Gransnet forums

News & politics

Dominic Cummings has left No.10.....

(110 Posts)
Ramblingrose22 Fri 13-Nov-20 20:13:51

...to clear the air apparently.

If the air needed clearing and couldn't be cleared unless he left the premises we can imagine how bad the atmosphere must have been.

But before we get too excited, we won't see the back of him for another month. He's still going to carry on working for the PM behind the scenes till mid-December. Boris needs his ideas for as long as possible so that's understandable.

What I don't understand is why he was thought to be some kind of genius in the first place.......

Deedaa Sun 15-Nov-20 17:35:33

Rory Stewart is streets ahead of Boris when it comes to intelligence and common sense. He's one of a very short list of MPs that I would actually like to meet.

varian Sun 15-Nov-20 16:51:37

BORIS JOHNSON IS 'THE MOST ACCOMPLISHED LIAR IN PUBLIC LIFE', SAYS EX-CABINET COLLEAGUE

www.joe.co.uk/politics/boris-johnson-accomplished-liar-255203

Ex colleague Rory Stewart just confirming what many of us already knew.

Whatdayisit Sun 15-Nov-20 11:24:37

Thankyou Whitewavemk2.
Once again Boris is insulting the British people if he has finally got rid of Cummings because of 'princess nut nuts'.
People have died alone families have grieved alone vulnerable people have spent months isolated unaware of whythey have no visitors; people are losing so much financially they may never recover from this - yet this has been BoJo's tipping point. He is a disgrace.
I enjoyed reading Rory Stewert's review of Boris's biography. There is a man who knows Boris.

Lucca Sun 15-Nov-20 10:01:04

Stansgran

So is Carrie elected ? Or is she someone we should be worried about?I know she’s a young woman hanging onto to an older man but I don’t know else anything about her. Should we worry?

“A young woman hanging on to an older man”

Why would she need to ? Excuse me for finding that post a tad sexist........

CarlyD7 Sun 15-Nov-20 09:48:13

I do wonder if this coincides with Joe Biden winning the Presidential election? Biden is very pro-Ireland, and if we want a trade deal with the USA, Biden will insist on no hard border between Northern Ireland and the Irish Republic (which would, of course, break the Good Friday agreement - which Johnson seemed about to do). Johnson seems to be clearing out his Leave team - perhaps in preparation for more compromise on the EU trade deal? We can only hope.

MaizieD Sun 15-Nov-20 09:47:47

Where did that splendid invective come from, WwMk2?

Daisymae Sun 15-Nov-20 09:01:16

All extraordinarily convenient for the architects of the glorious exit from the EU who will not be about to steer the country/government/PM through the ultra smooth waters about to lap at our shores in January.

vegansrock Sun 15-Nov-20 08:06:48

Maybe he’ll head off back to Russia, but then he’d miss all the glorious Brexit “benefits” wouldn’t he?

Rubes Sun 15-Nov-20 07:30:34

I agree with Pattie47. Exit was staged managed. Also, usually they release official confirmation of someone leaving their post. There has been no official confirmation, such as a letter from Boris thanking Dom for all his hard work etc etc.
Until I see official confirmation from Downing Street, as far as I'm concerned, he has not resigned, nor been sacked.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 15-Nov-20 07:06:58

Did anyone hear the interview with the deputy chair if the 1922?

I’ve never heard such rubbish!

“Now that Cummings and Cain have gone we’ve got our dear Boris back where he belongs, in the heart of the party”

Dear oh dear .

It was Johnson’s choice to have Cain and less able at the head of the No 10 strategy, he stood by as throughout the leave campaign, the seeds of myth and division were sown and flourished, resulting in a country divided as never before.

Johnson stood by when lies were told and hyperbole rife, to the point that trust has now never been so low by a population of its government.

Johnson’s year of government has been one of u turns and incompetence with corruption and cronyism rampant. Family and friends, donors and supporters have had billions of our pounds pour into their coffers as nothing was delivered, or it was so piss poor it was unusable.

Johnson stood by when the Cummings the rule maker broke the rules, then lied about breaking them and watched as Cummings lined his family’s pockets with tax payers money.

Johnson watched as Cummings tried to trash the institutions for which the U.K. has been admired and copied throughout the centuries. He allowed 5 good civil service heads with years of experience to fall back on to be replaced by Cummings preference.

Johnson stood by as Cummings began to tackle the Military heads, the MOD and intelligence service. What on earth does Cummings know about these institutions? Bugger all.

Johnson stood by when the media was “disciplined” for giving the wrong message or being off message, by refusing interviews or not being invited to attend press conferences.

Authoritarianism and division, has characterised Johnson’s government, and the Tory party are pleased he’s back in the fold!!!

Johnson has been responsible for everything and oversaw it all with approval until what?

His latest squeeze being called “Princess nut nuts” That he will not tolerate. Those responsible must go!

It is the stuff of everything we have previously despised in leadership.

How on earth can Johnson be considered fit for the post of Prime Minister?

BlueBelle Sun 15-Nov-20 05:53:01

Are we sure he’s left?
Can we believe anything we re told?
Is it a ploy? it all seems too smooth to me and dare I say a bit staged
Does Johnson know how unpopular Cummings is and is being ‘seen’ to do the right thing or more likely Carrie has ‘given him advice on how to become a hero’
I don’t trust ANY. Of then

vegansrock Sun 15-Nov-20 05:19:40

Johnson backed Cummings over his lying about driving to Barnard Castle, yet sacked him for calling his girlfriend “ Princess Nut Nuts”. Can this be true?

GrannyRose15 Sun 15-Nov-20 01:07:05

Cambia

Who’s in charge, Boris or Carrie? Hope it is Carrie, we could do with a woman’s common sense and less ego!

I'd agree if she had been elected.

Grandmafrench Sat 14-Nov-20 22:49:16

It's not just any old box, (nor even an M&S one) it's a box which staff around the world are given when they have to clear their desks and leave immediately. His little "look at me" moment leaving No. 10 was rather ruined, I thought, by his later appearance outside his own front door, when he'd quickly reverted to his homeless person image, wandering back from the Deli with carrier bags filled with champagne and wearing the world's most tired-looking trackie bottoms.
Glad he's gone!

trisher Sat 14-Nov-20 22:43:26

I just wonder what they are all doing in and out of No 10 with no social distancing or masks! I mean I know Boris has had it but what about the rest of the staff? Did Cummings put on a mask when the taxi he phoned for turned up? Or is that just something the rest of us have to do?

nannyness Sat 14-Nov-20 22:32:14

Doodlebug. Well said. We know nothing.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 14-Nov-20 19:12:14

Joplin

Cummings is supposed to be incredibly intelligent - & Carrie is very clever too. Her objections to Cummings & the other one who resigned are supposed to be largely behind the rows & brewing tension. The press have been aware of the shenanigans for days & I expect they've been virtually camped outside no.10 so they wouldn't miss anything. Cummings contract finishes next month, which is why he'll be working from home. Even if he was asked to leave by the back door I doubt he'd have complied.

I think quite frankly that their cleverness is spin, much like Johnson. None of them live up to their PR.

Joplin Sat 14-Nov-20 18:45:04

Cummings is supposed to be incredibly intelligent - & Carrie is very clever too. Her objections to Cummings & the other one who resigned are supposed to be largely behind the rows & brewing tension. The press have been aware of the shenanigans for days & I expect they've been virtually camped outside no.10 so they wouldn't miss anything. Cummings contract finishes next month, which is why he'll be working from home. Even if he was asked to leave by the back door I doubt he'd have complied.

KaEllen Sat 14-Nov-20 17:38:49

Whatdayisit Sat 14-Nov-20 15:32:43
" .... I have more confidence in the Downing Street cat."

smile grin

Well, this is what happens if people vote on one issue only. Johnson had no programme beyong his stupid 'get Brexit done'

gran5up Sat 14-Nov-20 17:34:20

Looks wicked, acts wicked, is too "weirdo and misfit" for the job.
My brother read," Eagle" comic in the 1950s featuring Dan Dare and The Mekon...whatever happened to him??

Whitewavemark2 Sat 14-Nov-20 17:23:51

If it is all staged, it just shows what contempt he holds us all in.

grannydarkhair Sat 14-Nov-20 17:11:34

If you don't object to bad language, then Janey Godley has just put up a new clip on YouTube re D.C. walking out. She's been doing very funny Nicola Sturgeon briefing ones all year. Some of her animal ones are also brilliant, as are her Donald Trump ones. JG is hugely popular up here in Scotland, a genuinely funny woman.
I'm another who thinks his walking out looks staged.

Maremia Sat 14-Nov-20 16:44:35

Unfortunately, I agree with Doodledog and the Others who think this departure has been 'staged'. Still wearing his security tag? Well spotted.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 14-Nov-20 16:40:26

Symonds was sacked for incompetence and over claiming on her expenses.

She must feel at home now

vegansrock Sat 14-Nov-20 16:37:11

I think Carrie got sacked from her last job( in the Tory party) so a shoe in for the next taxpayer funded consultancy post.