COVID?

welbeck Tue 10-Nov-20 00:35:03

i read today that the mutant mink virus is in israel.

Hetty58 Tue 10-Nov-20 00:49:08

It is certainly possible that other mammals (those in close contact with people) may catch Covid. How much danger they'd pose in transmitting it back to people is unknown. It's not likely to be much of a threat, though. The main danger comes from fellow humans.

I used to worry about Rabies entering the UK (bound to happen sooner or later) and the (slim) possibility of pets having to be compulsorily euthanised. Now it's worry about Covid.