Gransnet forums

News & politics

Desperately keeping Cummings (sorry)

(165 Posts)
GagaJo Thu 12-Nov-20 09:25:30

Fight with Carrie. One aide has left. Cummings threatening to walk out (let him go was the cry!). But still. Why is she interfering? They're bad enough without WAGS getting involved.

uk.yahoo.com/news/lee-cain-resigns-boris-johnsons-211237124.html

Dinahmo Thu 12-Nov-20 18:15:18

Women are often the power behind the throne and I'm sure that in the privacy of the bedroom powerful men have listened to their partners - pillow talk!

If Johnson did listen to her and gets rid of Cummings, isn't that a good idea?

Summerlove Thu 12-Nov-20 18:33:13

I read an interesting article about the American election, about how people were using Joe Biden’s surname but Kamala Harris’s first name. That it showed an implicit bias towards the strength of men and sexism.

It’s interesting to see the same thing happening here

MayBee70 Thu 12-Nov-20 18:47:26

Matelda

I find all the jeering comments about Carrie Symonds being a WAG and needing to get back into the nursery quite upsetting. She is a former Director of Communications for the Conservative Party, just like Lee Cain - oh, but of course he's a man!

I thought she was sacked from that position. Or was it another one? She was sacked from something. They all seem to have been sacked at one time or another.

Davidhs Thu 12-Nov-20 20:31:19

Kamala Harris is pretty popular amongst Democrats even though she is not a hard line liberal and gets criticism for being too hard on blacks.
The use of first name started with Hillary who should have won the previous election, it’s a term of endearment and not meant to diminish the person who I’m sure is titled Senator Harris officially. Popular she may be but got elected on Biden’s ticket she is number 2, it’s what happens in the next 4 yrs that matters.

Callistemon Thu 12-Nov-20 20:45:12

NoddingGanGan

Carrie needs to get back into the nursery. The country voted for Boris, not her.

Carrie needs to get back into the nursery
What decade are you living in?

She's brighter than him.
Let him be the stay at home Dad.

But she's probably not as Machiavellian as Cummings.

Summerlove Thu 12-Nov-20 20:49:43

Davidhs

Kamala Harris is pretty popular amongst Democrats even though she is not a hard line liberal and gets criticism for being too hard on blacks.
The use of first name started with Hillary who should have won the previous election, it’s a term of endearment and not meant to diminish the person who I’m sure is titled Senator Harris officially. Popular she may be but got elected on Biden’s ticket she is number 2, it’s what happens in the next 4 yrs that matters.

I firmly disagree that it’s endearment.

Iam64 Thu 12-Nov-20 20:52:12

It certainly isn't endearment.

GagaJo Thu 12-Nov-20 20:57:48

Matelda

I find all the jeering comments about Carrie Symonds being a WAG and needing to get back into the nursery quite upsetting. She is a former Director of Communications for the Conservative Party, just like Lee Cain - oh, but of course he's a man!

But she isn't right now.

It's like me leaving my teaching job, then going back in and telling kids what to do. Not on at all.

She's just a civilian now.

Callistemon Thu 12-Nov-20 23:19:44

I'd love to know what proof there is that Carrie vetoed the appointment of Cain.

Yes, is it all innuendo, perhaps based on a chance overheard remark?

We are told on GN never to believe anything we hear in the MSM!

B9exchange Thu 12-Nov-20 23:23:59

According to the BBC, Dominic Cummings will be leaving his position by the end of the year, as he said he would last January.

MayBee70 Thu 12-Nov-20 23:38:10

Not sticking around to be responsible for the carnage he has created then.....

NotSpaghetti Fri 13-Nov-20 01:44:43

Of course it doesn't really matter who comes and who goes, it's the same bunch of chums running things.

Allegra Stratton’s husband is the Spectator’s political editor, James Forsyth – and Rishi Sunak was the best man at their wedding.

They are lots of them linked to the Spectator and Boris Johnson was the former editor of the magazine and Dominic Cummings the husband of the magazine’s commissioning editor, Mary Wakefield.

vegansrock Fri 13-Nov-20 04:26:11

Rats leaving the sinking ship comes to mind.

silverlining48 Fri 13-Nov-20 07:34:32

Cummings is leaving by Christmas, wondering where he is going?

Whitewavemark2 Fri 13-Nov-20 07:35:01

A Tory MP described the whole lot of them as

“They are children, ideologues and self obsessed fools”

The trouble is with children running the show we find ourselves in the worse situation we can possibly imagine.

Lucca Fri 13-Nov-20 07:35:35

Brussels ?

Oldbat1 Fri 13-Nov-20 07:52:13

And breathe! Thank goodness. Horrible man with ideas beyond his station. He will be ok though. Lots of family money there.

Elegran Fri 13-Nov-20 08:30:59

Two pieces of good news today - Cummings is leaving and Peter Sutcliffe has died.

Iam64 Fri 13-Nov-20 08:37:24

Elegran - exactly the comment I made to my sister ten minutes ago.

Galaxy Fri 13-Nov-20 08:47:32

Thinking about it if Johnson had spent more time 'getting back to the nursery' and less time trying to be PM we would all be in a much better situation.

mcem Fri 13-Nov-20 08:47:57

Trying (with difficulty) to be objective, I have to say that I wonder why CS shouldn't end her maternity leave and apply for Cain's job.
I don't know if she was sacked from the post and admittedly the idea of yet another unelected influencer is dire but the "nursery" comments are unacceptable.

So now we can cross off Trump, Cain, Cummings and Sutcliffe.
Not bad for Friday 13th!

Iam64 Fri 13-Nov-20 08:49:02

Sounds like a good plan mcem

Whitewavemark2 Fri 13-Nov-20 09:26:47

The Brexit Queens have had their day. Get rid of Gove and Hancock along with their leader and we can begin to try to make some sense if the mess they have made

felice Fri 13-Nov-20 09:30:31

Not sure what kind of welcome he would get here in Brussels, we only just got rid of one unpleasant man and not sure if Cummings would be much of an asset.
Who knows perhaps he will need a visa, I wonder what his reaction would be if it was turned down hmmgrin.

trisher Fri 13-Nov-20 09:44:05

Cummings is Going! (sorry) Do you suppose someone has offered him a good deal?