Gransnet forums

News & politics

It has never been my intention to cause upset to anyone.”

(46 Posts)
Alexa Fri 20-Nov-20 15:12:20

Is not an apology it's an expression of regret. As such it is ambiguous. Patel was sorry she had made herself unpopular.

If Patel was truly apologising she would have taken responsibility for her error, and tried to make amends.

MaizieD Sat 21-Nov-20 11:31:37

As I understand it he resigned because Johnson asked him to rewrite his report to underplay the bullying.

Johnson is in an awkward position as the report has been on his desk since July. Questions could be asked as to why he didn't take action on it then? Or even, did he read it?

quizqueen Sat 21-Nov-20 11:39:49

I always thought it was the Civil Servants bullying the MPs!! I imagine they don't like having a right wing boss, especially a strong minded ethnic woman. I like her.

eazybee Sat 21-Nov-20 11:58:22

Alexander Allan stated in 2012 that he would resign from his role as PM's independent advisor if he felt he was bypassed.

This he has now done, of his own volition.

He was not gently nudged out, neither was he sacked.

MaizieD Sat 21-Nov-20 12:02:24

He was not gently nudged out, neither was he sacked.

Absolutely, eazybee, he resigned on a matter of principle. I realise that this is an alien concept to many people, most noticeably to our PM, but also to many of his supporters.

He was actually being asked to lie..

Oldbat1 Sat 21-Nov-20 12:41:14

I am somewhat amazed the number of gransnetters supporting this proven bully? Boris Johnson seems unable to do the right thing - he is an extremely poor judge of character. She should not be in the cabinet full stop.

M0nica Sat 21-Nov-20 21:18:10

Quizqueen What does it say about you, that you support and approve a proven bully?

NotSpaghetti Sat 21-Nov-20 22:07:52

I am appalled by this thread and the casual acceptance of what is obviously bullying.

As someone who has dealt with similar cases, it makes me sick to my stomach.

The idea that a grown woman doesn't know what she's doing in this situation us ludicrous.

Lucca Sat 21-Nov-20 22:11:19

“ Johnson has texted Tory MPs telling them to "form a square around the Pritster".”
I really do despair.

vampirequeen Sat 21-Nov-20 22:15:19

They've all got their fingers in the same corrupt pie. They know each other's dirty secrets so are bound to each other and to protect each other.

sharon103 Sat 21-Nov-20 22:16:55

JenniferEccles

Does there have to be an element of intent in bullying?

With what most of people understand by the word I would say yes.

School bullies aggressively targeting a fellow pupil is intentional, whether it takes a physical or mental form.

Ms. Patel is a tough cookie who probably has set high standards for those who work for her so maybe there are times when she has to speak rather sharply to her staff.

Too many people these days seem to want to jump on the ‘I was bullied’ bandwagon.

She has said she had no intention of upsetting anyone so it should be left at that.

I am pleased the PM has stood by her.

Well said.

JenniferEccles Sat 21-Nov-20 22:20:38

Thank you sharon103

NotTooOld Sat 21-Nov-20 22:59:59

I've worked with bullies and always managed to hold my own but I have no respect for someone who is reported to shout and swear at staff. That is not the way to gain support and goodwill. I've no idea if PP is a bully or if she is just a strong woman wanting to get things done but there is a worrying lack of transparency in this case.

growstuff Sat 21-Nov-20 23:23:14

A bullying inquiry, commissioned by Michael Gove, found that Patel's behaviour did break the ministerial code. That's good enough for me to believe that she did.

growstuff Sat 21-Nov-20 23:25:13

Too many people make excuses for bullying. There's no excuse for people who haven't experienced it in a workplace to claim that people jump on a bandwagon. It's obvious they have had no personal experience of interactions at work.

growstuff Sat 21-Nov-20 23:26:54

NotSpaghetti

I am appalled by this thread and the casual acceptance of what is obviously bullying.

As someone who has dealt with similar cases, it makes me sick to my stomach.

The idea that a grown woman doesn't know what she's doing in this situation us ludicrous.

There were multiple incidents. There's no way she didn't know the effect of her behaviour.

Curlywhirly Sat 21-Nov-20 23:27:12

Hmm, I do wonder if those who support PP in this scenario, would be as supportive if it was a high profile Labour MP who had behaved as PP has? Just saying....

vegansrock Sun 22-Nov-20 04:02:29

If it were Diane Abbott swearing and shouting at her colleagues would that be supported I wonder?

FannyCornforth Sun 22-Nov-20 04:21:32

People who act like Patel does are demonstrating that they are out of their depth.
They know that they're not up to the job; they panic, and take it out on everyone around them.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 22-Nov-20 06:38:40

Patel has been found guilty of bullying.

The person complying the report has resigned in protest at the Prime Minister’s behaviour.

Patel retains her job, and presumably continues to work with those she has (is?) bullying.

Imagine what the atmosphere must be like in the Home Office.

Imagine how those who filed the complaints (of which there were many) are now feeling.

Imagine, how, if the code of conduct is side stepped, how those in power will continue to break rules without accountability.

Imagine how this is all going to end.

Curlywhirly Sun 22-Nov-20 08:08:22

vegansrock

If it were Diane Abbott swearing and shouting at her colleagues would that be supported I wonder?

Vegansrock oh, I think I know the answer to that one!

Whitewavemark2 Patel retains her job, and presumably continues to work with those she ha (is?) bullying.
I just hope she doesn't know which individuals reported her - she could make their working life hell.