Gransnet forums

News & politics

Trump is using "crowd funding" in order to help pay off his debts.

(48 Posts)
Dinahmo Tue 10-Nov-20 18:51:43

Trump spent $1.6 billion on his election campaign, apparently more than he could afford and now is asking for help to cover his debts. The following is an excerpt from a piece in the Guardian today, written by Poppy Noor

"As Trump continues to refuse to acknowledge the election result by baselessly claiming that Biden’s victory was won through voter fraud, he is also calling on his base for help. Donations can be made to two different funds – Trump’s personal fund, and his joint fund with the RNC.

“President Trump needs YOU to step up to make sure we have the resources to protect the integrity of the election!” the wording on both funds says, which is featured in a huge pop-up on Trump’s re-election webpage. It continues: “Please contribute ANY AMOUNT IMMEDIATELY to the Official Election Defense Fund and to increase your impact by 1,000%!”

It is unclear who matches the donations.

But if you scroll down, past the information about the “Left-wing MOB” trying to “undermine our election”, you’ll see some fine print. On Trump’s personal fund, it dictates that of all donations raised, only 50% will go towards a recount effort, and that “50% of each contribution, up to a maximum of $2,800 ($5,000), [will] be designated toward DJTFP’s 2020 general election account for general election debt retirement until such debt is retired”. "

rosecarmel Wed 11-Nov-20 13:46:15

pollyperkins

It’s ok to say person of colour. But to call someone coloured is wrong. Personally I find it hard to see the difference. I prefer to say black, Asian etc (if you really need to specify their ethnicity that is)

Rule of thumb for me, if not meant to demean, it isn't disrespectful- When someone specifies a preference, I use the term they prefer when speaking to them directly- On discussion forums, however, it's impossible to keep track of preferences and has never been expected in my experience-

pollyperkins Wed 11-Nov-20 14:01:09

I absolutely agree Rose. But it’s sometimes hard to keep track of what is currently acceptable.
I have friends my age who think it’s correct & respectful to refer to someone as a ‘coloured gentleman’ and think a ‘black man’. is offensive. They are not trying to demean- quite the reverse.

pollyperkins Wed 11-Nov-20 14:04:19

Because 40 years ago that was the case! I have a friend who prefers to be called black and finds coloured offensive. But she told me her mother still refers to herself as Coloured.

Onthenaughtystep1 Wed 11-Nov-20 14:35:20

I find the term Afro American offensive. It surely should be simply American.

maddyone Wed 11-Nov-20 14:43:11

Didn’t Meghan say she was a woman of colour?

Nannytopsy Wed 11-Nov-20 15:37:23

Black was offensive when I was young and coloured was polite. Cant see a difference between coloured and person of colour.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 11-Nov-20 20:10:50

So Trump is moving his supporters into the Pentagon.

One retired general has previously had his post refused ratification because of his racist and false allegations against Obama.

Another is well known for his xenophobia and racism.

rosecarmel Wed 11-Nov-20 22:12:12

There seem to be 2 schools of thought: proceed with caution, this could be worse than we thought and this whole rigamarole has to do with him doing everything in his presidential power to distract and cover his tracks left from past actions, fearful that once out of office people will seek to haul him, and others, into court-

Whitewavemark2 Thu 12-Nov-20 07:15:15

On 20 January he will no longer hold any office and if he remains be a trespasser in the WH.

But he has a little over 2 months to cause mayhem. Is there no way of clipping his mad wings?

PollyDolly Thu 12-Nov-20 07:30:55

Can't he sell a golf course or a hotel to raise a bit of cash?

PollyDolly Thu 12-Nov-20 07:36:51

It will also be interesting to see if Biden, once he actually get the keys to the WH, allows the portrait of Trump to be put up along with the previous Presidents or refuse to do so like Trump did with Obama!

Whitewavemark2 Thu 12-Nov-20 07:39:07

Biden will behave like an adult and the gentleman he is. And no doubt reinstate the portrait of Obama.

rosecarmel Thu 12-Nov-20 15:18:18

Whitewavemark2

On 20 January he will no longer hold any office and if he remains be a trespasser in the WH.

But he has a little over 2 months to cause mayhem. Is there no way of clipping his mad wings?

He isn't flying anywhere, he's flapping and making a mess- Perfectly- And by doing so revealing so much more about him, his presidency, administration, the Republican party and all of his supporters-

And the country- As a whole-

Come January he will be gone- But our problems will not, problems that need to be kept front and center and not swept under the again- Ever-

Whitewavemark2 Thu 12-Nov-20 15:21:27

It seems to me that if the problems are ignored, then Trumpism will seem like a gentle interlude to what might come after.

rosecarmel Thu 12-Nov-20 15:35:07

Trumpism brought forth all that came before, revealing it in all it's ugly glory, the hatred that had been passed from one generation to the next- The marginalizing of non-white, not straight, not wealthy and not men-

DiscoDancer1975 Thu 12-Nov-20 16:41:53

We weren’t allowed to say’ black’, when I was at school in the sixties. ‘Coloured’ was what we had to say, and we were slippered ( caned for the boys), if we got it the wrong way round. As for Trump, I’d definitely contribute financially to have him sent to Mars. You never know, there may be something there on his level!

AGAA4 Thu 12-Nov-20 17:09:32

What have the Martians ever done to you DiscoDancer? smile I wouldn't wish Trump on anybody.

DiscoDancer1975 Thu 12-Nov-20 18:03:03

AGAA4 fair point?

Davidhs Thu 12-Nov-20 19:28:03

shock

Callistemon Thu 12-Nov-20 20:38:19

I don't understand that, Davidhs

Melania Trump is not Russian.
She's Slovenian (and American)
Slovenia is a member of the EU.

varian Sun 15-Nov-20 17:07:16

Dominic Cummings is not Russian either, but he has still done Russia's bidding.

MayBee70 Sun 15-Nov-20 21:19:37

Why has no one investigated what he got up to during his years in Russia?