Gransnet forums

News & politics

Boris Johnson: another photo shoot....

(118 Posts)
MayBee70 Fri 27-Nov-20 10:35:49

Why does he spend most days (when he’s not self isolating) being filmed in a school, laboratory, shop wearing a variety of costumes and hats. Has this always happened? I’m sure it didn’t. It’s as if he’s permanently on some sort of campaign trail. Shouldn’t he be at a desk somewhere working? This has been bothering me for a long time now.

Ellianne Fri 27-Nov-20 14:26:18

Good point Oldtimer60.

suziewoozie Fri 27-Nov-20 14:26:23

Ellianne

I don't actually know sw because as you say they can't say. I'm guessing the politicians don't like people knowing they've had a lot of "help" to make them look good!

The thing is it is always so obvious. I remember a few weeks ago seeing a photo of RS and BJ striding manfully and purposefully, holding folders on their way to something important or other. It was an excellent photo and quite arresting as it was shot from a slightly unusual angle. I remember at the time thinking that some lurking press photographer got lucky. The next day I found out it was the first one from the new official photographer. I didn’t come up on the down train ??

suziewoozie Fri 27-Nov-20 14:29:54

Oldtimer60

Well, I am no fan of Boris Johnson or this Conservative government but having photoshoots and news conference while visiting various workplaces, finance centres and hospitals etc began during the 2018 general election. In many ways, it has been very effective in portraying Boris and his cabinet members as "being out there" among all that is going on in their hi-vis jackets and casual clothes.

The above has to be compared to Keir Starmer who always seems to be in Westminster when interviewed or photographed dressed in his pristine suits often looking very out of touch, which as recent events have demonstrated he often he is.

Some of this will be about press coverage surely - visits by government mi jesters and especially the PM will always attract more coverage. And in terms of being out of touch, I think it’s probably a draw.

suziewoozie Fri 27-Nov-20 14:30:44

Meant ministers obvs but jesters will do ??

MayBee70 Fri 27-Nov-20 14:33:43

Surely being out and about isn’t the best thing to do during a pandemic. Doesn’t it give mixed messages. I’d rather MP’s we’re at Westminster or at home but on zoom. Maybe Boris Johnson prefers wearing costumes given that he looks such a mess in a suit (unlike Keir Starmer who looks ministerial imo).

Oldtimer60 Fri 27-Nov-20 14:39:07

I could not agree more suziewoozie with your comment at 14:29 that both leading party leaders are in reality out of touch. However, Boris surely appears to many who struggling this year, especially, in their everyday lives to be "more on the ground" than Starmer who always looks trapped in a Westminster men's quality suit bubble.

Ellianne Fri 27-Nov-20 14:42:02

I'm thinking we have to hand it to some of these universities and their courses in multi media communication, creative journalism, photography etc. They certainly train their students well. Although a red brick uni girl myself, I was amazed (almost jealous) at the course DD's friend did at Bournemouth uni and it has landed her a great job in politician land.

suziewoozie Fri 27-Nov-20 14:42:47

Oldtimer60

I could not agree more suziewoozie with your comment at 14:29 that both leading party leaders are in reality out of touch. However, Boris surely appears to many who struggling this year, especially, in their everyday lives to be "more on the ground" than Starmer who always looks trapped in a Westminster men's quality suit bubble.

But it’s all image isn’t it? People are so easily fooled sadly.

Ellianne Fri 27-Nov-20 14:47:00

And there you have it in your comment sw!
These photos are masterpieces in fooling people. What is interesting is that the photographer has cleverly recognised the mentality of their readership and plays on big time.

Ellianne Fri 27-Nov-20 14:47:40

*on it

Oldtimer60 Fri 27-Nov-20 14:54:28

MayBee70

Surely being out and about isn’t the best thing to do during a pandemic. Doesn’t it give mixed messages. I’d rather MP’s we’re at Westminster or at home but on zoom. Maybe Boris Johnson prefers wearing costumes given that he looks such a mess in a suit (unlike Keir Starmer who looks ministerial imo).

Many people have to be "out and about" during this pandemic if essential services are to be maintained in this country. Therefore if Johnson and his Minister can visit those places safely and without causing disruption to the work being carried out that in my view is a very good thing.

Starmer it would seem would never dream of doing such a thing, as putting on a hi-vis jacket may crease and soil his premium quality suit and we cannot have that. ?

Alegrias2 Fri 27-Nov-20 14:57:59

Keir in Hi Vis smile

Oldtimer60 Fri 27-Nov-20 15:01:02

Alegrias2

Keir in Hi Vis smile

Very few and far between instances as compared to Boris which are almost daily. ?

suziewoozie Fri 27-Nov-20 15:03:47

Oldtimer60

MayBee70

Many people have to be "out and about" during this pandemic if essential services are to be maintained in this country. Therefore if Johnson and his Minister can visit those places safely and without causing disruption to the work being carried out that in my view is a very good thing.

Starmer it would seem would never dream of doing such a thing, as putting on a hi-vis jacket may crease and soil his premium quality suit and we cannot have that. ?

I think ths comment is ridiculously unfair - really. You have no idea what KS is doing without a camera being there. And apart from scruff pot BJ, most ministers look smart in well cur premium quality suits. I know exactly what you’d say about KS if he looked as scruffy as Johnson.

Oldtimer60 Fri 27-Nov-20 15:10:46

suziewoozie we know exactly what Keir Starmer is doing when the cameras are not there, he continues his mission to tear apart and destroy the Labour Party. Even the Guardian are now saying that it is now virtually impossible for the Labour movement and party to remain as one.

Niobe Fri 27-Nov-20 15:12:27

If Boris is out and about most days making the most of his photo ops who is running the country? Oh yes Cummings is still on the payroll “working from home”!

Ellianne Fri 27-Nov-20 15:13:17

Perhaps they're all auditioning for the "gilets jaunes" boy band? grin

lemongrove Fri 27-Nov-20 15:16:24

PM’s have done these photo shoots/ opportunities out visiting factories etc for a long time, particularly at difficult times for the country or near elections.
As another poster has mentioned already, there were constant cries of ‘where’s Boris’ not so long ago, so people can’t have it both ways.

suziewoozie Fri 27-Nov-20 15:18:21

Oldtimer60

suziewoozie we know exactly what Keir Starmer is doing when the cameras are not there, he continues his mission to tear apart and destroy the Labour Party. Even the Guardian are now saying that it is now virtually impossible for the Labour movement and party to remain as one.

As a long time reader I wouldn’t trust the Guardian’s analysis and opinion on KS and the Labour Party but really don’t want to go off on that siding.

silverlining48 Fri 27-Nov-20 15:19:10

Niobe this was the point I was trying to make but it seems some people are happy our PM is playing dress up even though there is proper work to do. Or as you say DomCom is still running the show.
Brexit is upon us, there must be something he could occupy himself with...personally my wish would be a deal or a delay given covid and all that means but that’s another post.

Ramblingrose22 Fri 27-Nov-20 17:08:00

Boris might just be a frustrated actor, wanting to dress up in different costumes in new places. At least he hasn't dressed up as a chicken yet like one of the advisers who left recently.

One place Boris visited and where he had a photoshoot was at the factory of one of his party's donors in which he sat on their equipment. I'm not saying what the equipment was to give them another free advert.

Perhaps we'll see a photo of Boris soon that mirrors the DiaperDon one!

Jane10 Fri 27-Nov-20 17:59:20

Alegrias my Covid death stats came from the Office of National Statistics UK and the National Register of Scotland. Scotland has 25% more deaths per million of population than England has had. Nuff said.

Ellianne Fri 27-Nov-20 18:10:13

Is today Boris' first day out from isolation? Maybe that is why we are getting an extra helping of "out and about" photos today?

Galaxy Fri 27-Nov-20 18:15:25

It's amazing how some in the labour party choose to moan about starmer on every thread related to the tory party, one would almost believe they were tories in disguise.

vampirequeen Fri 27-Nov-20 18:17:10

I'd rather he was doing his job than posing for photos. Our country is in the midst of a health and economic crisis with the Brexit disaster just around the corner and he's busy having his publicity shots taken.